Barrels and Pneumatic Tubes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scott Bradley

Jul 29, 2019
I've been having a problem with pneumatic tubes not considering barrels a storage device after an item is put into it. For example my sorting system doesn't work because the sorting machine does not find a valid inventory for the cobble thus making it not work. I've tried having the cobble go to a chest which is connected to a relay hoping the relay would ignore the fact that it doesn't have a "valid inventory" even though it does (the barrel) but the relay also apparently needs a valid inventory to output. Also, I've tried having a deployer connected to the barrel which should hypothetically work since items are placed into a barrel by righting clicking on it and that is what the deployer does, but it doesn't work. I've ran out of ideas and if anyone has some that might work I would greatly appreciate it.

Scott Bradley

Jul 29, 2019
No =\ Well it works now ty very much for your help. Can't believe I was trouble shooting for over an hour with the solution that simple.

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
On a similar note, the buildcraft pipes act weird with barrels too. They are somehow intelligent enough to identify the contents of each barrel on their own without any diamond pipes needed, but they only go in when they feel like it. After much experimentation, they will all go in the correct barrels about 95% of the time if the items in the pipe are travelling at tortoise speed, but if you have a gold pipe anywhere upstream to increase their speed the reliability drops off to about 40% and most just fly straight past their respective barrel and eventually eject themselves from the end of the pipeline when they find they've got nowhere else to go. Highly annoying as I really like using the barrels.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
That problem is due more to how basic BC pipes are implemented than the barrels themselves. The primary reason tubes are so much better than pipes is that tubes always send items to the closest valid destination. Pipes seem to make random decisions at the individual block between the available exits from that particular piece of pipe. In essence, just because an item CAN go down into that barrel doesn't mean it necessarily will. Try using tubes and you'll have more luck.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If additional buildcraft objects has been released for 1.4.6, you can add that to your setup for the insertion/advanced insertion pipe. They are awesome with barrels. :)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes to a Relay to Tubes should work with minimal setup to transfer to intelligent barrel storage, right?

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
the buildcraft pipes act weird with barrels too.

I'm currently using them with logistic pipes (item sink + provider module) and with the insertion pipes from addiditonal buildcraft pipes and got no problems so far... I haven't tried golden pipes though...

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Should work fine, with the added advantage of having an overflow chest for items that didn't get a barrel.

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
That problem is due more to how basic BC pipes are implemented than the barrels themselves. The primary reason tubes are so much better than pipes is that tubes always send items to the closest valid destination. Pipes seem to make random decisions at the individual block between the available exits from that particular piece of pipe. In essence, just because an item CAN go down into that barrel doesn't mean it necessarily will. Try using tubes and you'll have more luck.

I know what you mean but this isn't the 'usual' random BC pipe behaviour - they ARE intelligent and will go in the *correct* barrels 100% of the time (ie. after extensive testing none went into a barrel containing a different item), but the speed they travel seems to greatly affect the reliability of whether they'll go in the barrel at all.

Also I could be wrong but I don't believe the advanced insertion pipes etc are in the Beta A v12 pack? Not coming up in NEI anyway. Out of choice we'd be playing with RP but as the pre6 is only for 1.4.6 and we are stuck on 1.4.2 in the beta then no cigar there. As someone is bound to point out the DW and MC packs, we are happy with the content of the beta pack, just missing RP, but don't want the hassle of adding/removing the mods from DW or MC that we do/do not want.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
When I built a barrel system for my group in a pre-release FTB server I was running, I ended up having to use diamond pipes for each barrel for exactly this issue. Kinda sucked, but we had the mats by that point. The other option is to use routers, which has the advantage of being easily expandable. All you need to do is add more barrels and make sure they touch. No more pipes needed!

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I know what you mean but this isn't the 'usual' random BC pipe behaviour - they ARE intelligent and will go in the *correct* barrels 100% of the time
Isn't that only because the not-correct barrels aren't considered valid inventories? Sounds normal to me.

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't that only because the not-correct barrels aren't considered valid inventories? Sounds normal to me.

Well yes, I presume so, hence me saying that they are "intelligent" to some degree at least. But BC often does all kinds of weird stuff that you don't expect so tbh I wouldn't have been surprised to see it trying to put cobble into a dirt filled barrel and then promptly spitting it out of the tube and leaving the cobble sat on top of the barrel. It doesn't, so it must be able to identify whether barrels are valid invs. I think the issue is probably more to do with the way the normal BC stone pipes act as a 50/50 when they come to a junction. They see the cobble barrel as a valid destination for the cobble coming along the pipe, but the pipe continuation to the other barrels is also seen as a valid destination and so sometimes it carries on and eventually spits out when there's nowhere else for it to go. I guess if you made a pipe loop back to the start of the barrel network and stuck a gold pipe inline you could force it to keep trying until it went in. I might give that a whirl and see how it goes. :)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Correct, more or less. A stone BC pipe will never send an item to an invalid inventory. That does not mean it will always send it to a valid inventory. However, even if there is a valid inventory at a junction, the stone pipe still decides randomly whether to put the item in the inventory or pass it further.

What is and is not valid can depend on the item being moved. A full chest, a machine currently processing another item, or a barrel containing a different type of items are all invalid. You can't pack two different items into a barrel in any way, pipes or otherwise. That's like having two items in the input slot of a regular furnace at the same time.

ATJ

Jul 29, 2019
Correct, more or less. A stone BC pipe will never send an item to an invalid inventory. That does not mean it will always send it to a valid inventory. However, even if there is a valid inventory at a junction, the stone pipe still decides randomly whether to put the item in the inventory or pass it further.

What is and is not valid can depend on the item being moved. A full chest, a machine currently processing another item, or a barrel containing a different type of items are all invalid. You can't pack two different items into a barrel in any way, pipes or otherwise. That's like having two items in the input slot of a regular furnace at the same time.

Yes, agreed. It really is the single most thing that usually steers me away from using BC pipes as they have a mind of their own. Eloraam managed okay to do intelligent pipes so there's really no excuse why BC doesn't have something similar in the core mod by now. Using RP pipes is luxury in comparison, but then you have the problems with the lag from the timers and the "invisible" items clogging up in the filters, so both mods are far from perfect.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Using RP pipes is luxury in comparison, but then you have the problems with the lag from the timers and the "invisible" items clogging up in the filters, so both mods are far from perfect.

Neither of these occur in well designed systems.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Solve timer lag (It's due to lgihting updates) by making sure that the square they are in, is always 7 or brighter. Honestly I just place a light source under every single one, jack o lanterns for preference.

Another solution would be to move things in stacks, and have a single slow timer trigger many devices. This would also reduce object lag in the tubes.

---------------------------------------------------------
A reasonable facsimile of intelligence...