Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forge Relocation

• Truss

• Total voters

AnonTheMouse

Jul 29, 2019
This might seem like an odd question, but whenever someone discusses a frame mod, the focus is always on functionality. What kind of machines can you build with it? How efficient is it? That sort of thing...

The thing is, I don't care about that. The thing I liked about Redpower frames was aesthetics. With the awesome power of microblocks, it was possible to make them look like anything, and I used it. One of my first projects was making a fully functional elevator for my base, with a carpeted, wood panelled interior. So, when I look for a replacement mod, my list of questions always starts with asking "Could I make my elevator?" Sadly, guides and spotlights don't really cover my kind of uses and I have to guess.

For instance, I see a number of packs that use Funky Locomotion. However, what little I've been able to learn is that it eliminates the use of covers for tool-toggled sides. That sounds like you can't insert microblocks right into the frame, and have to put them on top. Not exactly ideal for making machines designed to blend into a building. Maybe I'm wrong, though. I don't want to download a pack just to test one mod, so can anyone tell me? If you're looking to make small machines that can fit inside a building and blend with their surroundings (esp. things like elevators and secret passages), which frames work best?

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Out of these four mods I tried Remain in Motion and Truss. RIM was a good alternative to Redpower's invention; I used it for a while, but it still had some complications. Regarding Truss - I couldn't manage it to load - it's been crashing the game.
I value functionality over looks, so my opinion might not matter. I needed these features: easy configuration, easy frame side toggling, ability to tell where the structure is being blocked, ability to build a moving quarry/bore.
Thus I started to make my own implementation. Currently my mod has 'frames' will all those features I wanted. With addition of compact redstone dust implementation and some other useful blocks one can build a relatively compact structures. But frames can't be decorated and the mod is for 1.10.2.
I haven't tried to build an elevator with my frames, but I think it would be easy.