Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Thaumcraft 4

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Other (share in comments)

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
I remember Reika giving an interesting take on the difference between magic and tech mods when he was intervewed on Behind The Mod, which relates to how they're documented. Basically, with tech mods everything is explained clearly and completely; for a block, the full details of how it functions and how to use it, and for an item a full list of things it can do. With magic mods, the documentation is much more vague, relying on the player to experiment and often being more composed of flavour text than explanations. Another thing related to this is that descriptions of items in magic mods talk to the player directly ("you think you understand enough to make this...") while tech mods hardly ever do.

To answer OP's question I can vouch for Thaumcraft in the early to midgame and then Chromaticraft in the mid to endgame.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Again, this is an ages old thread, BUT honestly I didn't notice until I looked carefully, because in many ways that question could be asked now - some folks are still playing 1.7 packs.

As it seems like an interesting thread to look at again through 2017 eyes, I'm going to throw a new mod into the mix: Astral Sorcery.

That has a thaumcrafty feel in terms of the book, flavour text and stuff; although mechanically its probably more techy and less magical than Thaumcraft in some ways, its still pretty darned magical. Plus the visuals and aesthetic are lovely and have a sense of magic to them, in my opinion.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It feels very like the old Thaumcraft 2, back when moving nodes wasn't a thing you could do, and so you'd have to set up near them to get results.
Indeed.

Man, you remember the old compass thing you used to have... or was that in thaumcraft 3... where it has like a crystal inside that rotates and points towards the nearest node. Hah, just looked it up: that was the old thaumometer! Hah.

Is it just me that is hugely sold on the aesthetics of Astral Sorcery? I think its a beautiful LOOKING mod! Reminds me of some of the best bits of Ars Magica 2.

Reactions: KingTriaxx
A

Anonim007

Chromaticraft is worth being put on the list. Other notable magic mods include Druidry, Totemic, and Roots. Also there is EssentialCraft 3, although it is more like a technomancy mod.