Bee Breeding Thread.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Travdaddy11

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have an issue with an enviornment all of the sudden becoming Hostile??
I analyze the bees... They say Normal/Normal
The Apiaries say Normal/Normal
But the bees wont breed.
Moved my Apiaries and they worked for a few days then became hostile again.
Any Fixes???

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Best I can make out it's got something to do with the extra biome mods. The game loses track of what the climate is if the apiaries are left alone too long or the server restarts or some such.

I hear tell re-installing your mod pack might sort it, and moving to a chunk that hadn't been generated until after your problem started may also resolve it. I'd recommend doing all bee-keeping in vanilla biomes if you're not already.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
Now this may sound like a stupid question but isn't the Fast Productivity better than Normal Productivity or is it the other way around?

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Thread Necromancy~

But anyways, I do believe that's the case. Fast productivity should increase the rate at which bees produce combs, while for breeding you generally want short lifespans so you go through generations quicker. This essentially means you want a fast worker that dies quickly.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Now this may sound like a stupid question but isn't the Fast Productivity better than Normal Productivity or is it the other way around?

Productivity increases the chance of getting a product per bee tick by a certain percent.
Fast increases it by 120%, I think.

_momomo

Jul 29, 2019
That's basically the same thing.
Increasing by 120% is the same as saying *1.2.
Increasing something to 120% is also the same as saying *1.2.
Whoops!
Now I understand.
I should have said that Fast increases normal speed by 120%.
Thanks!

thats not true, if something increases BY 120% it ends up at 220%. 1 increased by 1 is 2, natural numbers.
So the "fastest"-trait will increase the productivy by 70%, in comparison to normal, to 170% which is the maximum, but most bees start out slower than normal.
Well ontopic: If youre just breeding get the shortest life span and preferably the 4x drones trait, if you want to produce combs, get the longest lifespan and the fastest worker. It takes a while to replace a dead queen, so you have a down time in production. The longer the lifespan the lower the down time.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, by is a short for multiply. 8 by 5 is 40.
If something increases by 30, that's plus.
But when you are talking about percents, it means multiply.
If you say 5 by 120%, you get 6.
Same as 5 by 1.2.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Ever heard something like "The price has risen by 10%"? That means its value is now old value + 10%*old value = 110%*old value.
So fast bees compared to normal bees have their speed increased by 20% to 120%.

Even more interesting: slow bees (80%) + fast bees (120%)
* increased by 50% (80%*(1+0.5) = 120%)
* increased by 40% points (80% + 40% = 120%) (btw: can you write % points or do you need to write it out as percentage points?)
* increased to 120%

All three have the same result in this context.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Since someone decided to bring a bee thread back from death, I might as well ask in it.
Are chocolate frames broken in the most recent 1.5 release for anyone else? They seem to boost production rate just well, but they don't seem to be killing the bees any faster at all.