Automated Cow Farm, Detecting Adults (Mindcrack).

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Torigoma

Jul 29, 2019
I'm Trying to set up Chicken and Cow farms. However, I've run into a bit of a snag for my Cows (and Pigs).

My Farm is three Floors. Top Floor holds a few adult cows and a Feeder. The Second Floor is the "Growth" room, to store calfs till they are grown. Then they head to the bottom floor, the Incinerator.

I've got the breeding room and Incinerator up fine and dandy, but I can't figure out how to transfer the Calf from the top floor to the second without effecting the adults, and transferring the adults from the second floor to the Incinerator without wasting Calf that have yet to grow.

I know there is a item for this in Ultimate, but I'm not sure about Mind-crack, anyone know anything?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
The only way I have found to do this is with a normal farm setup is with MineFactory reloaded which in not in the Mindcrack pack. The only other option I know of is using the railcraft growth detector block which will activate on adult animals, but not on babies, but first you have to get the animal in the cart...

http://railcraft.wikispaces.com/Detectors+(Device)

Torigoma

Jul 29, 2019
Step 1) Install MFR
Step 2) Do exactly what you want in one easy machine
Step 3) Tell Guude to add it to his damn pack.
ROFL, that would be nice, wouldn't it?

So does no one know any workable methods? I thought Checker-boarding the floor might work, but that's a no go.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft is workable.. it just has a larger footprint. Use an embarking track to pick up the animal, have a growth detector trigger and switch the track to loop back around to the opposite side of the farm area where a disembarking track empties the cart. If the growth detector isn't triggered (baby or empty cart), have it go out and over to a disposal track inbetween two suspended tracks and drop the animal below to the next area.

On the next level, reverse it so only adult animals get dropped into the disposal area, and the baby animals are looped around and deposited on the opposite side of the pen. Dropping the incorrect animal off on the opposite side of the pen will decrease the chances of picking up the same animal a second time.

You may have to manually adjust the population from time to time depending on your layout. It is possible that a baby animal will not walk near the embarking track like you want and will over-populate the initial pen.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What netmc said. I've seen a breeding machine do something like this in vanilla with carts, but being vanilla, even as an automated system it was fairly manual.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm Trying to set up Chicken and Cow farms. However, I've run into a bit of a snag for my Cows (and Pigs).

My Farm is three Floors. Top Floor holds a few adult cows and a Feeder. The Second Floor is the "Growth" room, to store calfs till they are grown. Then they head to the bottom floor, the Incinerator.

I've got the breeding room and Incinerator up fine and dandy, but I can't figure out how to transfer the Calf from the top floor to the second without effecting the adults, and transferring the adults from the second floor to the Incinerator without wasting Calf that have yet to grow.

I know there is a item for this in Ultimate, but I'm not sure about Mind-crack, anyone know anything?
Wash half the population into the pen bellow. It's not perfect, but it works. Just scale your timing and feeding appropriately.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I think Steve's Carts might also have some modules/tools/whatevers to do this in the newer versions. I'm not sure if it has though, I've never looked into that part of SC and I don't know if Mindcrack has a version of SC that's up to date with that stuff.

I've seen it has cages for mobs though, so I assume it can pick up stuff and I think there are mob detection cards for use with the "advanced detector rail".

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
You could do it with the new vanilla mechanics if they ever decide to get to 1.5.1. :)

bloomspam

Jul 29, 2019
Before mfr, I did the first step (separating the babies from their parents) by keeping the breeder parents stuck permanently in embarking tracks around the feeder, floating on single blocks above the killing floor that the babies just dropped on to (killing floor pulsing with fire every hour or so.) Wasted some babies when the fire pulsed, but at least the parent population was static.