Automatic Server Backup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mark Wascher Jr

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a way to automatically backup a FTB server. A few friends and I play on a server I run on a spare computer (windows 7) that I have. We currently use the DW20 pack but will be soon switching to the Ultimate Pack. Right now I try my best to remember to backup the server files manually every few days. It has helped at times having the backups because the computer is not extremely reliable. Point being I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to automatically backup the files at a scheduled time everyday.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I use a bat file that I run daily for my server.

If your running it localy that is probly the best.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'll see what I can dig up. I had a drive crash recently and lost my minecraft server data back ups and all.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I've used ForgeBackup for the last couple of months. Its backup interval is configurable, and you can set a maximum number of backups to keep. Additionally, it can create a daily backup in a separate folder, plus a weekly backup for longer-term storage. You may also add any other files to its backup through the config. https://github.com/monoxide0184/ForgeBackup

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
this is my basic back up bat I run it manually before or after I run my server. I dont run my server 24/7 so it is fairly easy to do this.

SET DateTime=%DATE% %TIME%
SET year=%DateTime:~10,4%
SET month=%DateTime:~4,2%
SET day=%DateTime:~7,2%
SET DateString=%year%_%month%_%day%
PUSHD C:\Program Files\7-Zip\
7z a -tzip (BACKUP NAME AND DIR) (WORLD LOCATION)
POPD
REN (BACKUP NAME AND DIR) (BACKUP NAME AND DIR)%DateString%.7z
MOVE /Y (BACKUP NAME AND DIR)%DateString%.7z (DIR OF BACKUPS)

Soooo if you use the defaults you would have something like this.

SET DateTime=%DATE% %TIME%
SET year=%DateTime:~10,4%
SET month=%DateTime:~4,2%
SET day=%DateTime:~7,2%
SET DateString=%year%_%month%_%day%
PUSHD C:\Program Files\7-Zip\
7z a -tzip C:\Users\(UserName)\Documents\Minecraft\Server\Backup.7z C:\Users\(UserName)\Documents\Minecraft\Server\World
POPD
REN Backup.7z Backup%DateString%.7z
MOVE /Y Backup%DateString%.7z C:\Users\(UserName)\Documents\Minecraft\Server\Backups\

Now mind you this means you have 7Zip installed in the default location if not change the line with PUSHD in it. Also this will only work on windows. What this makes is file that is not only named by has a date and time stamp in its name.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Forgebackup works great and highly configurable. I'd suggest setting the # of backups to keep (otherwise it keeps them all...)

extrem09

Jul 29, 2019
I just use Forge Essentials.I find that not only does it have backup but it also has many other great features. and it is also highly configurable.