Base Biome Preference

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Hey let's get an opinion thread going. What biome do you guys always look for when making a base and why?

I generally look for a large rock wall in an Extreme Hills biome. Why? Because ores, and because digging my house in rather than building it means less need to decorate and less materials required overall. Also it comes with a built-in roof! I always leave rooves for last in my builds, I live exposed for like two weeks before deciding I need a roof...

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a fan of mountains and forests. Mountains are nice because I can make a huge tower to overlook the world. Forests* are nice because they are just pretty.

*Not the forest biome, but equivalents like Witch Forest, Sacred Springs, etc.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
MF2, plains/forrest. First place to have a 3x3 chunknon rediculous terrain.

DW20 Anywhere with a 3x3 chunk non rediculous terrain.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Colorful (autumn?) forests (Not dye trees). I like the reds and oranges and yellows, very pretty place to live!

/edit -- oh, and I -love- the Canyon biome! You can dig into the side of a canyon and have windows looking out over the rugged landscape.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Nice flat plains biomes but I am rather picky about the neighbouring biomes. They must be Jungle, Desert and Taiga. The reason for such requirements can be summed up in one word... BEES!!!

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Close to a desert (or in it) for tons of sand!
Magical forest are smexy

But for now, void with jungle biome (for dat grass) is one of my fav

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I almost always look for one of the many mountainous biomes, mainly because I'm awful at building and it's much easier for me to live in a cave than build a house.

Reactions: RealSketch

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I normally look for an extreme hills biome, but anything nice and mountainous will do if the other requirements are met...

other requirements:

close to a desert, flat land, and water...having a good majority of biomes makes many things easier in Modded MC.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
My favourite biomes are Sacred Springs and the Flying Mountains from Highlands, but it's difficult to build there without ruining everything. So I usually look for a field, a prairie or a shield in BoP. I like to have a mesa, the jade cliffs or a canyon in the background, and possibly a nice boreal forest.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I like starting in a plains biome next to a taiga and a forest. Plains for space, taiga and forest for wood.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
a decent flat area in combination with plains or forest biome with some rivers or sea close by

NinjaEnergy

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to look up to a sakura forest, or bambu forest since most of my buildings are japanese-themed, and a huge castle raising form the top of the bambu tops looks quite impressive
If not, any forest would suffice

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
my bases are always underground, so the biome doesn't really matter. extreme hills are nice because of emeralds, and in my current world, I have a base in tundra (dirty-brown and dead) next to a highlands biome (equally to extreme hills, with emeralds).

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I tend to change it up, but I'll admit to being partial to Sacred Springs and Tropics because I love the color of the sky. In fact, my last non-AS world, I edited configs so only Sacred Springs would spawn, explored a big area, then re-enabled the other biomes. I lived in a bamboo fishing shack in the middle of a lake with a secret entrance to my massive farm/factory area under the water.

I tend to prefer areas that I don't have to massively change the landscape to live in. I really like Witchwood Forests, for example, but I've never lived in one because I can't stand to clear all the trees so I can have somewhere to build.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I like to settle in a large flat area that has nice scenery, usually near the ocean and a big mountain. I play on Highlands worlds with a few biomes disabled, the ugly ones like bog and wasteland, so its not too hard to find the sorts of places I like. it almost always turns out to be a meadow.