Best energy sources?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Qodek

Jul 29, 2019
So, what is the best way to make energy in most FTB modpacks? What is the best and more efficient at early game? And midgame? And lategame? Which one do you prefer? And for storing energy?

Malaclypse

Jul 29, 2019
It's hard to provide suggestions for "most" mod packs, since the actual mod list can vary so much.

Early game I usually use something based on coal or charcoal. If they're available, survivalist generators are very efficient and cheap, but slow.

Mid game, I either build a big tree farm to supply me with charcoal, or pump lava from the Nether. Charcoal would usually get used to generate steam, then the steam used to produce power.

Late game normally means some sort of nuclear power -- typically Big Reactors or Mekanism, though there are some more exotic options too.

For power storage, I usually start with a battery of some sort -- Thermal Expansion's Energy Cells, Mekanism's Energy cube, or the small capacitor from Ender IO. Something like that. Mid game is the same, but maybe with a higher capacity battery. Late game calls for one of the big multi-block power storage systems. Something like that pretty Draconic Evolution energy storage ball, a big block of Ender IO capacitor banks, or a Mekanism Induction Matrix.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Early game I used to use survivalist generators, but I have learned the Ender IO sterling is a better choice, with the same characteristic of being able to direct connect without cable/conduit.

Mid game is a passive BR reactor. You can make as small as a 1 core very cheap that puts out over 200rf/t and all it requires is fuel. I have used them onsite next to a quarry in addition to my base. I have not used dynamos in a long time.

Late game I don't think anything beats a BR turbine. Even the low tier electrum coil will put out 12K rf/t. Enderium puts out over 24K rf/t and apparently Ludicrite puts out even more.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
As for storage, TE energy cells early and mid game. Late game would be either or both EIO capacitors and Draconic energy cube. I will usually build a 1 billion rf bank of caps then Draconic. The max size energy cube holds over 2 trillion rf. the most I've had in one was 1.xx trillion rf. that took a long time feeding it a steady diet of 48k rf/t.

SireHans

Jul 29, 2019
Early game I used to use survivalist generators, but I have learned the Ender IO sterling is a better choice, with the same characteristic of being able to direct connect without cable/conduit.

Mid game is a passive BR reactor. You can make as small as a 1 core very cheap that puts out over 200rf/t and all it requires is fuel. I have used them onsite next to a quarry in addition to my base. I have not used dynamos in a long time.

Late game I don't think anything beats a BR turbine. Even the low tier electrum coil will put out 12K rf/t. Enderium puts out over 24K rf/t and apparently Ludicrite puts out even more.
I am really curious what is you BG and Turbine setup? Mind posting a picture?

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I am really curious what is you BG and Turbine setup? Mind posting a picture?
http://prntscr.com/7orafa

http://prntscr.com/7orcz9

http://prntscr.com/7ord8c

Beginning of last setup with main reactor and an experimental reactor. The permanent reactor was a bit larger than the one in center and was both passive and actively cooled. It powered 8 turbines. The main reactor pictured powered 4 turbines before "running out of steam". It was easily upgraded to make all the power we needed for 8 turbines. Those turbines powered 4 lasers, 2 ender quarries running lvl III speed upgrade, several massive ore processing systems, an equally massive AE system, and charged the largest draconic energy sphere up over 1 trillion rf/t.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Milobe115

Jul 29, 2019
For the early game, I generally use solid-fuel generators, run with coal. For storage, I tend to use EIO low-tier capacitor banks.

For the mid game, I like to go with lava generators, although for this "season", I went with a wall of enervation dynamos (thanks to the huge redstone input I have) and I use mid-tier capacitor banks for local storage, and redstone Energy cells for mobile energy storage.

For the end game, I usually go with reactors. For storage, I use high-tier cap banks and, if I need mobile storage, I link tesseracts to my capacitor bank wall.

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
Early Game:
Coal Power
Lava Power

Mid Game:
Nether Star
Small Big Reacter

Late Game:
Ultimate Solar Panel
Turbine

Ben_

Jul 29, 2019
I use:
Small Big Reactor
Storage: Leadstone/Hardened energy cell

Midgame and Endgame I just use a bigger big reactor.
And for storage, I haven't gone further than TE and mekanism.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Early Game: Daybloom Fields feeding into a mana flux field
Mid Game: Hydragnes feeding into a mana flux field
Late Game: Hydragnes feeding into a bunch of mana flux fields, in a sort of nuclear cooling tower for mana.

100% renewable and other ways exist as well even in my new favorite mod, but I know you want RF, so there is only so much I will suggest.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I've kind of been spoiled by BigReactors. I honestly go from a survivalist generator to a BigReactor. I've now made myself a test pack on the Curse launcher (it trash, albeit a promising peice of trash) it doesn't have BR on it this time. I am wondering how I will fare.
I want to tool around with Immersive Engineering's generators a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO sterling generator just long enough to make some wind turbines from Mekanism. Then later, something fancy like a big reactor. I know turbines are practically like cheating but they look cool and get the job done. Lately I use enderIO capacitors for storage because of the display. Draconic evolution power storage is cool and all but I think it should get bigger as it charges up. Theres no difference when its full so might as well build it for looks and leave it unpowered.. I just dont see the point of storing that much power anyway.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Early Game: Daybloom Fields feeding into a mana flux field
Mid Game: Hydragnes feeding into a mana flux field
Late Game: Hydragnes feeding into a bunch of mana flux fields, in a sort of nuclear cooling tower for mana.

100% renewable and other ways exist as well even in my new favorite mod, but I know you want RF, so there is only so much I will suggest.
That sounds cool, but what is a mana flux field?

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
Bingo. Hence the guide text for it; "The Bullet Guys. I bit it."
tumblr_nd91voSZ8Z1sjbr2bo1_400.gif

Done i win minecraft