Best quarry sytem?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

MikW

Anyone have any suggestions on an efficient quarry system? I'm on DW20 1.10.2, I have a quantum quarry, but it's not that efficient since it costs a ton of rf to run. Any other good quarries?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Anyone have any suggestions on an efficient quarry system? I'm on DW20 1.10.2, I have a quantum quarry, but it's not that efficient since it costs a ton of rf to run. Any other good quarries?
The RFTools Builder block with a quarry card might be your friend. It can be made to silk touch I believe, but naturally that increases the cost of use. Unlike the quantum quarry, this isn't "virtual" (i.e. unlimited) mining, and you may end up with huge holes in your world where you've used it. It is also pretty thirsty for RF regardless though.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... If you have enough steel, you can build the Immersive Engineering Excavator, which can get an awful lot of resources, though it's also pretty power hungry. You might have to wander around a bit to find a place you can get resources from it. It doesn't eat holes in the world, but will eventually run out of resources in a chunk.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
If you want to dig into actually additions a bit the vertical digger with 3 boosters is a pretty effecient mining solution. It can mine everything or just the ores at 33x33 all the way down. I'm using this in age of engineering until I get to a good void ore miner.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you already have a Quantum Quarry, you may be best served to simply up your power generation game. Having a never ending, stable, low lag, maintenance free system is worth the hassle of dedicating a major project to power it, in my opinion. Most auto mining setups are pretty power hungry, but many will require significantly more user upkeep. Power, on the other hand, is easy to create, and can be done by using any number of fuels you likely have stockpiled (coal from said quarry, being an easy go-to, but charcoal is effectively infinite, and let's not forget the good old Culinary Generator).

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Or solar panels if you really wanna get lazy with it. With a couple of advanced solar panels, I was able to run a QQ at full speed, day or night, not that I had a night because it also powered my celestial manipulator and every RF based machine at my base while the rest charged up a DE RF storage multiblock.

I can't possibly imagine needing that to run a quarry faster than that, but you can have multiple QQ's as well. It's only 2000 RF/t to max it out, which is more than, say, a buildcraft quarry, but you don't ever have to set it up in a different place or anything. It just generates more ores than you could ever hope to use.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Do people still build boring machines/world eaters with Frames?- in terms of raw digging power those well engineered machines beat pretty much anything.
(depending on which port/config setting your using, the frame machine may not need that much power either).

I haven't built a WorldEater outside of a creative test some years back. The idea has always intrigued me. Anyone try using the AA Vertical Digger or few on a framed machine? I used Mining Wells way back in my old test, and I'm curious now as to how the new tech works in similar designs.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I haven't really built a world-eater since 1.4.7. That was basically a giant knife that cut a 1-block wide swathe of terrain and had only one issue, which is when it ran into the Gigantic Extra Biomes XL Redwoods, which were 2x2 and it got stuck. Fixed that and it kept going until I got bored with the series. Basically gave me all levels of resources at once, and looked awesome. I even had Xycraft water blocks on the back to cool the lava into obsidian as it went past.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Do people still build boring machines/world eaters with Frames?- in terms of raw digging power those well engineered machines beat pretty much anything.
(depending on which port/config setting your using, the frame machine may not need that much power either).
A wat?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Basically, it's a platform (frames, from RedPower, Funky Locomotion, or similar) of Mining Wells or AE Destruction Planes than passively moves through the world "eating" everything it passes over or comes in contact with. Direwolf20 has built a few in his numerous series (Forgecraft season 6 seems about right, but I wouldn't put money on it).

If you run Minecraft WorldEater through the Google machine, it should give you food for thought.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Basically, it's a platform (frames, from RedPower, Funky Locomotion, or similar) of Mining Wells or AE Destruction Planes than passively moves through the world "eating" everything it passes over or comes in contact with. Direwolf20 has built a few in his numerous series (Forgecraft season 6 seems about right, but I wouldn't put money on it).

If you run Minecraft WorldEater through the Google machine, it should give you food for thought.
Seems overpowered.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hah, back in 1.4.7 you couldn't use Tesseracts because they HATED being moved.

But yeah, the hardest part is getting everything to stick to the frames, and not stick out in order to get sheared off. Personally I will eventually get enough resources to do one with Engineer's Toolbox, which I'm hoping eventually updates to a newer version. Mostly though it's all about having the resources to get infinite resources. So a self-defeating goal most of the time.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Hah, back in 1.4.7 you couldn't use Tesseracts because they HATED being moved.

But yeah, the hardest part is getting everything to stick to the frames, and not stick out in order to get sheared off. Personally I will eventually get enough resources to do one with Engineer's Toolbox, which I'm hoping eventually updates to a newer version. Mostly though it's all about having the resources to get infinite resources. So a self-defeating goal most of the time.
Yes like the Builder Block, you need insane power gen to keep it running, but the amount of resources you need to keep it running comes the mining. An infinite cycle of produce power with auto mined resources, and then use that power to get more resources, to make more power.