Base build from a lag standpoint?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have a 3 level base(first floor and 2 basements) and I'm really laggy there, I've had complaints about lag in my base also. I THINK the culprit would be the 8 boilers in the basement, (7 are loaded with 16 industrial engines each, the other has a pair of steam turbines)

Would it be better to move the power plant away from my main base to space everything out? How far should it be?

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have a 3 level base(first floor and 2 basements) and I'm really laggy there, I've had complaints about lag in my base also. I THINK the culprit would be the 8 boilers in the basement, (7 are loaded with 16 industrial engines each, the other has a pair of steam turbines)

Would it be better to move the power plant away from my main base to space everything out? How far should it be?

what pack are you using and how many things in your base have some sort of redstone contraption?

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Ftb unleashed. We have SOME pipe wire but no pure Redstone anything. And, most of the piper wire is all short.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Lazaruz is correct. Banks of engines are notorious for causing large amounts of fps lag though they will not strain a server.

If you can I would suggest using power converters and if you can tesseract the power from the engines from a remote location to your main base.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that, but they power everything in my base, thus I want to move them away, just need to know how far.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Hum teaser acts don't move enough power... And unleashed does not have power converters. :( the server should be ok with the 10 chunk pipeline. might run it under my bee/tree/butterfly breeding farm It's that long.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Unleashed has power converters however it is by default disabled. If you operate the server or can have someone change it you can just have them change powerconverts.jar.disabled to powerconverters.jar and it will re-enable it

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Hum teaser acts don't move enough power... And unleashed does not have power converters. :( the server should be ok with the 10 chunk pipeline. might run it under my bee/tree/butterfly breeding farm It's that long.

You can actually do this with a single chunkloader. It has a setting called "Line X" just set it in the middle of the pipeline and give it ~20 chunks.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Unleashed has power converters however it is by default disabled. If you operate the server or can have someone change it you can just have them change powerconverts.jar.disabled to powerconverters.jar and it will re-enable it
Yea, but I'ed have to teach others how to do the same.

You can actually do this with a single chunkloader. It has a setting called "Line X" just set it in the middle of the pipeline and give it ~20 chunks.

I have not tested this, but that's the plan.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Tesseracts have a 100 mj limit, but I got around it. I just use alot of them all on different frequencies. Currently have 4 running in my SSP power room but I have I think about 24 tesseracts in total to use with room for more. As I add stuff I just add a new channel to the network. Got 2 squid powering it all with 5 max size HP boilers making steam. Steam to mj via power convertors and mj stored in 21 Redstone energy cells. Never need to worry about power, lol.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Its fine to use all the tesseracts on the same frequency too.

Im not sure if setting them to send only/receive only helps anything, i do it just in case.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
We have power converters enabled on our server, but boilers (including the complete setup for automation) still seem to cause some FPS issues from what I've seen, once you get several of them.

You can use liquid tesseracts with steam consumers and BC / EU producers to transport power over any distance without energy loss. You need two liquid tesseracts on each full size HP boiler.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Lazaruz is correct. Banks of engines are notorious for causing large amounts of fps lag though they will not strain a server.

If you can I would suggest using power converters and if you can tesseract the power from the engines from a remote location to your main base.

Is it the engine, or is it the sound that's causing the lag?

Cause I have heaps of magmatic engines set up right now (about 48) and I get no lag whatsoever. At least nothing moreso than usual.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Is it the engine, or is it the sound that's causing the lag?

Cause I have heaps of magmatic engines set up right now (about 48) and I get no lag whatsoever. At least nothing moreso than usual.

You might find it's the sounds causing the lag. Minecraft is terrible at multi-sounds. My computer can stutter at time just from mob sounds, rain, lightning strikes, lava. Turning off sound fixes it, but you do need those audio clues - especially ssssss-BOOM.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I got a few more questions to the OP as I am not convinced its the engines causing the lag. I had a similair situation where my base was cuasing massive FPS drops to annyone nearby. One of the biggest FPS drops was MFR harvesters using the vanilla destruction method (AKA: sounds on). The second, 100 times worse offender, was an MFR autospawner spawning blueslimes 24/7. Now the mobs isnt the problem its the invissible slimes that it occasionally spawns. You cannot kill them so eventually they stack up realy high and cause lag. Infact, after removing my entire base ( 8 boilers, 72 steam engines, 16 bio reactors, 2 MFR laser drills, 100+ BC lasers, 8 MFR harvesters, etc) the lag was still there.

So my questions are:
1. Are you using MFR harvesters? If so, disabling the sounds (wich is realy an alternative block destruction method wich removes the particals on block destruction wich is what is causing the lag) will "fix" it (not entirely, but it helps alot).
2. Are you using a MFR spawner and getting invisible mobs?