BC Quarry isn't auto-chunkloading

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I have built a quarry and I also have an ender chest hooked up to extract items into chests. The problem is, when I leave the mining dimension (where I'm quarrying) it just stops. The ender chest stops receiving items. Any help will be appreciated

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I have built a quarry and I also have an ender chest hooked up to extract items into chests. The problem is, when I leave the mining dimension (where I'm quarrying) it just stops. The ender chest stops receiving items. Any help will be appreciated

Check the configs. Near the bottom there is a config for whether the quarry chunk loads itself or not. In the Infinity pack, it is set to true so it should chunk load itself. Make sure your ender chest is in the same chunk as the quarry as well.

BC quarries have never been auto-chunk loading. Either make a chunk loader or switch to an ender quarry.

Actually, BC quarries have been able to chunk load themselves for quite a while. Just many packs and servers disabled it to keep people from using them as cheap chunk loaders.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
The enderchest is in the same chunk and in the config the option to auto chunkload is enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHerZ

Jul 29, 2019

So maybe you could go into the buildcraft configs and check if its for some reason turned off. Have you tried replacing it. If you are not using the landmarks maybe that will work. I always use landmarks so I really don't know if the quarry might be to small without landmarks to keep it chunkloaded. These are the options that are pretty easy and not a pain in the butt.

Or you could try reinstall ftb infinity. Make sure you do a backup of your world if you would choose this one.

edit: Just made a ftb infinity wiki so please check it out here: http://feedthebeast-infinity.wikia.com/wiki/Feed_The_Beast_Infinity_Wiki

At the moment I have only done one page about AromaBackups :,)

Arakasiii

Jul 29, 2019
Been having same issue on dw pack. 1.1.0 changelogs for bc mentions a fix for quarry chunkloading. I've just been dropping a chunkloader with it for now

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Been having same issue on dw pack. 1.1.0 changelogs for bc mentions a fix for quarry chunkloading. I've just been dropping a chunkloader with it for now
It's werid because even if I put a chunk loader right next to it, it still doesn't work.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

about bloody time. Was always a dangerous feature.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean?

The mods that were MJ based were always somewhat prone to exploding should things go wrong. So, chaos would start like this:
A player would log off / leave the area of their base.
Implicit chunkloading (and some residual power) would keep a quarry alive. Which would pump items into pipes, which would travel through BC pipes in the laoded chunk until they hit a boundary...
Buildcraft pipes could explode if overloaded, so this would then force load the next chunk - allowing items in pipes in that chunk to keep on flowing into neighbouring chunks, force loading them.
So a quarry being chunk loaded then implicitly forces the chunkloading of a bunch of other chunks.

If any of these chunks happens to contain your power generation, then the madness never stops as the quarry is being fed fresh enenergy to keep on going.

So, your immediate problem is water. It is very easy to put a pump - or liquid pipes carrying water - in non chunkloaded chunks. And liquid pipes - unlike item pipes - don't chunkload. This means if your power source is combusion engines or railcraft boilers, its very easy for the patchwork chunkloading taking place to starve them of water.

If you are cheesy and just build an infinite water source in the same chunk as your engines/boiler then at least things won't blow the @#$% up.

The perdition mechanic that buildcraft had however added even more evil: all the devices in chunkloaded chunks would consume energy, the power plant would consequently never shut down, and liquid fuel reserves (BC oil based fuel is non renewable) would be exhausted doing nothing while players on servers were offline. I presume the modern quarry works on RF with RF mechanics - no energy consumption when its not running so now your only real problem is the potential to overload your sorting / storage system while you are offline and unable to deal with it.

If your fuel source was renewable, but required energy, you still run the risk of running out of fuel if the implicit chunkloading doesn't cover the farms, so starting everything up if you log on and have zero stored energy and fuel could prove problematic.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why you say the problem is water. I am powering my quarry with a small "big reactor" and lava from the nether, and the water that was inside the quarry was pumped out from an ender thermic pump. You are probably making sense, but I'm not understanding :p

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
The problem is, when I leave the mining dimension (where I'm quarrying) it just stops. The ender chest stops receiving items. Any help will be appreciated
Try upgrading to BuildCraft 6.3.7 or later, it has the following fix:
  • [#2417] Quarry not chunkloading properly (hea3ven)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why you say the problem is water. I am powering my quarry with a small "big reactor" and lava from the nether, and the water that was inside the quarry was pumped out from an ender thermic pump. You are probably making sense, but I'm not understanding :p

Build craft and rail craft use the water for cooling. If it runs out, well, the engines/boilers would overheat and explode. Violently.

With a big reactor you are not worried about that. But on an always on server you will have to design a cutoff to prevent your fuel being exhausted while you're offline.