Automating the creation of Liquid Glowstone when engine needs it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

NoPain9

Jul 29, 2019
I dont see why you cant just have a stack of glowstone in the melting apparatus of your choice at all times. How is this complicated?

It's not being complicated. I just tried to get a system that doesn't necessarily 'waste' resources. Like I have plenty of the stuff, I just try to be as efficient as possible, but for now I'm gonna do it the way of just melting it all for like ever and perhaps I'll try Methusalem way in a test world to see how that works, SFM sounds pretty cool so ^^.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well you are also wasting a lot of your time complicating things, time is more valuable than the infinite resources that you get.

It's a design challenge to do it that way. And, most importantly, it's not up to us to tell someone how to play.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I had this conundrum too, and would've liked opinionated feedback regarding these issues as well.

This is just my opinion, since in my case, I hated the end result of a less time efficient system. You are only one person, trying to tend to multiple systems. It'll tax your ability to keep up and eventually you will see why it isn't worth it, especially if you're like me, and you have hundreds of processes going.

More importantly, some people, especially those who magic mod, have very small scale processes and can deal with them more easily.

=)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
More importantly, some people, especially those who magic mod, have very small scale processes and can deal with them more easily.

90% of my base is comprised of RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, Ender IO, and Mekanism. I understand how to automate things, and similar to the OP, I'd prefer to do things to conserve resources. "Small scale processes" are the automation of slates. I don't do that. I do everything with magic mods manually, and automate the other 90% of my base.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Wow you sure complicate your life. If you want to produce just what you need, simply dont build any tank, or a very small tank. And just keep the dedicated magmacrucible full of glowstone. You will have 64 glowstone stuck there, but there you go everything is automated ! :D

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It's a design challenge to do it that way. And, most importantly, it's not up to us to tell someone how to play.
But OP is essentially asking us to tell him how to play... If he wanted a design challenge asking for help to eliminate that challenge seems counter productive.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
90% of my base is comprised of RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, Ender IO, and Mekanism. I understand how to automate things, and similar to the OP, I'd prefer to do things to conserve resources. "Small scale processes" are the automation of slates. I don't do that. I do everything with magic mods manually, and automate the other 90% of my base.

I actually find the most challenging bit is full automation of magic mods.

Well, until thaumcraft 4 that is.

Back in 1.5 I managed to jury rig a system that automated my TC3 crucible, I was so proud :D

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
You could try using LogisticsPipes+BC gates.
  • Connect fluid supplier to the engine set to a specific amount of mB (ideally 50%+ of engine capacity)
  • Add BC gate to detect fluid levels, set to <25% in tank, send pipe signal
  • Add fluid provider to magma crucible output, set to liquid glowstone
  • Add Supplier to magma crucible input set to specific amount of glowstone and FULL mode (I'm still trying to find documentation on the supply modes...)
  • Add BC gate onto supplier set to deactivate pipe on no pipe signal

This way, when the engine has <25%, a specific amount of glowstone should get sent to the magma crucible to refill it, and the provider can pull the liquid out. If something breaks, no pipe signal, so no glowstone consumed. Sure, it's more complex than just crucible output>engine, but hey, complexity can be fun too. :)

Reactions: Padfoote

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Been down this road before. I'm playing Monster pack, but it was the same in Direwolf pack... I have a Magma Crucible/Fluid Transposer pair for every fluid I need on demand. Without getting WAY too overly complicated, it seemed to me to be the easiest way to go. So right now looking at my TE3 production facility, I have the following Magma/Transposer combos: resonant ender, destabilized redstone, energized glowstone, gelid cryotheum, blazing pyrotheum, creosote oil, water and lava. Basically I have one entire room devoted to fluids/liquids and having a supply handy for any on-demand tasks. An AE basic export bus feeds raw materials one by one, eventually the machines fill up and then they just sit and wait for some demand.

In Direwolf when I was running 125 compression dynamos (that's exactly 10,000 RF/t so its optimum) with fuel and gelid cryotheum, I was making the gelid cryotheum right there in the engine room a few blocks away from the massive block of dynamos. All it took was one AE basic export bus to feed blizz powder into a magma crucible, and the output from that went directly into the piping network for the dynamos. They didn't take much, not even with 125 of them. One magma crucible kept up no problem at all. If it doesn't quite keep up for your glowstone, then just put two magma crucibles and two basic export busses there. Pretty easy and simple. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be!

Reactions: Darklord__

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
In Direwolf when I was running 125 compression dynamos (that's exactly 10,000 RF/t so its optimum) with fuel and gelid cryotheum, I was making the gelid cryotheum right there in the engine room a few blocks away from the massive block of dynamos.

Out of curiosity, why do you think 10000 RF/tick is optimum?

To the OP, whichever way you choose, be careful with SFM and fluid level emitters. Both suffer from a fluid ID bug that can bork your setup if the fluid registry changes due to a mod update and/or if you add/remove a mod.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity, why do you think 10000 RF/tick is optimum?

Simply because the capacity of TE3 redstone energy conduit is 10000 RF/t, so to produce more than that each tick is wasting it. Also, the input capacity on a Resonant Energy Cell is the same 10000 RF/t so no need to feed it with more than that. I know I could run parallel conduit and energy cells to essentially have infinite storage, but my dynamos are very compact and all the power comes out from the bottom in one conduit - thus the 10000 RF/t limit. One such stack with one resonant energy cell as a battery/buffer has been more than sufficient for everything I've done to date in Monster.

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
buildcraft logic gates and a buildcraft tank to serve as a reservoir would be my best guess.

Place the tank down and set up a (minimum) iron AND gate next to it. the gate should read the tank and you can set it to however full you want it. then red pipe over to another gate adjacent to a crucible and set it so it will emit a redstone signal when it recieves a red pipe signal. That way when the tank hits a certain level it will emit and shut off the crucible.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Simply because the capacity of TE3 redstone energy conduit is 10000 RF/t, so to produce more than that each tick is wasting it. Also, the input capacity on a Resonant Energy Cell is the same 10000 RF/t so no need to feed it with more than that. I know I could run parallel conduit and energy cells to essentially have infinite storage, but my dynamos are very compact and all the power comes out from the bottom in one conduit - thus the 10000 RF/t limit. One such stack with one resonant energy cell as a battery/buffer has been more than sufficient for everything I've done to date in Monster.

No.

If everything comes out on one conduit, the MAX amount of power you can have in the conduit is 10000rf/t multiplied by however many devices you have outputting power into the conduit. So if you have a dynamo tower with all the power outputting via a single conduit, your limit is technically WAY over 10000rf/t. It's just that to get over 10000rf/t coming out you'd need 126 magmatic dynamos, or a stack of 4x32ish XD

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Simply because the capacity of TE3 redstone energy conduit is 10000 RF/t, so to produce more than that each tick is wasting it.
As @malicious_bloke already said, wrong. The limit is per connection, the conduit itself has no limit. You can power 20000 pulverizers with 10000 dynamos with a single line of leadstone conduit as long as you don't try to put an energy cell in between.
Same holds true for energy cells. You can load a resonant one with 60000 RF/tick if you connect it on all 6 sides.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
As @malicious_bloke already said, wrong. The limit is per connection, the conduit itself has no limit. You can power 20000 pulverizers with 10000 dynamos with a single line of leadstone conduit as long as you don't try to put an energy cell in between.
Same holds true for energy cells. You can load a resonant one with 60000 RF/tick if you connect it on all 6 sides.

Well yes, but for usefulness you'd have to say 50000rf/t input and have one face for output :p