Ascension of the Technomancer - a chronicle

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Makes sense. I disagree, but I can certainly see your point.

I see "engine" or "generator" and I think "makes power"... because they do all have some kind of input, even falling water, sunlight, wind, magnetism, radioactivity, magic, redstone, gravity, thermal energy, flowing fluids, chemical interactions, combustion, etc. All of those IRL transform their input into a more useful and directed form of energy (kinetic or electric 99% of the time), but even in real life there's a lot of power sources that we basically just tap into the stream for. Which, now that I think about it is effectively renewables excepting biofuels and adding nuclear.

And much like Reika, I'm not a fan of engine spam. I'll do it when there are no viable alternatives, but I nearly always prefer to go to a more dense energy source (in terms of both space and energy density). So even before the limit I wouldn't have chained together more than probably 8 engines, and only long enough to get the next tier of engine.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And much like Reika, I'm not a fan of engine spam. I'll do it when there are no viable alternatives, but I nearly always prefer to go to a more dense energy source (in terms of both space and energy density). So even before the limit I wouldn't have chained together more than probably 8 engines, and only long enough to get the next tier of engine.
Don't misunderstand: I also hate engine spam. You'll never see me exploiting various spammy energy solutions (or infinite-lava-energy solutions either, different topic). If its not reasonably unusual and/or interesting, I won't bother with it.

I just prefer choice/creativity. It was neat that I *could* waste all afternoon chaining DC engines together if I wanted to. It meant I could take an alternative (weirder) route through a gate if I wanted to.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I like alternatives, I don't like... deliberately inefficient alternatives, if that makes sense? That you can simply brute force a solution is a design flaw in my eyes. I like clever exploits (the use of intentional mechanics in unintended ways, and even the use of somewhat unintentional mechanics in interesting ways. Perfect examples being the insanity that the folks on the SciCraft server get up to with effectively pure vanilla), but... how do I put this without coming across as rude... when your solution directly lacks creativity and originality of thought? Then I'm not particularly sympathetic.

I like simple-block engineering. I tolerate parallelization. I enjoy upgrades. But, basically? If I could invite my friend's toddler over and have reasonable expectations that they could implement it with minimal instruction and no oversight? Not a fan.

Ultimately though, it's a difference in playstyle. I like purposeful options. You like options in general.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I like alternatives, I don't like... deliberately inefficient alternatives, if that makes sense? That you can simply brute force a solution is a design flaw in my eyes. I like clever exploits (the use of intentional mechanics in unintended ways, and even the use of somewhat unintentional mechanics in interesting ways. Perfect examples being the insanity that the folks on the SciCraft server get up to with effectively pure vanilla), but... how do I put this without coming across as rude... when your solution directly lacks creativity and originality of thought? Then I'm not particularly sympathetic.

I like simple-block engineering. I tolerate parallelization. I enjoy upgrades. But, basically? If I could invite my friend's toddler over and have reasonable expectations that they could implement it with minimal instruction and no oversight? Not a fan.

Ultimately though, it's a difference in playstyle. I like purposeful options. You like options in general.
Its only "rude" if you're attempting to connect your comments to someone in particular. Are you? If it was directly addressed to me, yes, its somewhat rude (and remarkably inaccurate.) If its just a general statement, its not rude at all, and I agree with it entirely ;)

I respect intelligent approaches to problems. I like having to push away from my desk sometimes so I can build that solution out properly, with pen and paper if necessary. I more or less always assumed you were of a similar mindset tbh :)

Reika's mods can scratch this itch wonderfully until you learn the "approved" way to do things. The good news is that my memory is terrible, so it pays off for me to go back and revisit those mods from time to time. I'm especially fond of the fission mechanics, and Reika's been pretty fair about clamping down on some of the weirder things I've done with his reactors.

I just don't like atomic, memorizable solutions to problems whereby every player follows the exact same sequence of events. Its one thing to tell me I *should* do thing a certain way. Its a different matter altogether to tell me I must. These are just basic game design principals.