Balances

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
So I am wondering, does the FTB team actually do mod balances/patches? Namely, there are still a lot of overpowered or unseen dents in the tiers. For example (in Infinity);
- Enderium; easy to craft, and it is even STRONGER than Awakaned Draconium (Tinker's Construct weaponry)
- Signalum crossbows are ridicilliously overpowered
- Bound Armour (and variants) and Nano/Quantum armour still fully nullify damage, while Thaumic armour only does a percentage now. (I believe it got reduced from 100% to 80 - 85% damage absorbption in exchange for Vis?)
- Bound tools can be enchanted using an Osmosis enchanter, which turns the pickaxe ridicilliously powerfull while using Fortune III.
- Certain material tier-2 excavation tools (tinker's construct) still utilize a different durability system, I.E. Stone lasts for 250 BLOCKS, while Iron lasts for 100 USES.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Infinity is a "kitchen sink" pack, meaning that it's basically just a bunch of mods thrown together with as few config/recipe changes as possible; as such, it's not intended to be balanced very precisely. I recommend you try out Infinity Hard Mode when it comes out, if it hasn't already.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity is a "kitchen sink" pack, meaning that it's basically just a bunch of mods thrown together with as few config/recipe changes as possible; as such, it's not intended to be balanced very precisely. I recommend you try out Infinity Hard Mode when it comes out, if it hasn't already.
Hard Mode comes out Oct. 30th, IIRC

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
So I am wondering, does the FTB team actually do mod balances/patches? Namely, there are still a lot of overpowered or unseen dents in the tiers. For example (in Infinity);
- Enderium; easy to craft, and it is even STRONGER than Awakaned Draconium (Tinker's Construct weaponry)
- Signalum crossbows are ridicilliously overpowered
- Bound Armour (and variants) and Nano/Quantum armour still fully nullify damage, while Thaumic armour only does a percentage now. (I believe it got reduced from 100% to 80 - 85% damage absorbption in exchange for Vis?)
- Bound tools can be enchanted using an Osmosis enchanter, which turns the pickaxe ridicilliously powerfull while using Fortune III.
- Certain material tier-2 excavation tools (tinker's construct) still utilize a different durability system, I.E. Stone lasts for 250 BLOCKS, while Iron lasts for 100 USES.
Enderium: I wouldn't say it's easy (although definitely a lot easier than Awakened Draconium), although I agree that ExtraTiC makes enderium really strong for what it is.
Signalum: I have a signalum crossbow myself and it's ridiculous. I'm not against there being a material with such stats, but signalum is way too cheap for the stats it has. Again, ExtraTiC.
Armor: The individual mods balance armor on their own individual basis. Blood magic has powerful demons which most likely need bound armor (or equivalent) to avoid dying really quickly. IC2 is kind of an "OP" mod and doesn't add any enemies, but it takes tons of energy to make Quantum and Nano/Quantum are balanced out by the fact that they run out of energy quickly if you take significant damage. Draconic Evolution adds really OP wyvern/draconic armor but you kind of need those if you want to fight Chaos Guardians. The different armors are considered "balanced" when considered within the progression of that mod on its own, but when you mix them in a pack you're going to see the more OP mods' items displace the less OP ones like those from Thaumcraft or Botania (which are balanced against their own enemies which are powerful but not quite as ridiculous). For example, I rock Draconic Armor and almost nothing can touch me. Botania's bosses do nothing. Thaumcraft's guardians do nothing (the bosses can do a little). Haven't tried fighting anything from Twilight Forest yet. For stuff that does still damage me, I just stick Last Stand II on the armor and let my experience bar act as extra health. Quantum is similar but it runs out of energy too quickly for me to want to use in serious combat (and some things like Gelid damage through quantum). I haven't tried Bound yet, although I have the infrastructure to try it. Overall, with a kitchen sink modpack, you're going to see equipment which outclasses everything by miles.
Being able to put enchantments on OP tools: I'm guessing a lot of Minecraft players are so greedy that they won't use any tool, no matter how OP, if they can't put fortune on it :p. I'm not like that. I only use tools that I can put silk touch on ;)

Note that Hard Mode won't make the overpowered equipment less overpowered (from what I can tell). For the most part it will adjust the recipes to make the most overpowered stuff much harder to get, along with creating a lot of interdependencies to force players to progress through many of the different mods rather than just picking one or two mods and going to endgame with them.

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure interested in what infinity hardmode is going to bring.

While I do know that FTB infinity, much like ultimate prior 1.5, is an assembly pack, they do balance out stuff. Shiny for example used to be a tiny bit weaker than Enderium, but right now it has weakened very much.