At what point do YOU start Applied Energistics?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
At what point in your world or server do you usually start applied energistics? I am still on AE1, on 1.6.4, but when did you usually start it? It seems to require quite a bit of resources from my experience, but sometimes I see people have it almost the first thing they do and I wonder how that is even possible. I never waste my time on 1k or 4k disks, I always go straight to 64k as the other ones never hold enough for me...

So, as I said earlier, when do you usually start AE?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.7 it's whenever I can be bothered to spend more than 10 minutes looking for meteors. And waiting for stuff to grow, etc.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I hold out, until the noise of chests opening and closing constantly annoys me enough to go on a search for Meteors. Oh, and I usually have an Air sigil or some kind of rapid transport because...

Reactions: mattp_12

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
I never waste my time on 1k or 4k disks, I always go straight to 64k as the other ones never hold enough for me...
Using all 64k disks is a huge waste of resources if you're storing items that you don't have many of, or don't stack. Big disks can still only store 63 different item types. Sure, in the late game, resources aren't an issue, but I'd never start out with only 64k disks.

What I tend to do is make a few 1k disks, and import those items that I don't have many of first. Since I'm fairly organised about chests before I have AE, that's generally pretty easy. Then I add a few 4k disks, and some formatted 16k disks for bulk storage where I'm not using barrels or storage drawers, moving to 64k disks later on.

Another useful tip if you have ExUtils is to add an advanced filing cabinet via a storage bus (raise the priority), and get all your non-stacking items into that, with an IO port if necessary. Saves a lot of item slots.

As for when I start on AE, usually shortly after I have a stable power supply of a few hundred RF/t and a few stacks of certus/nether quartz. If I'm still in a temporary base, the system is likely to be very rough & ready (drive plus crafting terminal and not much else)...

Reactions: Aetherpirate

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I hold out, until the noise of chests opening and closing constantly annoys me enough to go on a search for Meteors. Oh, and I usually have an Air sigil or some kind of rapid transport because...
In 1.7 it's whenever I can be bothered to spend more than 10 minutes looking for meteors. And waiting for stuff to grow, etc.
He is playing 1.6.4, which doesn't have meteors, which he stated in his first post.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Using all 64k disks is a huge waste of resources if you're storing items that you don't have many of, or don't stack. Big disks can still only store 63 different item types. Sure, in the late game, resources aren't an issue, but I'd never start out with only 64k disks.

What I tend to do is make a few 1k disks, and import those items that I don't have many of first. Since I'm fairly organised about chests before I have AE, that's generally pretty easy. Then I add a few 4k disks, and some formatted 16k disks for bulk storage where I'm not using barrels or storage drawers, moving to 64k disks later on.

Another useful tip if you have ExUtils is to add an advanced filing cabinet via a storage bus (raise the priority), and get all your non-stacking items into that, with an IO port if necessary. Saves a lot of item slots.

As for when I start on AE, usually shortly after I have a stable power supply of a few hundred RF/t and a few stacks of certus/nether quartz. If I'm still in a temporary base, the system is likely to be very rough & ready (drive plus crafting terminal and not much else)...

I usually only have one or two 64k drives which I use for stuff of which I have a huge amount but for all the rest I tend to use 16k stuff

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
ASAP. Having all my stuff in one place makes crafting a breeze. And I start with 4k cells. As soon as I can make stable power, I go meteor hunting.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
When I get tired of having full chests or want to have some actual automating done.

Or when I get something like this...
2015-09-23_07.16.15.png 2015-09-23_07.16.15.png

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Usually as soon as I can. I prefer to have a central location to get all of my items from. But, I guess I'm a little weird in that the majority of my storage is 1k disks. Anything larger than 1k is partitioned for bulk storage of a single item. I'm also a little weird in that I don't use storage buses just to store items (like a DSU). If I use a storage bus it is in combination with some type of automation process.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I use a barrel chain at first with a trashcan on the end and just have all my production put into an ender chest which then feeds into all the barrels, you can delay AE for a really long time like this and when you do start it you have plenty resources.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Typically once my initial chest storage fills. Since that's usually 6-8 double chests, it's not fast, but it's not slow either. Mostly it's when I get a persistent power system going.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
Who needs that stuff JUST go to the end Grab some ender air and Make Yourself a corporea spark System from botania

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
It's usually one of my first things after the initial mining splurge to be honest; a drive full of 1k storage cells and a crafting terminal are such good early game quality of life improvements.