Automated Charcoal Furnace 1.5.2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
So in 1.4.7, I often ran an automatic charcoal factory using StevesCarts tree farming, standard fueled furnaces, and RedPower tubes. Wood goes into the top of the furnace, charcoal into the bottom, and charcoal is pulled out of the right side to stock the system.

In 1.5.2, I obviously lack RedPower. Anyone know a good alternative? All the systems I've tried seem to have various issues. Buildcraft/Golem/Turtle based systems fill both the top and fuel slots with wood. All the other systems (AE, LogisticsPipes, Extra Utilities) seem to be unable to pull out of the side slot; they either don't pull at all, or pull from the bottom/fuel slot.

Any suggestions?

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft all the way. And when they become available, Thermal expansion item tubey thingies (don't expect those to come soon, though)

Also, applied energistics is powerful if you know how to use it. (same with logistics pipes, but i don't know how to use it :p)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Have you never used BC pipes before? Oh baby, you're in for a treat. The automation versatility of those pipes are astounding.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You're using vanilla furnaces? You should consider using a Powered Furnace and a Steam Engine instead. Or Electric Furnace + Generator. They are both more fuel efficient and Powered Furnace can output automatically.

But the reason why vanilla furnaces work a bit differently is probably the addition of vanilla hoppers. They input smeltable stuff from the top, fuel from the side and output from bottom due to how the hopper can only pull from above itself. This is different to how most of the mod machines work as normally output is on the sides.

Reactions: QuantumPugilist

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Exspecially the Powered Furnace/Steamengine is nice, because they dont really need a lot of pipes. Simply feed the Powered Furnace Wood and Place up to 4 Steamengines next to it (you need 2 Sides open for Wood-Input and Excess Charcoal output, or even 3 sides, if you power the Furnace extern without having one of the Engines Feeding the Furnace).

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
There are ways to break blocks and automatically farm wood in vanilla? I didn't know that. Enlighten us please.
He is not asking for how to farm wood. He is asking for how to make automatic chacoal machine.
Machine itself just smelts wood and feeds itself and give you extra. It doesn't mean you have automatic harvesting of wood.

Also, using endportal's bedrock in the end and wither and clever thinking, one can make almost automatic tree farm in vanilla(only planting). People are way smarter than you.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
He is not asking for how to farm wood. He is asking for how to make automatic chacoal machine.
Machine itself just smelts wood and feeds itself and give you extra. It doesn't mean you have automatic harvesting of wood.

Also, using endportal's bedrock in the end and wither and clever thinking, one can make almost automatic tree farm in vanilla(only planting). People are way smarter than you.

To be fair 'necessity is the mother of invention'. People like us who play modded minecraft wouldnt ever spend any mental energy trying to figure out how to automate vanilla furnaces (most people anyway) or run tree farms in vanilla because... we have forestry and MFR and whatever else. The people who play vanilla spend time on vanilla forums, trading ideas that none of us would even bother with, so they are much mroe likely to come up with automating things .... in a world that doesnt offer blocks that automate things for you (like tech mods do).

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair 'necessity is the mother of invention'. People like us who play modded minecraft wouldnt ever spend any mental energy trying to figure out how to automate vanilla furnaces (most people anyway) or run tree farms in vanilla because... we have forestry and MFR and whatever else. The people who play vanilla spend time on vanilla forums, trading ideas that none of us would even bother with, so they are much mroe likely to come up with automating things .... in a world that doesnt offer blocks that automate things for you (like tech mods do).
I like modded minecraft(why I'm here). But my point was if one can make automatic charcoal machine in vanilla, why one can't make automatic charcoal machine with mods? It is easier.
Possible in vanilla : Easier in FTB

Seriously, some hoppers and piping should do it.
And I recommend using induction furnace&generator. Much more faster and efficient than stone furnace.
Power furnace makes piping easier(auto eject) use steam engine from TE.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019

See? in vanilla you need a live wither to farm wood! And they say ST2 tree farms are expensive :)

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
I personally use bc pipes, with farm putting all wood directly in an induction furnace, which makes charcoal.
Charcoal gets pumped out, redstone engine on wood pipe on the side of furnace.
Hook this up to some pipes, leading to diamond pipes sending the charcoal up into an generator, (diamond pipe acts as an insertion pipe)
use the power from the generator to power the furnace and the treefarm.
Trust me, this makes a lot of power, and i easily expandable with multiple generators, one induction furnace is covering all my needs though ;)
Have fun!

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
You're using vanilla furnaces? You should consider using a Powered Furnace and a Steam Engine instead. Or Electric Furnace + Generator. They are both more fuel efficient and Powered Furnace can output automatically.

But the reason why vanilla furnaces work a bit differently is probably the addition of vanilla hoppers. They input smeltable stuff from the top, fuel from the side and output from bottom due to how the hopper can only pull from above itself. This is different to how most of the mod machines work as normally output is on the sides.

That solved it! Thank you. Seems that was the only problem, and now all my methods of item routing are working happily.

There's a good reason I'm using vanilla furnaces: it allows me to have an extremely dense, set-and-forget, self-fueling tree farm very early game. Generally when I reach the point of mid-tier IC2 (Induction Furnaces) or get my TE stuff running, I no longer need a tree farm using vanilla saplings; I transition to Forestry bred trees for sappiness and fruit.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
That solved it! Thank you. Seems that was the only problem, and now all my methods of item routing are working happily.

There's a good reason I'm using vanilla furnaces: it allows me to have an extremely dense, set-and-forget, self-fueling tree farm very early game. Generally when I reach the point of mid-tier IC2 (Induction Furnaces) or get my TE stuff running, I no longer need a tree farm using vanilla saplings; I transition to Forestry bred trees for sappiness and fruit.
Well, in that case, go with iron furnaces from ic2. They work exactly like vanilla furnaces except for the fact that they're a bit faster and more fuel efficient (10 smelts per coal instead of 8 iirc), and only cost a normal furnace and 5 iron, or if you don't need to save iron 8 iron ingots in a circle (like a normal furnace)

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019

Can't dispensers plant saplings? Then you could massively produce Charcoal with Vanilla.