Bee Mutations

Scryptt

Jul 29, 2019
I've been looking around at guides and watching some videos but cant find a straight answer. If i'm trying to move up or start a new branch, is it better to breed two pures or a pure and a hybrid, any help would be greatly appreciated.

AnDroid

Jul 29, 2019
Update your Extra Bees and take Apiarist Database, Flora-in-a-box edition, it will show you all bees, how get it and much more :)

Sent using Tapatalk 2

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Generally best to use two pures, unless you're using two low-tier hybrids that are of the a similar type such as a Forest-Meadows with either a Meadows-Forest or Forest-Meadows.

The problem with using hybrids anywhere above commonly available bees is that they can contaminate results. For example, breeding two Forest-Commons together can result in a pure Forest, a pure Common, or move up a tier into Cultivated, not to mention any combination of aforementioned results.

EDIT: And due to the above reason about contaminating results, I confused Cultivated bees with Diligents thanks to countless attempts trying to get said Cultivated breeds by breeding Cultivated-Common with Common-X.
Hooray!

Reactions: KoreRekon

DaNerd27

Jul 29, 2019
Probably would want to learn some Mendelian Genetics as well to help you with your chance calculations.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Generally best to use two pures, unless you're using two low-tier hybrids that are of the a similar type such as a Forest-Meadows with either a Meadows-Forest or Forest-Meadows.

The problem with using hybrids anywhere above commonly available bees is that they can contaminate results. For example, breeding two Forest-Commons together can result in a pure Forest, a pure Common, or move up a tier into Cultivated, not to mention any combination of aforementioned results.

EDIT: And due to the above reason about contaminating results, I confused Cultivated bees with Diligents thanks to countless attempts trying to get said Cultivated breeds by breeding Cultivated-Common with Common-X.
Hooray!

To get a mutation, you in essence have to make a Hybrid (of the mutation) and THEN roll the mutation chance from my understanding. So pure/pure gives you the highest chance to get your combo since it will always have (2) sources of the mutation you want.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
If you're just hunting for new species without any spoilers, actually the best chance would be to breed an A-B bee with a C-D bee. No matter which genes cross, you will always get a hybrid bee as a result and therefore a chance for a mutation. If you know what you're looking for and you know how to get it, just mix A-A with a B-B. You'll also guarantee a mutation, but only a specific one.

Reactions: Larroke