barrel sorting system.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I forgot about them only filling from top and bottom. I have them stacked 3 high and have the items in them
the way I wanted. Can they only be 2 high? If so I just wasted a couple hours.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
what about backside?

I am using a ender chest and a transposer. It stops working once my barrel gets it;s first stack. What should I use instead of a transposer?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Transpose into a router that is touching (on any side, in any place) your barrel structure. It can touch all adjacent inventories.

Be aware that things get weird if you do not pre-populate your barrels. The router is powerful, but not very "smart".

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
what about backside?

I am using a ender chest and a transposer. It stops working once my barrel gets it;s first stack. What should I use instead of a transposer?
you can only put items in from the top with tubes if you want to stack barrels use a router

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
k now haveing problem after it gets its first full stack it all starts going back to the sorter. why is this.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
k now haveing problem after it gets its first full stack it all starts going back to the sorter. why is this.
are you trying to pipe them into the bottom of the barrel? items MUST be pumped into the top bottom is for pulling out items

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
are you trying to pipe them into the bottom of the barrel? items MUST be pumped into the top bottom is for pulling out items
Well, as he discovered you can get up a stack in by inserting via the bottom, thus his confusion as to why it suddenly stopped working.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously. If you have more than 3 barrels in one place you need a router. The 9 diamond startup costs sucks, but believe me if you're not making the actual machines the igniters last a long time. You can roll with it.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Building a solid wall of barrels relies on a router as noted above. No other way to do it really due to the limitation on input. Using the mods currently in FTP the router is one of the few options. However realize that it can be flooded fairly easily by several quarries running at once so for large operations have the materials deposited into a chest, a router extracts from chest for a given back of barrels, ejects into the other router who then inserts. If you keep rows/barrel types in some conformity so a given router isn't handling a ton of variances this stacks stuff up nicely for it and lets it keep up. With some work with the pipes/chests and input handling you can set it up to handle N quarries where N is about 5/ender chest and one set of routers per row per ender chest. Minimal to no real lag noticed by me either. After enough inputs the BC pipes just become a solid stream of goods so it even stops really adding to the graphic lag from objects in motion. The downside to this design is getting stuff back out in scale. It's one thing to run around smacking chests, it's another to do it to pull out all the mats for 10 advanced hybrid solar panels. I gave up on creating an intuitive system to pull from a storage facility of the scale I do.

I had built one in RP2 tubes and like but tore it down. It dragged down my system unacceptably (32G ram, I7-3960) when I scaled it up to handle a max of 655,360 of each raw mining resources. After the 10th quarry came online it just didn't go well for it and never could overcome it very well within the design limitations (I keep everything in a 128x128 square maximum). Also took a great many machines to handle the input scale but that was workable which necessitated a lot of its special energy creation. When you have the room for it that's not a big deal in of itself but needed a lot running around. It finally became a CPU crisis as it checks its routes repeatedly as objects travel. Pulling stuff out was a bit of a pain to set up in my opinion. Also had to think very carefully about the piping to avoid loops and stuff going where it shouldn't due to the need to reuse colors.

What I've taken to doing is adding logistic pipes and putting a Chassis mk2 above each barrel. Then I just alternate barrel with pipe as high as I need (I use 4 rows so I can reach any barrel manually if needed). The pipes take care of inserting into the barrels below them and there is an extractor that'll pull out from the bottom no matter where it is connected. It used to exhibit the same CPU costs but the current version seems to be holding up so far. I haven't finished getting it fully operational though so it may have the same scale issues. So far though it's had far less cpu impact for the rows (40 barrels per side, 80 in a 2x10 row with 15 row sets with 2 wide aisles between them) than the tubes did in a similar configuration with the paint path restriction system. This lets me put everything into a large warehouse like room that is 10 high (my standard for a single floor). I'm hoping to go to field trials with this design in a week or two. I have high hopes of it handling at least 10 quarries per ender chest drop box from a single entry point into the system and would like to see it handle 40 quarries total at time without impacting my computer out of acceptable ranges.

Reactions: Zexks

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
k thx I figured it out. As long as you have the router on the bottom and have it set to insert from top it will go past the 64 mark thx.

Is there a way to only take 1 item out of a barrel instead of a whole stack

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
k thx I figured it out. As long as you have the router on the bottom and have it set to insert from top it will go past the 64 mark thx.

shift+left click

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
A retriever connected to a tube attached to the bottom of the barrel can pull single items.

Not sure if that will work with your configuration though.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
can the router be powered to sort more than 1 item at a time? I moved the router to top of my barrels and added a relay to it. also is there a way if all barrels has a item in it and a item enters that is not added to a barrel it adds it to a chest
There is an upgrade for it that'll let it do 1 stack at a time. Inside NEI if you search for router you'll see the upgrades next to it.

Routers don't really have a concept of overflow. They also fill from first closest in connected square count.

RCBBB would fill chest first then barrels, RBBBC would fill barrels first then chest. If it finds equal distance paths it alternates between them.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i have barrels around 3 sides of a room, so it is U shaped.

I put a chest at the end of the line foe stuff not in a barrel, but it is putting some, but not
all the barrel stuff into the chest.

Only thing I have feeding it atm testing is my tree farm. I would say 50/50 wood ends up in barrel and chest.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
It is best to get the upgrades that relate to the given function. If a router is only an insert router for instance no need for an ejector upgrade.