Best minimap?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm setting up a small server with a custom modpack for 1.7.10. There would be probably like 4-8 of us, not too busy. But I have seen that some people have a mapping app that lets them view the shared map for everyone online.

I have been using Journeymap and I'm not sure it has that feature or not, to be honest. But there are also some other map apps out there that let a player "claim" a chunk or whatever, too, right? Doesn't that act as some kind of protection from griefing? Not that we have to worry about that too much on a private server, but it'd still help alleviate territory disputes.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The chunk claiming feature you've seen may have been one of the features of FTB Utilities, rather than a map app - if its been on someone like Direwolf 20's videos, that's what it will be.

That aside, I don't know of any map sharing mods unfortunately - only the vanilla mechanic of copying an actual vanilla map that you've used while exploring, and then giving the copy to someone else! :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's entirely possible that the map someone showed me was something they made out of the map mods, too. So I guess if there's no automated way to so, Journey map shoud do just fine since I'm already familiar with it.

The chunk claiming being part of FTB utilities makes sense. I won't bother with that one either, then. TBH, we dont' need it. It's a private server that will be populated by adults. Thanks!

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
JourneyMap has a way to publish your world map to be viewed in a browser. Its in there somewhere, sorry I'd have to fire up a 1.7.10 instance to verify where.
You will also need to claim chunks first in order to keep them chunkloaded if you choose to use the FTBUtilities method of persistent chunkloading. You should wait a few days and fire up your server with 1.10.2 Beyond- wink, wink!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
We're not setting the server up for 3-4 weeks, so if things change before then, I'll re-evaluate. I'm actually torn between using my custom pack and going with a pre-made FTB pack anyway. The advantage to the custom pack is that I can migrate my existing world over and not have to start from scratch. I also don't need to update anything as it works fine as-is and I'm not into wasting more time maintaining it than I have to.

On the other hand, I am kinda dying for a 1.10.2 pack, and I AM looking for something infinity-esque. But, my current pack is already infinity-esque.

So, really, as tempting as that is, and i reserve my right to totally flip flop a week from now, lol, I think I'm going to stick with my custom pack for now. The server will be a bit more noob friendly and it's OK if it's not super balanced (like with openblocks being EZ mode and all)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan :)

I've got the same thing with my single player custom pack; because my laptop is a potato and will probably struggle a fair bit with quarries and such, I've decided to stick in Mystical Agriculture (and Tiny Progressions) - I've already done quite a bit without it, so I don't feel too bad about going down a path that'll be a bit easier on my computer!