Best Apiary Setup

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
I need a basic setup using redstone engines and BuildCraft pipes, I have the meadows and wintery drones and princesses. Don't have gates yet, but planing to set one up soon, need it mostly for honey and Bees Wax. Also maybe a guide on Ambrosia, I need it. Thanks

Latest Direwolf20 Pack

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the double post, my Internet duped on me[DOUBLEPOST=1361353799][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry for the double post, my Internet duped on me

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Initially, I'd pipe out of the side, and take it either over the top, or under the bottom. Apiarist's pipe to cycle the breeding, and another after all the outputs join to fliter the bees from the outputs. This is what I did first, before moving the whole thing underground (yay! isolated genes!) and automating it fully.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
So what sides are the output and input, and how to craft aperitifts pipes
all sides output top/bottom are input apiarist pipe are diamond pipe with propolis on both sides for propolis get it from tropical bees or some bees later

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
all sides output top/bottom are input apiarist pipe are diamond pipe with propolis on both sides for propolis get it from tropical bees or some bees later

Thanks for that, will try in creative mode later, thaks

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
all sides output top/bottom are input...

That's not 100% Correct, at least for Buildcraft Gates. Gates on Sides can see Items and Bees in the "Output slots" of the Apiary but on Top and Bottom it only can the The Bees Slots. With the Setting "Queen/Princess Missing" All sides Works fine, but "Items in Inventory" only works on the Sides.

My Setup is pretty easy. Wooden Pipes in the back, Stone and Cobblestone down and Apiarist Pipes under the Apiary (Bees going up, Anything down). Iron Pipes under all Apiarist pipes that leads to an Chest. before the Chest is another Apiarist Pipe with leads to the Chest (all Bees) and to Tesseracts (Only Items) that goes to me Sorting system.

When you have many Different Bees, automatic sorting gets Funny...
The Receiving Tesseract send it all into a Relay and 3 Diffrent Sorting Machines. Every Comb goes into 1 Sorting Machine for the Centrifuge. Every Dust goes to my Main Base. And some Bee stuff goes into a Router connected to Barrels.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
To be correct, it has side-sensitive inventories.

Top for the princess/queen slot.
Bottom for drones slot.
Sides for the production slots.

But it have been coded to not care about sides when used with the BC pipes. You can exctract from anywhere, and only get the production slots, and piping in will only work for the queen and drones, and only if the slots are not already used. For drones, it will try to stack them if possible.

The side-specific can be used with gates, as said above, of with RP tubes.

As far as I know, there is no way to pump the frames.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Could you expand on this? I'm not using extra bees at the moment, just trying to grasp all the basics first.
I'm not aware of a tropical bee, do you mean the poisonous jungle bee?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I - as is usual - vouched for routers. Why? Cause 3 of them can take complete care of a battery of apiaries of any size. Seriously guys, they're way under-utilized, and very powerful. All ya gotta do is add another apiary and another princess into the system and everything works. There's the drone stacking problem of course, but hey, who cares when you've got 30 apiaries running, eh?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I - as is usual - vouched for routers. Why? Cause 3 of them can take complete care of a battery of apiaries of any size. Seriously guys, they're way under-utilized, and very powerful. All ya gotta do is add another apiary and another princess into the system and everything works. There's the drone stacking problem of course, but hey, who cares when you've got 30 apiaries running, eh?

Okay, 6 routers if you want automatic frames as well.
Wait, routers can automate frames?

Also, surely this will struggle if two queens die at the same time? Or at least, if they die quick enough that they get cross bred. The reason that I like my current setup is that each apiary is independant. If I want to alter a genome, I can turn off the gate, wait for it to die, then apply the changes to both drone and princess before starting it up again.

I can't be having cross-breeding and mutation in the setup, as they're all set up as nocturnal/flying/cave-dwelling rock pollinators for a reason.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, routers can automate frames?

Also, surely this will struggle if two queens die at the same time? Or at least, if they die quick enough that they get cross bred. The reason that I like my current setup is that each apiary is independant. If I want to alter a genome, I can turn off the gate, wait for it to die, then apply the changes to both drone and princess before starting it up again.

I can't be having cross-breeding and mutation in the setup, as they're all set up as nocturnal/flying/cave-dwelling rock pollinators for a reason.
Well I had batteries of purebreds in mind. I guess it could work that way as well... with the problem you described, but... Dunno, what for? You usually want a lot of bess workin' on the same resource, right?

And yeah, you can set the routers to make the stuff go into specific slots. Slots 2,3,4 are frame slots if I remember right.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough.

What I meant was that I have a line of apiaries containing various altered lines (optimised versions of different breeds, wintry, marshy, common, refined, etc.) for either drone production, or comb production.

If 2 were to die at the same time, would it not be possible that the princesses and drones get confused (if, for instance, the drone side is stacked up, and the router puts the refined princess into the wintry hive, as it's the closest/next in it's run).

I'll admit to not having played around a huge amount with routers, but from what I gathered, they basically have an "active" block that they are working with, and cycle it along the network. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, please tell me, as I probably need to take another look at it.

Also, do you know how they play with alvearies?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough.

What I meant was that I have a line of apiaries containing various altered lines (optimised versions of different breeds, wintry, marshy, common, refined, etc.) for either drone production, or comb production.

If 2 were to die at the same time, would it not be possible that the princesses and drones get confused (if, for instance, the drone side is stacked up, and the router puts the refined princess into the wintry hive, as it's the closest/next in it's run).

I'll admit to not having played around a huge amount with routers, but from what I gathered, they basically have an "active" block that they are working with, and cycle it along the network. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, please tell me, as I probably need to take another look at it.

Also, do you know how they play with alvearies?
Yup, they'd get mixed up.

I haven't tried with alvearies, but it's the same thing, really. I don't know if you can have them touching, but if you do, then you can automate as many alvearies, with just a few routers, as you can muster.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I tried that with Apiaries and routers, the frame slots do not have a designated slot number and thus do not insert frames.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, they'd get mixed up.

I haven't tried with alvearies, but it's the same thing, really. I don't know if you can have them touching, but if you do, then you can automate as many alvearies, with just a few routers, as you can muster.
Yeah, couldn't be doing with them getting mixed up. They cross-breed and they mutate. They mutate and lose the traits that actually make them work.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I tried that with Apiaries and routers, the frame slots do not have a designated slot number and thus do not insert frames.
Damnit, you're right, I always though that they just don't have a side... Damn memory playin' tricks on me, I distincly remember I had that workin' in FTB B. I could've sworn, cause I remember that I only found out about the frame slots - which I haven't noticed before - when I was playin' with routers and apiaries. Maybe it was changed to avoid automation?

Anyway, I've got a battery of wintery apiaries running right now with three routers, I'm getting so many drones that I need three genepools to keep up with the production.

Funnily enough, one bluelectric engine is enough to keep with the energy requirements.

Speaking of genepools though. Where do they accept bees? Cause it seems to just delete everything you put in with relays, pipes, or routers. Golems don't want to place anything in it...

EDIT: Hoppers work.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I've had success in the top. And, yeah, Id guess that sengir removed the frame slot. The frames are most definitely not supposed to be automated (it's kinda their point, and the difference between them and alvearies).

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Damn it would have been nice to have routers be able to insert frames.

Frames are _intentionally_ removed for game reasons. Use an alveary instead.[DOUBLEPOST=1361383933][/DOUBLEPOST]
Speaking of genepools though. Where do they accept bees? Cause it seems to just delete everything you put in with relays, pipes, or routers. Golems don't want to place anything in it...

EDIT: Hoppers work.

Extra Bees machines do not work with RP at all.