Automated Bread Factory

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TardisCorgi

Jul 29, 2019
Im really new to Feed The Beast, and I wanted to make like.. and automated bread factory complete with a farm and stuff for the wheat.

How hard is it to do?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
This is a good project to get used to new FTB mechanics and it is quite simple. If you are on unleashed there is a new mod called Natura which has barley growing in the wild which you can harvest and replant the seeds. Instead of crafting barley into bread you instead craft it into flour. You then have to cook this flower in a furnace to make bread. I don't think this was possible in the 1.4.7 environment but in 1.5.2 I think you should be able to do this with ordinary vanilla wheat as well. If you can't find wild barley they do drop as seeds when you break tall grass.

There are several options for automated farming. The easiest farm is probably MFR farms however it does require power. It accepts bothe MJ and EU. For this you will need at least 2 machines and an optional third (all need power). The required machines are called the planter and harvester, the optional machine is the fertiliser.

By default these machines work on a 3*3 square. However you can upgrade them. Type @minefactory into the search bar in NEI to look at the upgrades. Find a place for your farm and put a planter underneath the centre square. You should probably dig out an area underneath for access and wiring. This accepts seeds and plants them. It also automatically tills the ground. You also don't need to worry about water. Put the harvester in the middle of one of the edges of the farm with the animated face facing the farm. When powered it will start harvesting fully grown plants and eject the produce out the back. It will eject into inventories, conveyor belts or buildcraft pipes. You will also notice a build up of sludge in your harvester . You don't have to worry about it because the machine will keep working even if the tank is full but you can pump it out with liquiducts (they autoeject) and transfer it to another machine called a sludge boiler. Beware, it can poison you if you stand to close to it while it is working. The sludge boiler will produce stuff like dirt and soul sand and a couple of similar mod added stuff.

Make sure to move your produce back to your base via your planter where you can have your transport method of choice drop off the seeds into the planter so it can replant the field.

There are autocrafting facilities in FTB. One of the strongest in my opinion is from Thermal expansion and it is called the cyclic assembler. You will also need a schematic which you "program" with the recipe and then you supply the assembler with power and items and bam you have an automatic flour maker. I don't know how familiar you are with TE machines but the assembler will work well with the powered furnace to bake the bread.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
There are numerous ways to do this. This is arguably one of the easiest type of factories to make. Multiple mods all have ways of doing automatic crafting. Buildcraft has the auto-crafting table. Thermal expansion has the cyclic assembler. GregTech has the electric crafting table Mk III. You could also go completely overboard and use the molecular assembly chamber from Applied Energistics. All of these will take items from the input and auto-craft them into their output using the crafting recipe.

There are 2-3 steps to building a bread farm. The first is growing the wheat and/or barley (and harvesting/planting). The next is turning the wheat into flour and then baking, or turning the wheat into bread directly. The last is subjective, and that is automating the item transportation from the farm all the way to your storage system.

This can be done with varying levels of automation. To start off, you might just automate the turning of wheat into bread directly. This could be as simple as a couple of hoppers (to move items into and out of the crafting table), the buildcraft auto-crafting table, and a couple chests (input and output). Next, you might use wheat converted to flour in a crafting table, then baking the flour in a furnace to increase your bread yield from 3 wheat per bread to 1 wheat per bread. Now, you not only have to automate the crafting, but also supply fuel to the furnace.

Things can get more complex from there as you automate the different sections. As casilleroatr pointed out above, you can automate the actual farming. This can again be done using a bunch of different mods (forestry, minefactory reloaded and thaumcraft come to mind most readily). You can also automate the item transportation and move your resources from the farm to the end storage. As most mods have an energy requirement to operate their machines, as you automate different sections, not only do you have to build the farm, you now also have to build the engines and generators required to power the machines. This starts greatly increasing the complexity and required infrastructure.

Start with what you know. Add on from there. You can get overloaded if you try to do it all at once, as there are lots of contingencies that need to be accounted for as the automation gets progressively more advanced and integrated. The ultimate in automation/integration is you doing nothing while your automated system takes care of your farming, harvesting, fuel production, bread production and storing the finished product--all the while making it robust enough to handle excess items, energy shortages, and able to run without additional maintenance. In some worlds, I never make it this far, and instead settle for semi-automatic, as it leaves time to devote to other sections of minecraft like exploring or building.

If you have difficulties, let us know what items/mods you are working with, and we can further assist if necessary.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Wheatfarm powered by Forestry/Minefactory/golems/IC2 In to macerator/pulveriser then in to Furnace of any type.

Depending on the pack you can just make do with 2 auto crafting tables.
On one of the server I play on I have a BC/TE powered ore processor that can also be purposed for bread paper and charcoal among other things.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
This is a good project to get used to new FTB mechanics and it is quite simple. If you are on unleashed there is a new mod called Natura which has barley growing in the wild which you can harvest and replant the seeds. Instead of crafting barley into bread you instead craft it into flour. You then have to cook this flower in a furnace to make bread. I don't think this was possible in the 1.4.7 environment but in 1.5.2 I think you should be able to do this with ordinary vanilla wheat as well. If you can't find wild barley they do drop as seeds when you break tall grass.

FYI you can also process wheat into flour now.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the sheer amount of wheat that automated farms output, and the extremely low food consumption requirements of players, even a simple Buildcraft auto-workbench combining 3 wheat into 1 bread will produce far more than you'll ever need. It is the simplest possible setup.

Using flour grinding and baking will triple bread output, but requires a bigger pipe system to automate (and a fuel/energy source for the two machines).

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the sheer amount of wheat that automated farms output, and the extremely low food consumption requirements of players, even a simple Buildcraft auto-workbench combining 3 wheat into 1 bread will produce far more than you'll ever need.

True, but if he's doing it as a first-project sort of thing, might as well get as much out of it as he can.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree. As a first project you should build something simple that works, and understand why it works. Then, in following steps, you can (and should ;)) improve on it.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can also pulverize/macerate the wheat/barley to get more flour... thats a good practice, since you would do the same for ores :)