Request Assistance: How Can I Get Minecraft to Run More Smoothly

Svangen

Jul 29, 2019
I've made my own mod pack on curse, but the issue is, even though I allocated 10gb of RAM to it, it crashes saying it doesn't have enough RAM. Prior to this happening, it gets unbearably laggy, so I look at the Task Manager on Windows only to see that it is using just about as much as it can possibly use. The mod pack has over 150 mods (I don't remember the exact amount). I started the world yesterday, so it wouldn't be from any machines or in-game thing like that. The computer has, in total 16gb of RAM, and it is new (since early August).
What should I do? Is there an in-game thing I could use (I have Optifine Ultra already). I thought about buying a dedicated server; is that necessary?

P.S. Minecraft also is the only thing that is running while I play.

In case you want to see it: MY MODPACK

Last edited:

schyler

Jul 29, 2019
I've made my own mod pack on curse, but the issue is, even though I allocated 10gb of RAM to it, it crashes saying it doesn't have enough RAM. Prior to this happening, it gets unbearably laggy, so I look at the Task Manager on Windows only to see that it is using just about as much as it can possibly use. The mod pack has over 150 mods (I don't remember the exact amount). I started the world yesterday, so it wouldn't be from any machines or in-game thing like that. The computer has, in total 16gb of RAM, and it is new (since early August).
What should I do? Is there an in-game thing I could use (I have Optifine Ultra already). I thought about buying a dedicated server; is that necessary?

P.S. Minecraft also is the only thing that is running while I play.

In case you want to see it: MY MODPACK
What is your CPU? Also, never allocate more than 4GB of RAM.

schyler

Jul 29, 2019
intel i7 and I think it's 4th gen. Why no more than 4gb? Won't it crash?
No it won't crash. You should never put more than 4GB because it risks overloading your RAM. You have to remember that Minecraft runs only on CPU so there's not much you can do.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
No it won't crash. You should never put more than 4GB because it risks overloading your RAM. You have to remember that Minecraft runs only on CPU so there's not much you can do.
To add on to this, the reason why you shouldn't give Minecraft more then 4gb is because of garbage collection and Java itself. It'll just eat everything its given and take longer to do garbage collection. So even if the pack does start up, when garbage collection happens, you'll get sizeable FPS drops thanks to your CPU having to clean up 7-8 gigabytes at a time instead of a much smaller 4gb.

Last edited:
Reactions: schyler

schyler

Jul 29, 2019
To add on to this, the reason why you shouldn't give Minecraft more then 4gb is because of garbage collection and Java itself. It'll just eat everything it's giving and take longer to do garbage collection. So even if the pack does start up, when garbage collection happens, you'll get sizeable FPS drops thanks to your CPU having to clean up 7-8 gigabytes at a time instead of a much smaller 4gb.
Exactly.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried it without optifine? In modded MC it can cause more problems than it fixes.
Also while the 4gig ram allocation is good advice chances are one of your mods is causing a memory leak.
Are you using any world/biome gen mods? They can be pretty laggy if overdone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

schyler

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried it without optifine? In modded MC it can cause more problems than it fixes.
Also while the 4gig ram allocation is good advice chances are one of your mods is causing a memory leak.
Are you using any world/biome gen mods? They can be pretty laggy if overdone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Anything like biomes o plenty etc. can cause lag due to overriding the natural generation of biomes and putting in new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk