Barrel Sorting System - Overflow

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I'm currently making a barrel sorting system, and I need some sort of overflow system, cause the router get's jammed, when there is no barrel for a specific item, I have tried placing a chest at the end of my system, but some of the items that should go into barrels, get's into the chest.

I have attached a picture, so you can see my simple setup.

I use itemducts, and all the router upgrades.

Regards,

Kristian "sensityy"

Attachments

• 2015-01-07_21.48.06.png
    2015-01-07_21.48.06.png
    915.1 KB · Views: 167

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Use a wrench to make the pipe next to the chest dense. And not touching a barrel. Dense means it will act as if the chest was 1000 blocks away and cause items to go into the barrels first before they go to the overflow chest

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hello,

I'm currently making a barrel sorting system, and I need some sort of overflow system, cause the router get's jammed, when there is no barrel for a specific item, I have tried placing a chest at the end of my system, but some of the items that should go into barrels, get's into the chest.

I have attached a picture, so you can see my simple setup.

I use itemducts, and all the router upgrades.

Regards,

Kristian "sensityy"
The thoroughness upgrade have been "broken" for ages. At least when I have been trying to replicate the sorting system I used with Routers and barrels back in 1.4.7. It simply does not force the router to fill the first barrels first all the time and you end up with items that should have gone into a barrel in your overflow chest.

It might work better with just a single row of barrels(don't stack barrels on top of each other, it really don't like that at all any more), but last I tried that I was still getting problems with it.

Instead you could just use the cheap Itemducts and pass them behind the barrels in a snake pattern(separate the ducts with microblock covers so it is one continuous string) and end it in a chest. That works just as intended.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
JABBA barrels? You can install the void upgrade on it unless you want to keep the overflows.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
JABBA barrels? You can install the void upgrade on it unless you want to keep the overflows.
His problem is not that his cobble is overflowing its barrel, but that he wants cobble to go into its barrel and then unstackable items that cant fit into the barrels to go into the chest at the end. But the Thoroughness upgrade is broke and sometimes sends the cobble to the chest too.

Inventory detection [buildcraft gates ect] on the Router.

If something stays in there for more than 10 seconds, it activates a redstone engine and pulls the blockage out.
That could work. Removing the Chest from the barrel setup, priming ALL the barrels with items(No barrel can be left empty, they all have to be assigned items). A BC gate with "Has item" activating a Timer that upon reaching its set time(chosen to a time that is obviously long enough for the router to not having been able to place the item anywhere) activates an Itemduct sucking the item out of the router and into the overflow chest(or another sorting system).

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
His problem is not that his cobble is overflowing its barrel, but that he wants cobble to go into its barrel and then unstackable items that cant fit into the barrels to go into the chest at the end. But the Thoroughness upgrade is broke and sometimes sends the cobble to the chest too.

That could work. Removing the Chest from the barrel setup, priming ALL the barrels with items(No barrel can be left empty, they all have to be assigned items). A BC gate with "Has item" activating a Timer that upon reaching its set time(chosen to a time that is obviously long enough for the router to not having been able to place the item anywhere) activates an Itemduct sucking the item out of the router and into the overflow chest(or another sorting system).

Hello

First, thanks for replying all :)

Second.

I'm not quite sure how the Gates work, is there any good tutorial/explanation that you can give for BC Gates?

Thanks in advance.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hello

First, thanks for replying all :)

Second.

I'm not quite sure how the Gates work, is there any good tutorial/explanation that you can give for BC Gates?

Thanks in advance.
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Gates

Btw, this is mostly centred around them as used on BC pipes. They can however still be a huge asset even when not using BC pipes as the main item/fluid/power transfer means. I use them a lot as just redstone circuitry and place them on Cobblestone Structure Pipes. But any kind of cheap pipes will do for just holding them.

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
I now have this, http://imgur.com/NHPTC0K,jUji15a

but I can't seem to find an option that only allow the barrel materials to go through. Barrel Materials go to overflow chest ;/

Any hints?

EDIT: I've tried repeaters to make a delay, not working ;/

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I now have this, http://imgur.com/NHPTC0K,jUji15a

but I can't seem to find an option that only allow the barrel materials to go through. Barrel Materials go to overflow chest ;/

Any hints?

EDIT: I've tried repeaters to make a delay, not working ;/
It is probably somewhat more complex than that.

First of any Redstone signals near a Router will turn the Router off. So you need to use Iron grade Gates and Red Alloy Wire to send the Gate signal to another Iron Gate that can then emit the Redstone signal(to avoid it constantly blocking itself every time an item comes into the router).

You probably also want to add a Timer into the build to give the Router a chance to place the items before they get send off to the overflow chest.

Third: Itemducts are horrible to activate with redstone pulses(from the timer). So we will need to lengthen the pulse. A Repeater will work well.

(I will assume you have something like RP2 or Project Red that supplies the redstone circuitry)

I threw a little example together here:
3m4p30M.png

Gate on Router: Items in inventory-> Red Pipe Signal
Second gate: Red Pipe signal-> Redstone signal
(Now just realised that I could have skipped the Not Gate by setting the second Gate to "Red pipe signal Off->Redstone signal", DOH!)

Send the redstone signal to Timer, split the timer pulse up in two. One go direct, one gets delayed by Repeater(thereby lengthening the pulse).

And done. Pretty crude and you can no doubt refine it. But it works.

adamich

Jul 29, 2019

My sorry, but why not use "ender io" conduits?

As i remember TE pipes logics, it's should not contain a pipe crosses, or it will not work correct.
TE pipes use logic similar BC tubes. So U must make a snake-like line between barrels.

Or use ender io counduits :)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I should point out that the Thoroughness upgrade, contrary to what most players would like, only makes the router try to put items into the last inventory it put something into before trying the next inventory. Routers never have any preference for any particular inventory over any other- they always cycle through all inventories connected to them in the same order. All the thoroughness upgrade does is keep the router from trying to put every single item in a different inventory.

Also, I heard a while back that a router with the speed and stack upgrades (thoroughness is probably not strictly necessary, but will reduce lag) will get rid of any items that can go in inventories connected to it within a tick or two, so a diamond autarchic gate on a wooden pipe next to it with seven of the eight slots set to "Items in Inventory >> Energy Pulser" will suck out any items that get stuck, but isn't quite fast enough to pull them out before the router itself can put away what items it can.

Why a diamond gate? Because each active energy pulser condition in the gate (beyond the first) doubles the amount of MJ produced and sent into the pipe, which therefore doubles the number of items pulled out. If seven energy pulsers are active at once, this corresponds to 64 items.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I should point out that the Thoroughness upgrade, contrary to what most players would like, only makes the router try to put items into the last inventory it put something into before trying the next inventory. Routers never have any preference for any particular inventory over any other- they always cycle through all inventories connected to them in the same order. All the thoroughness upgrade does is keep the router from trying to put every single item in a different inventory.
If we are talking 1.5.2+ version this is exactly how they behave. But back in 1.4.7(at least until later Factorization 1.4.7 versions, I think that is when I first noticed the change) a Router with Thoroughness would fill the nearest inventories first and only start filling empty inventories further away once the others got full. I personally used to use it for sorting systems back then and was sad when it was no longer possible(but then we had gotten AE).

Most sources also lists the Thoroughness upgrades as being bugged, but it seems strange that they have been allowed to be so for so long. But can't really see why you would choose to let it remain this way. The upgrade is almost useless in this way(I cannot think of an application where you would want a router to randomly spread out items over many inventories but completely fill each one before moving to the next one...).

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If we are talking 1.5.2+ version this is exactly how they behave. But back in 1.4.7(at least until later Factorization 1.4.7 versions, I think that is when I first noticed the change) a Router with Thoroughness would fill the nearest inventories first and only start filling empty inventories further away once the others got full. I personally used to use it for sorting systems back then and was sad when it was no longer possible(but then we had gotten AE).

Most sources also lists the Thoroughness upgrades as being bugged, but it seems strange that they have been allowed to be so for so long. But can't really see why you would choose to let it remain this way. The upgrade is almost useless in this way(I cannot think of an application where you would want a router to randomly spread out items over many inventories but completely fill each one before moving to the next one...).
I don't ever recall routers working in any way other than what I described, so I figured that it was how they were supposed to work. I don't remember when I started messing with the mod, though.

I guess the main use for the Thoroughness upgrade would be for a barrel wall, if you don't want to seed each barrel individually. You'll still get some barrels with duplicate items, but not nearly as many as if you didn't use the upgrade. It probably also reduces the lag produced by a router feeding a barrel wall to some extent as well.

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
It is probably somewhat more complex than that.

First of any Redstone signals near a Router will turn the Router off. So you need to use Iron grade Gates and Red Alloy Wire to send the Gate signal to another Iron Gate that can then emit the Redstone signal(to avoid it constantly blocking itself every time an item comes into the router).

You probably also want to add a Timer into the build to give the Router a chance to place the items before they get send off to the overflow chest.

Third: Itemducts are horrible to activate with redstone pulses(from the timer). So we will need to lengthen the pulse. A Repeater will work well.

(I will assume you have something like RP2 or Project Red that supplies the redstone circuitry)

I threw a little example together here:
3m4p30M.png

Gate on Router: Items in inventory-> Red Pipe Signal
Second gate: Red Pipe signal-> Redstone signal
(Now just realised that I could have skipped the Not Gate by setting the second Gate to "Red pipe signal Off->Redstone signal", DOH!)

Send the redstone signal to Timer, split the timer pulse up in two. One go direct, one gets delayed by Repeater(thereby lengthening the pulse).

And done. Pretty crude and you can no doubt refine it. But it works.
This is probably the best I can have atm, thanks man :) It need some "time tweaking" but it works perfectly, thanks again! :)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Note that JABBA barrels can be upgraded with a 'void upgrade'. When a barrel has that upgrade it will delete all items that are excessive. I use that at the end of my quarry because I don't need thousands of stacks of cobble really :)

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Note that JABBA barrels can be upgraded with a 'void upgrade'. When a barrel has that upgrade it will delete all items that are excessive. I use that at the end of my quarry because I don't need thousands of stacks of cobble really :)
That's true, but what about the other stuff, that I don't have barrels for?

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently if you lock the Better Barrels, with the Barrel being empty, it wont put any items in it. That's what I use now :)