best block for reactor chamber housing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
hey everyone, been out of the loop for a bit. just looking for a cheap yet strong block for my reactor housing.

oh also recommended version of the newest direwolf20 pack

Last edited:
Reactions: RealSketch

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
long long ago I used railcrafts crushed obsidian as IC2 reactor containment.

it has a really high blast resistance (2 layers are sufficient for a reactor) and it can be easily removed with a shovel, but it's hard to remove with a pickaxe. of course you need something else as roof (or at least one layer of something not burnable)

what's the blast resistance of gravel ores?

by the way, there is a bug (or crossmod-exploit) regarding the reactor: somebody at IC had that fancy idea that people should not use warded stone and other indestructible blocks as casing and they tweaked the system to melt indestructible blocks. this way, one could easily melt a hole into the nether-roof, or if someone has a base covered in warded stone... just melt a hole into that wall.

Reactions: RealSketch

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
long long ago I used railcrafts crushed obsidian as IC2 reactor containment.

it has a really high blast resistance (2 layers are sufficient for a reactor) and it can be easily removed with a shovel, but it's hard to remove with a pickaxe. of course you need something else as roof (or at least one layer of something not burnable)

what's the blast resistance of gravel ores?

by the way, there is a bug (or crossmod-exploit) regarding the reactor: somebody at IC had that fancy idea that people should not use warded stone and other indestructible blocks as casing and they tweaked the system to melt indestructible blocks. this way, one could easily melt a hole into the nether-roof, or if someone has a base covered in warded stone... just melt a hole into that wall.

wait so some idiot on the ic2 team added a bit of code that melts indestructible blocks? like bedrock that lines the bottom of the world.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
so with the recommended 1.6.4 direwolf pack what can i use thats cheap yet strong?

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
as I wrote, take a look at crushed obsidian.

twice the blast resistance of vanilla obsidian (obsidian has a little nerf to make reinforced stone/glass more valueable).

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
if you have plenty of space: standard cobblestone. you'll need at least 10 layers, make it 12-15 to be on the safe side, this way it is quite bulky... but it will contain the explosion.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
way to expensive to get to
What is the expensive part? Obsidian is very cheap if you pump a little lava and use igneous extruder. I usually find some lava lake in early game and fill 5 drums, which are also made from just iron and charcoal -> steel.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
What is the expensive part? Obsidian is very cheap if you pump a little lava and use igneous extruder. I usually find some lava lake in early game and fill 5 drums, which are also made from just iron and charcoal -> steel.

diamond of course. i ended up just rushing the ic2 tech and made a cf sprayer and got reinforced stone.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking of ThermalExpansion reinforced glass (Hardened glass). It should have same properties as most other blastproof blocks. (Thought arises about Thaumcraft wand focus of Warding...)