Bee Serums on Princesses, Drones or Queens?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cammino

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

i made my advanced bee machines and would like to put the industrious serum on a bee to get more of them. But i dont know if i should put it in drones princess or queens? Queens would be the best choice or ?

Thanks in advance

Phantom27

Jul 29, 2019
Using it on a queen would be equivalent to using it on a princess. Every queen carries both the traits of the princess and the drone it mated with, but the traits you see in the bee analyzer are those of the princess only. Changing those traits would NOT override the traits of the drone the princess mated with. To make it clear: if for example you bred a princess with a drone, neither of which were nocturnal, then used a nocturnal serum on the queen, this would be the same as if you had bred a nocturnal princess with a NON-nocturnal drone. Therefore your chances of getting more nocturnal bees out of that queen would be only 50%.

In order to ensure that you will 100% get what you want, you need to inject the serum on both a princess and a drone, then breed the two together.

You do know that serums are re-usable, right? Using it on a bee does not destroy it, you can use it on as many as you want, as long as you have liquid DNA so you can refill it.

But to answer your question in case it absolutely has to be only one bee: If you already have some industrious drones, then I'd say the best option would be a princess. You can breed it with said industrious drones, and so get even more of them.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
Using it on a queen would be equivalent to using it on a princess.

The way this is put is very misleading. It is true though, I must be really tired. Highly recommend making excellent quality serum before injecting to avoid risk of hive bees showing up in the lineage.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that using a serum on a queen has no effect on offspring. There might be a few situations where you want this (say you're trying to isolate the 1x fertility trait from rocky bees, and want to produce more drones without losing the trait), but in most cases you want to inoculate both the princess and the drone before mating them.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that using a serum on a queen has no effect on offspring. There might be a few situations where you want this (say you're trying to isolate the 1x fertility trait from rocky bees, and want to produce more drones without losing the trait), but in most cases you want to inoculate both the princess and the drone before mating them.
what is the point of having hidden weak fertility?

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
It's certainly not a common case, but I can imagine a situation where I want to run bees for production without dealing with excess drones. Once you have all of your other traits established, you could use 1x fertility serum and potentially save on an apiarist's pipe and a void pipe. That said, if you're at the point in the game where you're doing that sort of thing, you've probably found enough rocky drones in the wild to be able to spend them on getting the 1x fertility serum anyway.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I do minimise the fertility on all my bees before putting them into the resource production alvearies. Indeed, I was able to get the serum by simply throwing in drones I'd scooped up between the time I'd started beekeeping and when I'd reached the advanced machines. Still, inoculating max fertility onto a queen seems like a clever way to go if you happen to not've found that many by then.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
I can attest that this is false: I got a tropical queen from a village, not having found any tropical bees previously. I used effect cancelation and maximum fertility serums on it and put it in an apiary, and both engineered traits passed on to the offspring.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried similar and found the inoculated traits didn't make it through 100%. Most likely it's treated as though you inoculated the princess but not the drone.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried similar and found the inoculated traits didn't make it through 100%. Most likely it's treated as though you inoculated the princess but not the drone.
Yes, that's exactly how it seems to be treated; but the claim I was disputing was "no effect on offspring".

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, sounds right. I hadn't tested it myself; probably got my information mixed up somewhere along the way. Thanks for setting me straight!