Best material to start mining Cobalt? (TiC in DW20 1.10)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I've been using cobalt for my hammer head (though slightly regretted removing the iron head as Magnetic II was nice - ended up making an AA magnet instead), Ardite for the Petramor on the handle, and copper plates with mending moss to help it last longer. It won't go on forever, but its pretty nice.

I am planning, however, to make both the AA Drill (as its lovely and the upgrades are nice) AND the IE drill, because I basically want all the things. As mentioned by others, I do silk touch redstone ore, as I'm building up a stock of Red Orchids, plus cinnabar is nice.

Also, as I haven't yet got anything with Fortune on, I've been silk touching any diamond ore I find, and putting it through a Pulveriser with the Tectonic Initiator in it, as I get a guaranteed 3 diamonds at least. Its not tonnes, but it helps. What's the most diamonds you can get out of Fortune III, does anyone know?

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Level III gives a chance to multiply drops by 2, 3, or 4 (20% chance each, averaging 120% increase). (From minecraft wiki).

However, quark's ancient tomes can net you a fortune 4 book, which does work with the mana enchanter. I ended up using a dark pick for fortune and an AA drill for everything else. If it follows the pattern, this can end up multiplying the drops by 5.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Level III gives a chance to multiply drops by 2, 3, or 4 (20% chance each, averaging 120% increase). (From minecraft wiki).

However, quark's ancient tomes can net you a fortune 4 book, which does work with the mana enchanter. I ended up using a dark pick for fortune and an AA drill for everything else. If it follows the pattern, this can end up multiplying the drops by 5.
Ah nice!

I did a quick search on my lunch break, and it looks like the average drops on Diamond ore comes out about 2.2 when using Fortune III; in theory, that means that if I put all my diamond ores through the pulverizer with tectonic injector, I will be doing better than Fortune III at least. Certainly for now, at my fairly early stage in the game, that's not bad!

Looking at the maths, if there is indeed a pattern, then Fortune IV would give a chance to multiply drops by 2, 3, 4 or 5, with a 16.6% chance each. This is assuming that it holds true that 1 drop will always have a weighting of 2, and the remaining possibilities have a weighting of 1. Throwing that all into a spreadsheet and looking at the numbers, that should lead to an average of about 2.67 diamonds for Fortune IV! Which is not bad! I'm going to keep using my Silk Touch + Tectonic Pulverizer for now, I think that'll do me well for a bit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah, in that case... Iron Head, Silver Plate, Sponge Plate, Handle of your choice. Beyond's got the option for Blood Magic woods to repair from your blood network.

And a mod I don't know the name of, that's in Foolcraft, restores Alumite, and gives it a hilariously over powered World Traveler ability, which basically teleports anything you've mined back to a selected inventory, including Interfaces as far as I can tell. And the ability to turn it on and off.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Ah, in that case... Iron Head, Silver Plate, Sponge Plate, Handle of your choice. Beyond's got the option for Blood Magic woods to repair from your blood network
Is THAT what the Blood Wood does??? Blimey! Makes blood magic worth getting into again! Awesome :)

What does the sponge plate do?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, in that case... Iron Head, Silver Plate, Sponge Plate, Handle of your choice. Beyond's got the option for Blood Magic woods to repair from your blood network.
A sponge plate is pretty terrible for speed. A sponge rod boosts durability quite nicely though

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmmm... so, a couple combinations then:

Bloodwood Plate x2, Cobalt Head, Sponge Rod. Picks up speed as you go, has enough open modifiers to either boost the size to a 5x5, or throw on three modifiers of haste and be even faster.

Cobalt Plate, Bronze Plate, Iron Head, Sponge Rod. Swings fast, occasionally doesn't use durability, Silk Touch and hilariously cheap to repair.

M

MikW

I see how my thread has become a best tinkers mining tool discussion from a simple question of a material to mine cobalt XD.

Reactions: Inaeo

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
don't forget that a tinker's 5x5 is actually missing the corners (by design I have been told) and in the Minecraft 1.10 and newer versions you can repair your advanced tools with the plate or the head materials.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My only problem with putting cobalt plate on is that it changes your mining ability to being able to mine anything, which is actually detrimental to my strategy of silk-touching ores. Unless you want to just silk touch the hammer itself, which seems counterproductive.

Honestly, 10% faster speed isn't really all that huge in the long run since you're just using the tool for the 'main line', not the branches. And mining out a 5x5, except corners, is a huge swath of material removed.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
At least we're still talking about Tinkers? Did you get the answer you needed?
I am just sad that EnderIO is still on 1.10.2, while DenseOres has skipped straight to 1.11.
Otherwise, the SagMill would have been relevant in the case of Dense Cobalt Ore.

If Dense Ores, TiC and EnderIO compat would've been configured like it was in MC 1.7.10, that is.

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk