Beginner mod packs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

Bleachhh

I've been on Ftb Infinity for a while now but I just feel that things are way too hard. Is there any good mod packs that are for beginners who know like power sources and ore automation

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Direwolf would be my suggestion. It's actually a mid-level pack, which is actually where you're at when you're able to do power, and ore automation. But nothing is hyper complex, and everything is set to be relatively easy. Such as using the default recipes for MFR machines, or the higher power settings for Big Reactors. On the other hand, you could go completely out of the zone and go to Modular Mayhem, which has very few of the normal popular mods, but where all the same principles apply.

Space Astronomy is also good, since it can be done on it's own or you can follow the Hardcore Quest Mod book to be guided through some of the more obscure things. Plus you get rewards you don't need to craft for yourself later.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Some people recommend HQM (Hardcore Quest Mod) packs as beginner packs, as they allow for a guided entry into mods. Unfortunately, many of these packs either alter the recipes to near nonrecognition or punisb players with outside challenges (limited water, more aggressive hunger, etc.). If you are just looking for the "Minecraft Theory" to learn the basics, then I'd say give one a go.

If, on the other hand, you want a more organic experience, drop Infinity out of Expert mode and play with the original recipies. Don't forget the powerful learning tool that is Creative Mode as well. I have a dedicated Creative Mode instance for any pack I play, just to test out block placement, mod interactivity, and general theorycrafting. This saves a ton of headache from wasting precious materials in crafting a bunch of machines/components that either don't work as expected or are simply not needed for the project at hand.

If you're not sure how something works, Google it. Most mods have a wiki in some state, and lacking that, someone else has likely asked about it somewhere. These forums are a decent place to come with questions as well. I hesitate to recommend YouTube, as far to many videos are either incomplete or grossly out of date, but sometimes you can strike gold with a decent Mod Spotlight. I can't stress enough, however, the importance of personal exploration and tinkering. There is no substitute for personal experience.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The reason I recommend Space Astronomy, is that it hasn't changed any recipes, but still offers the guided experience of HQM.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this might be a little bit of a shameless self-plug, but:
My modpack Intro2Mods contains a whopping 25-ish mods: basically Buildcraft, Forestry, Thermal Expansion, Thaumcraft, and the Twilight Forest. There's also a couple addon mods. It's intended mainly for experienced players who want to play with less experienced players, but you could play it on your own as it's nicely simple and not overwhelming.
There's no HQM, but there's also no recipe changes. Hope you enjoy! :D