Be careful with where you put your Harvesters... (MFR)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pixxlationn

Jul 29, 2019
So... Yeah. It was probably a bad idea to place a harvester inside a base made of oak logs.
FMAJ2MR.jpg
qkyeggO.jpg
All the stairs with the holes in them had oak pillars... rip

Anyways, there isn't a way to disable a harvester from breaking logs, is there?
... Or I could've just used a farming station. o.o

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm seeing a very unusually sized farm plot here. Typically, you'll have a 3 x 3 or 5 x 5, you have a 3 x 5, which is where your problem is. If you put the tin upgrade into the harvester, it increases to a 5 x 5, which unfortunately included every log associated with the 'tree' behind your plot. Either drop the plot down to a 3 x 3 and not have any upgrades in it or extend your plot to 5 x 5 and you won't have this issue.

Pixxlationn

Jul 29, 2019
I fixed it a while ago. Tin is 7x7, and lapis is 5x5. I was using tin, so I downgraded to lapis so my harvester can just harvest my 5x5 farm.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure, but I think MFR harvester also finishes a tree once he detected it inside his range.
By definition of MFR a tree= all wood that conects to the first piece of wood that was found in the range.

That means even if you only have 1 peace of OakWood inside the harvester range, all the others that are conected to it through your base design, will be harvested too.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I didnt do what you did exactly but had a similar situation yesterday. Ive always done lava power early on but wanted to something different so i decided to build a tree farm to power my base.I live next to a dark oak biome and set my tree farm next to it. I knew my trees couldnt touch anything else or the harvester would wreck havok. I set up a charcoal production, a chunk loader and signed off for a little bit.Well i didnt take into account the large oak trees that grow every once in a while and my harvester took out a huge section of the dark oak biome,now i just have stumps there lol.

Pixxlationn

Jul 29, 2019
Making a Roguelike Dungeon home?
Now that you mention it, it does look like a rogue-like dungeon, but I wasn't even thinking about that, lol.
Not sure, but I think MFR harvester also finishes a tree once he detected it inside his range.
By definition of MFR a tree= all wood that conects to the first piece of wood that was found in the range.

That means even if you only have 1 peace of OakWood inside the harvester range, all the others that are conected to it through your base design, will be harvested too.

Yeah, my base is connected by oak log pillars and om the ceiling for support, and destroyed half my base before I wrenched the harvester.

Reactions: RedBoss

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
MFR Harvester in a jungle used to be my early game solution for gathering wood. You could set it up without upgrades, and it could clearcut almost the entire biome without being moved (as long as it didn't get turned off or run out of fuel).

I never made the mistake, but I did watch a friend accidentally harvest his entire three story house once. Let's just say I learned from his epic rage quit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ahem. The harvester checks for trees/plants in the are in front of it indicated by the Precision Sledgehammer. Due to the sheer size of certain Minecraft trees, such as Oaks and Jungles however, it looks for all wood within a very much larger range once it detects something harvestable in front of it. I believe it was an 11x11x11 cube was the last quote I heard. Suffice to say, it's not very smart.

ManIkWeet on Youtube had a Redwood base, and set up a tree farm. The Harvester ate a huge chunk of his tree. Which is why I keep harvesters well away from any logs.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
This is also why I rarely use logs as building materials for my bases when I have Harvesters anywhere nearby.

That and I´m always scared of a lightning setting my base on fire :)
or is this fixed now? I think that happend to me once in 1.4 Ultimade. Never risked it again since then.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
that and I´m always scared of a lightning setting my base on fire :)
or is this fixed now? I think that happend to me once in 1.4 Ultimade. Never risked it again since then.
Lighting setting wood on fire isn't a bug, but the chances of it doing lots of damage is very small, because rain puts fire out

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I must be the only person who that didn't happen to. My sister built a house out of wood in Ultimate and it got hit by lightning. So she says anyway. I never had an issue. Then again, I think it was a case of user error with a GT machine. Wonder if those attract lightning or something?

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I must be the only person who that didn't happen to. My sister built a house out of wood in Ultimate and it got hit by lightning. So she says anyway. I never had an issue. Then again, I think it was a case of user error with a GT machine. Wonder if those attract lightning or something?

No idea if they attract them, but since rain makes them explote anyway... Dont ask how many times I blew up my base back in Ultimate to this.