Ascension of the Technomancer - a chronicle

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hi everyone. In this thread, I intend to document my progress through the modpack "Ascension of the Technomancer".

860_AotT.png

AotT is a challenging modpack with an interesting backstory and lots of cross-mod interaction. It may be an odd choice for someone like me - I've often said I dislike fighting, and AotT includes many boss fights as part of its story - but it is the only modpack I could find that's kept current with Reika's mods in it, and it turns out that the mods in the pack - add so much new content I never knew that I'm actually looking forward to it in spite of that. There's also a backstory that appeals to me: you have been exiled from your home for dabbling in "forbidden knowledge" and must survive on your own now. Of course, you'll continue to "challenge the gods" (some special events and messages you get make this appear as more than superstition, and Advent of Ascension apparently lets you visit "the outer realms" at some point) and acquire more personal power through both magic and technology. It is a theme I am quite fond of.

My main goal in this game is to play through as much of the Advent of Ascension content as I can - I'm not sure I'll manage to get to the very end - and acquiring most of the achievements in AotT's achievement book, while also doing a very comprehensive playthrough of ChromatiCraft. Which means that I'll use everything in CrC that appears useful to me in preference to the same functionality from other mods, though I will not delay to acquire that functionality if CrC offers it later (flight comes to mind). To that end, I have found I'll have to progress in several different mods.

It should be noted that GregTech (v5 experimental) is a very notable presence in this pack, which is quite annoying in the early game. When I started, I thought I'd minimize my involvement with GT (which according to the guide, is possible once you passed the bronze age), but since my dissatisfaction with GT comes mostly from its lack of good power generation options and Immersive Engineering's wires can transform RF to EU, we'll see. Perhaps I'll do more with GT.

So, I am up to the challenge, but in spite of that there are a few things I changed in the pack:
(1) I disabled Random Things' Blood Moon.
There are enough adverse events that I don't need that as well. I may re-enable it if I find that the events are easy to deal with, but at the very least I'll enable sleeping. There's no point in waiting in your house for a Minecraft day. The pack author even recommends you should attempt to sleep through adverse events as long as you don't have really good gear.
(2) I set Agricraft to not let weed destroy plants and cropsticks.
I can deal with the presence of weed, but I don't want to babysit my crops all the time, that's just boring.
(3) I set ChromatiCraft's "Allow Danger in Rainbow Forests" to false.
As it turned out that wasn't necessary since quite contrary to the guide, rainbow forests and not plains or forests are the safest biomes by far even without that setting (I forgot to set the parameter when I re-installed the pack after a problem), but it fits the theme. The CrC progression achievement about rainbow forests even mentions that it's supposed to be a place safe from evil. Not that you're completely safe - *nowhere* is safe in this pack - but you can build there with much less interference than anywhere else.
(4) I set Thaumcraft's "taint spread" parameter to 0.
Taint can easily destroy the world if you play for long enough, and is almost impossible to contain once there is a large-scale infestation. Also, it makes you hurry through Thaumcraft progression, and that's just not possible in this pack.
(5) I shortened the length of "Spice of Life"'s food diary from 144 to 72.
(6) I updated Reika's mods to v19. The version in the pack is v18, and I think Lazerous42 will eventually make the update officially - after all v19 is just a month old - but I thought I'd try on my own. I just hope the many damaged pylons I find aren't a side effect of that. I don't recall if you can repair pylons, but if not, making a lumen network will cost significantly more resources. Updating Reika's mods made it necessary to deal with a biome ID conflict between Fossil Archaeology and ChromatiCraft and an enchantment ID conflict between WitchingGadgets and ChromatiCraft. Fortunately, the pack author has included a mod named "AntiIDConflict", which among other things, creates lists of free IDs in its config folder.
(6) I added Reika's ElectriCraft (disabling its oregen to keep that aspect of the pack unchanged).
I like my auroral batteries. Not that I'll have one of those any time soon, but should I decide to build another fusion reactor, I consider EC's cables, conversion motors and batteries indispensable.
(7) Finally, I added MoCreatures as recommended by the author. It can't be distributed with the pack since the mod creator doesn't allow that.

The New World

All right, it's time to start the game. The pack author officially recommends being choosy in your starting location, creating new worlds where needed and looking around in creative mood to find a good starting location with veins of some important ores nearby. So I did just that. You can detect Tin, Tetrahedrite (copper) and coal veins easily on mountain slopes where stone is exposed. There is a spattering of traditional oregen in the pack so that you're not completely screwed if you can't find a GT vein, but it's not enough for mass production of metals.

The world I finally used was my very first one. It has a beautiful biome distribution, and I found a good starting spot in a rainbow forest about 2.5km north of my spawn point (to which I reset the spawn point as recommended in the guide). If anyone's interested, the seed is "IeldrasAscension", and if you don't change any biome weights, you'll get the same world. There is also a very good chance you'll have a CrC ocean temple about 200m north-north-east of your spawnpoint. Here's the map of my starting location:

860_StartPosition.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of rainbow forest around me,there's highland with a good chance of more GT copper, tin, bauxite, magnetite and coal veins to the NW, and the forest behind that is CrC's Ender Forest which will also be very useful. There's TC Magical Forest which is also unexpectedly safe in comparison, and a village not too near, but also not too far where I go to raid chests.

I also read the guide as recommended in the achievement book. Really, RFTM if you play this pack. The information in there is important. Also, there's an annoying bug mentioned in the guide: the first time in any game session you look up a recipe in NEI, there might be a delay of several minutes before it appears. The same applies to using the "U" function, but apparently there's always a chance of that happening. This is explained in the guide and it's nothing the pack author can do anything about. Blame some GT / CrC interaction. Also,it has to be said that the pack load times are absolutely horrible. I haven't measured it, but it expect it to be about 10-15 minutes.

The First Days

This nice little house is given to you courtesy of Minecraft Comes Alive, which adds a lot of NPCs, the ability to create a three-question personal description of your game avatar, and finally gives you a house. You invoke that by using a crystal ball you start with, and you should be in a reasonably flat location that's clear of anything you don't want to destroy. The style of the house may not be to everyone's taste, but I have grown fond of it.
(Hmm....I recall the abbreviation "MCA" from a long time ago, when a mod named "Morrowind Comes Alive" did basically the same thing to that game. I wonder if there's some connection)

860_House.jpg

It even comes with a little fenced garden where you can grow your first crops:

860_FarmPatch.jpg

BTW, the resourcepack I'm using is "Soartex Invictus Modded Universal", with the water textures copied over from the ChigoCraft resource pack.

Exploring the world, I find there are a lot of structures, which can be abandoned, inhabited by people or inhabited by monsters. This makes the world feel really alive. These little abandoned gardens I found just a few steps away from my house.
860_OldFarm.jpg

860_Garden.jpg

Some way south of my house is fortified village. I didn't find any gravel near my house in spite of the water, and I'll need quite a bit of flint for my first tools, so this patch of gravel is convenient:
860_Gravel.jpg

Raiding the smithy, this is quite the haul: Never mind the metals and weapons, which are already quite nice, the most valuable thing in here is the 12 (!!!) pieces of epic beacon. Every one of them will last several MC days as long as I don't do too much fighting or mining.
860_Smithy.jpg

On my way back home, I have a short look into a cave to find....another tin vein, just a few steps from my house! That's f***** amazing, now I don't need to climb over the dangerous highlands for my tin. No, the blocks on the left are not diamond ore.
860_MoreTin.jpg

Now that I have flint tools that last longer than a minute, I can do more exploration...

Don't think I'm stupid, people, there are other ways to this chest than to step on these pressure plates. There are a lot of trapped structures like that. Of course everyone knows what not do to, but there's always a chance you get careless in a hurry, right? The other structure has zombie spawners - recall I said you aren't safe even here - and I found to my annoyance that I can't break them with my flint tools.
860_Structure2.jpg

860_Structure1.jpg

Hmm....seeing this Nila pylon, I recall I must get really close to one at least once for a progression achievement, and they do considerable damage. Death is quite possible.
860_Nila1.jpg

So I put all my stuff away and run into the centre of the pylon, jump up once facing the sky and run away as fast as I can. And yay, I survived (look at the health bar...2.5 hearts left. One more discharge and I wouldn've been dead. Phew) and got two CrC progression achievements.
860_Nila2.jpg

Another CrC achievement in a cave right across from my house. Unfortunately, I find I can't break the crystal with my flint tools either. Grrr...
860_Crystal.jpg

The Great Sheep Hunt

Next order of business: make a sleeping bag. This is 100% indispensable for exploration in this pack. You do NOT want to be caught away from home at night. This proved to be unexpectedly and terrifyingly hard. Because, well, there are mods in this pack that add a lot of passive mobs, so the standard ones spawn with a much lower chance than usual. After several days, I'm still short three wool, and I didn't have the metals and tools to even make a shear (damn you, GregTech) so I killed the sheep before knowing exactly how rare they would prove to be.

Well, I need to get into AgriCraft anyway, and string can be made from Industrial Hemp. This needs more wood, which makes it necessary to make some GT tools to avoid wasting a lot of wood. This requires iron, and I haven't found any yet, but my flint tools aren't really good for a lot of mining. So I decided to explore more of the world beyond my forest in spite of the danger. I raided quite a few chests, and finally, nearby yet another fortified town, I found this:

860_OrePillar.jpg

Uh, perhaps I should've thought of this being a little *too* convenient or be suspicious of the slight block update delay after mining one of those iron ore blocks (couldn't mine the redstone yet), because after mining a few blocks, suddenly there spawned a number of dangerous-looking stone golems around this ore pillar. I hightailed it out of there ASAP, killing one minor mob on the way which dropped a "winter gift" - some AoA item I could open. On the way back, I found two more sheep - and I'm still short one wool.

A Dangerous Gift

Well, that "winter gift" proved to be a poisoned chalice. I opened it - and a demon appeared who killed me in two hits. Great. Now the demon was in my house on the ground floor and I had respawned in my bed upstairs. I hurried down and picked up my stuff and went out the door ASAP, and since the demon was too big to fit through the door it was trapped in the house and I could kill it with relative ease. I should mention you should remove the stone slabs adjacent to your bed since otherwise there is a good chance of your bed being blocked for respawn.
Oh, and the demon had dropped another "winter gift". I decided to test if things always go like that, only not in my house this time. They do, and I backed up into my doorway to kill yet another demon.

It's All Peanuts

OK, with the sleeping bag still not made, I decided if things take too long, I'll need food. The guide recommends breaking HarvestCraft gardens until you find a peanut seed - apparently you can make many different foods from peanut butter and jam sandwiches or suchlike. I had broken several gardens without finding a peanut seed, and the gardens were sparse to begin with, so no luck there. However, in one of the chests I raided - really, there are a lot of structures - I had picked up a HarvestCraft Market, and I also had 11 emeralds (and no iron again, this is a really strange pack) so I could just buy a peanut seed.

So much for the first session in this pack. It has proven exciting in some parts, annoyingly grindy (thanks a lot, GT) in others. I am in the very odd situation of being, among other things, the owner of 10 emeralds, 8 ender lily seeds (and there's a structure formerly inhabited by a "farlander" around the corner which is made from Endstone), 8 gold and 6 thaumium ingots, an "Ender" Sword and dark steel boots, but no iron or copper ore. I'll now spend some time breeding AgriCraft stuff. There will be no screenshots of that. And then, well, I'll admit I'm very much prepared to cheat with finding GT veins (which takes a little more work than you'd expect but is still way less annoying than mining kilometres of rock and bypassing what you need by two metres), but Chalcopyrite veins have iron as well as copper, and they're usually much more common than limonite veins (GT's main source of iron), so I'll do some core sampling before going elsewhere. Also there is a mod called "GTVeinLocator" in the pack. I'll have to see what that can do for me.

I'll also need to watch a spotlight of Advent of Ascension.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I had to roll back my update of Reika's mods because of a bug that disabled smelting of standard ore dusts into ingots in any kind of furnace. I could've loaded my world into the downgraded pack but was afraid of possible consequences for ChromatiCraft progression, so I restarted the world and most of yesterday was spent recreating my progress of the day before.

Having said that, I make some progress anyway. I have my sleeping bad, so my exploration range has expanded. I now have wrought iron tools, and an IE coke oven and a Bloomery furnace to make it, as well as an AE2 Grindstone which doesn't help me with GT ores but doubles standard ores. I also mined several stacks of tetrahedrite ore and the mine up the mountain is now depleted. And there I did the stairway I built up there would be useful for longer. There is a Galazio pylon up there, but that won't be useful for quite some time.
860_EarlyBase.jpg

860_Stairs.jpg

Most of my time was spent with AgriCraft. I got significant breeding done - the +-shaped breeding setups get your traits up reasonably fast - but man, is that boring. Also, I think I can now make epic bacon for myself, since all I need apart from tofu are dyes. This means I can prolong the grace period for SpiceOfLife significantly. Here's how my farming setup looks. Nothing impressive.
860_Farm1.jpg

860_Farm2.jpg

And...are that IC2 rubber trees right behind my house? I honestly did not pay attention to that when I set up here, and I always thought these trees don't grow in rainbow forests, but here you are. The closest to IC2 rubber trees I ever settled, and it was all accidental, LOL:
860_Rubber.jpg

*Chuckles* I found this in my abandoned world, sadly, so I don't have this...er...trophy...any more, but I must say it is about the funniest thing you could find right after cursing GT to hell for its early-game inefficiency:
860_Greg.jpg

What I also found is a Chromic Lexicon, which is nice since it needs glowstone and very specific crystals to craft, and most importantly, in a village there was an Engineer villager in whose chest I found, among other things, one steel ingot! Now I can make a flint&steel and go to the nether to pick up some Netherrack to make the IE blast furnace. I won't need to make hundreds of bronze ingots for a GT early blast furnace. Hopefully at least. First, though I need way more iron and that magnetite vein I found is non-optimal, though it also has some gold. Regarding ChromatiCraft, I'm still missing fragments

Finally, I also found there is a roguelike dungeon from Advent of Ascension right under this rainbow forest, its entrance in an unassuming ruin hidden between trees. I didn't make any screenshots there because I was busy fighting. Some of these AoA mobs are difficult to kill. I've heard some are even immune to certain attack forms.

So, nothing much happened that would make for all that interesting pictures, but it's all part of the story. As with other "expert style" packs, the start is slow...

Edit:
I visited another roguelike Dungeon, this time not from AoA, and found it survivable. Picked up some more "Winter Gifts", and apparently the two demons were really bad luck, since I got quite valuable stuff from them, among it three blocks of iron I can't craft into ingots since I need a machine for that in this pack, grrr, and ... eight Blaze rods. Another step to the blast furnace. Apart from that, I find that in a pack like this, the chest loot is really nice to have, even where it's only a handful of iron ingots. I also found an enchanted book, but GT swords are not enchantable it appears.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
There was significant progress in the last 24 hours - which I spent the larger portion of playing. I went on a giant exploration tour, where I found a Crystal Burrow and a Sandy Burrow. Oddly enough, Crystal Burrows are easy enough to find if you know what to look for in plains biomes, and Sandy Burrows are super-obvious anyway. I had to leave a lot of loot behind since even with my newly-made Project Red backpack (that's the one with the highest capacity I could make at the moment) there wasn't enough space for the contents of 18 chests. In any case, I found some nice stuff, a crystal wing among them (instant go-home magic for four times before it's destroyed), and a mob from AoA dropped a Cinderfall Sword which sets enemies on fire and summons fire elementals as allies. I also found a shotgun - called "blaster" in AoA, which runs on slugs made from Limonite (the AoA version, distinct from the GT version). I can't mine limonite yet (you need a diamond-level pickaxe) but I had found some ingots in a chest. Turns out this gun has too much knockback to handle comfortably, but I did kill some sort of floating super-creeper with it which dropped two realmstones and a teleporter blueprint - presumably you get to AoA dimensions that way, but I'm not ready for that.

During my exploration tour, I found that boats break far too easily and that the waters are more dangerous than in other packs. Even in shallow waters you'll encounter alligators. However, I also found this not half a kilometre from my base in the ocean:
860_OceanTemple1.jpg
The L-shaped structure you can see on the map is a ChromatiCraft ocean temple. The second one I've seen in this world. I can't get there yet, but they tend to have many fragments.

Regarding mining, I found a large limonite (GT) vein just two chunks north of my base. Nice, however, what the hell is this:
860_Serpent.jpg
This....thing is an AoA mob. Look at the health number. F******* hell! Well, it turned out it's not that hard to kill using hit-and-run tactics, since it can't leave the lava lake, but you need something to hide behind, since it shoots - blasts of cold (!) at you which do splash damage.

Back to mining, about six stacks of various kinds of iron ore later the place looks like this - and it's still far from depleted:
860_IronVein.jpg
You can see in the background that I poured some water on the lava. That's because another serpent spawned there about a minute about I killed the first one. Odd thing in this area: I don't know if it's because of the rainbow forest, but there is a veritable rain of slimes down here, which have the grace of often killing themselves and leaving their loot behind to pick up. LOL, I've never seen something like it. I went back with about 20 slimeballs without having lifted a finger for them.

Also, now *that*'s what I call a coal vein:
860_Coal.jpg

These things, together with my copper and tin, enabled me to enter the steam age. You have to say one thing about GT's steam-powered machines: they may be slow, but they're extremely fuel-efficient. I macerated six stacks of iron ore with about a quarter of a stack of coal coke. Too bad you can't double coal output at this time. The crushed coal ore output by the macerator can be used as fuel in furnaces, but can be turned neither into coal or into coal coke, which is four times as efficient as normal coal. Here's my first tech setup:
860_SteamAge.jpg
Water is collected by the Railcraft water tank (which can easily keep up with four boilers) and pulled out by Immersive Engineering fluid pipes. They're slow without a pump, but fast enough for my needs at this point, and the only way I can see to transport fluids atm. EnderIO pipes are way beyond my capability to make in this pack as yet, and BC pipes need to be powered, and the Redstone Engine requires a Forestry Circuit to make, which requires a Carpenter and RF power. The four coal boilers are required to power the forge hammer, which makes 2 plates from 3 ingots instead of 1 from 2 like the handheld hammer, so you need to put in at least three ingots for it to run. Also, I made a steam alloy furnace and a steam compressor.

Also, I can now make steel. I visited the Nether (AoA mobs drop obsidian occasionally - but of course I found a cobalt vein (cobalt tools can break obsidian) right after I came back - to collect some Netherrack. Blaze rods I had from the Sandy Burrow. I do not need to make a GT steam-based blast furnace, yay! I'll need an electric one later to make aluminium it appears, but I won't need it for steel:
860_Steel.jpg

Unlocking Runecrafting in CrC unlocked a lot of new repices. Holy cow, Reika did quite some work on CrC since the last time I played it. I'll have to look what of all that is useful to me. I wonder if the ore-finding pickaxe can find GT ores. That would be useful.

AoA fighting turns out to be somewhat grindy. You need to level-up your hunter skills in order to fight higher-level mobs, else they'll be immune to anything you might do. Leveling up the hunter skill means....fight lots and lots of "hunter mobs". Rather annoying I have to say. I'm now at level 6. The mob with the highest requirement needs level 75. The AoA mining skill, however, turns out to be useful. You occasionally get additional drops or your picks mines more blocks in one hit. I am level 11. The scale ends at 100. Way to go.

The next order of business: make a silk-touched pickaxe. That's why I needed the steel compressor.Why? The best way to enchant stuff is the ChromatiCraft Enchanter, which you can unlock by making a Chroma Collector. The Chroma Collector recipe needs a glowstone block, which I can't harvest intact yet but which can be made from glowstone dust in a compressor. Liquid chroma is basically a kind of liquid XP, which you can then use in the enchanter to enchant items. I'll require a silk-touch pick in order to harvest crystals intact. These crystals can be put through a RotaryCraft grinder to yield 18 shards or used in other ways. Getting the required amount of XP is hard, however. Liquid Chroma is dense and enchanting it more expensive than normally. However, you can control the enchantments, you can put more enchantments on items, and intact Zambarau crystals give you XP if you're around them. I have found.....one so far. I'll have to stand around that for a long time in order to be able to harvest it intact.

Also next: build that RotaryCraft grinder setup. This is not hard at all as a rule, but RotaryCraft, while almost never requiring a lot of expensive resources, eats up shitloads of HSLA steel, even more in this pack where it's set to difficulty 3 and many item sets require 50% more HSLA steel than normally. While I was exploring that possibility, I found you can't craft stone bricks from normal smooth stone, nor can you Chisel it. It requires some mid-game GT machine to make. WTF? What purpose does this serve? You do need stone brick for RotaryCraft's blast furnace, but there are enough structures in the world made from it, so obtaining the few pieces you'll need is easy. All this does is to prevent you from building with it, and that is *very* annoying.

Speaking of the RoC grinder, it can only grind standard ores or their GT equivalents. It appears, however, that the extractor may be able to deal with the nonstandard GT ores. Should that turn out to be true, this will be the first game where I'll run an extractor with minimal power.

(I edited this section due to wrong calculations on my side)

I'll also need RF power. There I'm exploring the possibilities. RotaryCraft's Rotational Dynamo recipe is set to extra-difficult and requires a 16.384T permanent magnet to craft. It's obtained by putting 512 lodestones (obtained from magnetite) through a compactor with at least 524 kW of power, probably more. Hmm...as long as it isn't more than 2MW, that may be a good way to go, it's just acquiring all the iron that will prove hard. For alternatives, I dislike going through BuildCraft which rules out EnderIO and ThermalExpansion which both need BC components in this pack. I'll have to look what Immersive Engineering can do. To my disappointment the garden cloche has only been added in the 1.10+ versions. It all comes down to farming. I don't exactly dislike farming, but I resent the horizontal space it takes up. I may look into Ars Magica since it has a things than can drastically speed up farming.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I...was wrong. I had misremembered the difficulty of creating that permanent magnet required to export RF and EU power from RotaryCraft. It turns out all you need is 512 lodestones and run them through a compactor at its minimum power and heated with a minimum-power friction heater. So that's my plan for early-game powergen: progress in RotaryCraft until I can make gasoline engines, then make the electric engine and the rotational dynamo and export their power to GregTech and other mods where required. The mid-term goal is a set of hydrokinetics. One of those will provide 252 EU/t to GregTech/IC2 or 1kRF/t to RF-based mods.

Also, it appears the RNG is with me for a change: recall that Nila pylon I used to acquire a ChromatiCraft progression achievement? In the restarted world after I rolled back the updates there's a pylon there, too, but it's a Ruskea pylon. This has the property of removing all your hunger and giving you 100% saturation if you're blasted by it. So there goes the food problem, LOL. I need only trouble myself with it on expeditions.

It may be no screenshots will appear for a few days as I advance in Thaumcraft. Scanning,finding nodes, advancing research to the advanced node jar and capturing nodes. A boring grind nobody wants to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yay, ore tripling!!! And faster smelting without using up any fuel!
860_OreTripling.jpg
Well, tripling only of standard ores. Most GT ores the RotaryCraft grinder won't take. But it's good for iron, copper, gold, silver, tin, coal ores as well as GT's tetrahedrite and pyrite. Probably others, too. Also, the grinder makes more of many things - more sugar per cane, more bonemeal per bone and more petals per mystical flower. The latter doesn't make any sense, but I take it.

Also, the RNG continues to be with me. I decided to explore this hole...
860_FindShrine1.jpg
...jump into this pool...
860_FindShrine2.jpg
...and turn around:
860_FindShrine3.jpg

Not that I need it any time soon apart from the resources you can find here, but it's nice not having to worry about finding this elusive structure for the rest of the game.

There's still nothing impressive to see in my base, but man, the crapton of crap you collect in a pack of this size is insane:
860_Storage.jpg
ChromatiCraft alone already has two iron chests of its own, and from experience it'll expand to three diamond chests, not counting the drawers for mass resources. To be expected with so many items coming in 16-color variants, but....phew. I have a casting room, btw, and made Subterranean Illuminators (put down deep under ground, wait for a while, and find every cave illuminated in a rather large radius) and an ore-finding pickaxe - which can't find GregTech ores, grrr. Damn you, GregoriusT!

My cellar still looks quite unimpressive as well, though more mods are, of course, in evidence:
860_Cellar.jpg
Apart from GT, I'm now into RotaryCraft, ChromatiCraft, Thaumcraft and Witchery.

Witchery? Yes, there's a story there, since my innocuous attempt to make Goggles of Revealing sent me down a very deep rabbit hole. The leather in the recipe was replaced by Witchery's "impregnated leather". That meant I had to get deeply into Witchery, using five of its devices. Of course *that* meant I had to get Witchery plants, which meant I had to crossbreed them with AgriCraft down from the ground. As it turned out, Witchery plants are located far up the crossbreeding tree upwards from both all the regular plants and a handful of Botania plants. I'd have had to do this anyway on my way to breeding cinderpearl seeds, but this was an unexpected delay. Also, I had to hunt down a chicken, which is a decidedly non-trivial task in a pack that adds so many passive mobs. It took me one hour and one of my invaluable one-use safari nets I had found in a chest somewhere. All this is why I'm still not very far in Thaumcraft, though I did do all the research I wanted and got a greatwood wand.

There's also a bug in the pack: a basic Witchery component is "Foul Fume", which you need for poppets, dreamweavers and...impregnated leather. Foul Fume is made from smelting wood in a Witches Oven together with a clay jar, which makes a piece of (regular) coal and gets you a jar of Foul Fume as the byproduct. Only, smelting wood is disabled by GregTech, and nobody has detected the fact that this requires an exception here. I'll have to see if my scripting is up to a bugfix, for now I just cheated the fumes in. Without the Goggles, you can't get a silverwood wand since crafting that requires wearing a full set of Thaumaturge's clothing. I very much doubt that was intentional. nor that it was intentional to make the Goggles unobtainable.

Next order of business: make a jetpack. Exploring without being able to fly is just too dangerous in this pack. I really want to make a steam jetpack from Flaxbeard's Steam power, but Zinc ore is just too rare. I'll see if I can get to ChromatiCraft's transmutation flame any time soon, then I can make zinc ingots from other stuff in moderate quantities. That, of course, requires more exploring since I'll need more fragments and more progression. The alternative is the good old RotaryCraft Ethanol Jetpack - whose name is misleading, since it doesn't run on Ethanol but on jet fuel. I could make the jetpack now, but jet fuel resources are hard to come by. The mods in the pack give me ways out of this problem, though. Slimeballs, for instance, can be obtained from....putting Witchery quicklime (made from wood ash you acquire in substantial amounts by using the Witches Oven) through a distiller together with...Foul Fume. So there's the bug again, LOL.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Phew....that was one hell of a ChromatiCraft progression achievement to figure out. It was hard enough to figure out even that its missing was causing the problem, since it's only connected to a single fragment, not to other achievements, but as for solving it - let's just say there are some elements of Minecraft I always forget about. I'll now have a look into my regular world and see if it works there as well as in my test world, and then... I may be able to craft a transformation core. Hopefully. And make a transmutation flame. And make zinc with it. And make brass with the zinc. And made a steam jetpack from the brass. Because you know, I'm still in the steam age.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ieldra, silly question: what's your FPS usually like?

I started up the mod to check on your botania inquiry. I barely scraped together 35fps once I felt the world had finally settled down generating. I figured that boded ill for a later-game base with tons of machines.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Ieldra, silly question: what's your FPS usually like?

I started up the mod to check on your botania inquiry. I barely scraped together 35fps once I felt the world had finally settled down generating. I figured that boded ill for a later-game base with tons of machines.
I have 35-60 depending on where I am. My rainbow forest appears to be non-optimal, actually. The pack creator recommends having distributed facilities, but I wonder what that'll do should everything need to be chunkloaded.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have 35-60 depending on where I am. My rainbow forest appears to be non-optimal, actually. The pack creator recommends having distributed facilities, but I wonder what that'll do should everything need to be chunkloaded.
Nod, good to know. Regarding distribution, I did find it helped in Infitech2 even when facilities are chunkloaded. Hopefully you get a similar result if you go that route.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Nod, good to know. Regarding distribution, I did find it helped in Infitech2 even when facilities are chunkloaded. Hopefully you get a similar result if you go that route.
I have added Optifine in the version recommended by the pack creator. Now I have 50 fps where I had 35 before, with fast rendering activated. I haven't seen any detrimental effects from that so far.

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hi again. There's still not anything visually impressive to see in my base, but there was significant progress, some of which may be of interest.

For instance, this unassuming little flame is one of the most powerful devices in ChromatiCraft.
860_Tflame0.jpg

What it does? It's called a "transmutation flame", and it transmutes items. Similar to Thaumcraft, ChromatiCraft lore associates with every item one or more of its 16 color elements, and the transmutation flame takes in color elements from items you throw on it, and can give out most resource items if you feed it a seed item and it has the corresponding color elements stored. So.....ten stacks of cobblestone, six stacks of Zambarau Chroma berries, one stack of Tahara Chroma berries, right-click with a diamond as a seed, activate with the elemental manipulator...
860_Tflame2.jpg

...and poof! A stack of diamonds.
860_Tflame3.jpg

In order to not be completely overpowered, this item can't be automated. It takes in one item at a time, so you have to use the drop key and can't throw in complete stacks from your inventory. Still, with InventoryTweaks' autofill you're still quite fast by just holding down the drop key. Also, while you can't make alloys, you can make ingots of most elemental metals if you have a sample. Finally, and most importantly, you can make ChromatiCraft's own cave crystals. About 48 chroma berries of the relevant color element will give you one cave crystal. Chroma berries don't drop in such quantities? Pfft...they do, just use a sickle with Fortune III.

I think I mentioned I wanted to make an Exosuit from Flaxbeard's Steam Power. Here it is:
860_Exosuit.jpg

It turns out the suit is quite nice, and the jetpack upgrade does let you fly, but the horizontal movement is unsatisfactory, so it's good for thinks like not having to pillar-up every time you work on the walls of your house, and for getting hard-to-reach ores in ravines, but not so much for long-range exploration. So...I'll have to make a RotaryCraft jetpack, and the jet fuel it runs on. To that end, here's my first Ethanol-producing facility:
860_Ethanol.jpg

Making Ethanol in RotaryCraft is a comparably complex task to automate, especially hampered as I was by the lack of EnderIO conduits. However, it turns out item translocators are almost as good. Unlike in EnderIo, item and fluid translocators can't coexist in the same block space, but one output can share several inputs, so I had space for the heat lamps (from ChromatiCraft) that keep the Fermenters at their optimal temperatures. My friction heaters are still inefficient, unfortunately, for the lack of gearboxes and especially their lubricant, so the next order of business was farming.

Speaking of farming, my farm of ChromatiCraft flowers is doing quite well, due to the Resonant Ender under the grass (a less well-known fact in CrC I guess). This stuff generates in pools in Ender Forest biomes, and I have one just 300 metres to the NW. It's normally named "liquid ender", but if Thermal Foundation is present it's that mod's Resonant Ender.
860_ChromFlowerFarm.jpg

I'm going to need a lot of lubricant in not so long a time since I want to run hydrokinetic engines, so I started to explore how I could make my 10/10/10 canola plants grow even faster. Using Fertilized Dirt was a good start, then I looked in the Chromic Lexicon and found the "Fertility Bloom". The outcome of the tests was *very* satisfactory...
860_Fertility1.jpg

...so I decided to make more of the rather cheap fertility blooms to get this:
860_Fertility2.jpg
Note that I just planted the Cinderpearl seeds.

Another truly impressive result I found when I looked elsewhere. I had made an Inventory Warp, a ChromatiCraft item that teleports stuff I pick up, optionally filtered, into a linked inventory, so I didn't see what I had actually harvested when testing how long it would take my canola plants to grow to maturity again. Looking into that linked inventory, I found I had gotten this from 20 canola plants:
860_Fertility3.jpg
This was from 20 canola plants, and the plants took less than 30 seconds to regrow.

Also, I decided to test some ChromatiCraft tools to get away from the !"&$%$-GregTech toolmaking. The Excavation Star is excellent for dense GregTech veins:
860_ExcavationStar.jpg
This is an item that has a VeinMiner-like functionality, and uses ChromatiCraft lumen energy stored in you through your elemental manipulator, in miniscule amounts. Unfortunately, it can't mine stone so you'll still have to bring a tool to remove all that pesky stone. It turns out ChromatiCraft doesn't have a good tool for that purpose. The ore harvester is a sort of cheap and slow silk touch pickaxe, the multi-tool can break stone, dirt and wood at equal speed, but it has a low durability and doesn't take an efficiency enchantment. If Tinker's Construct is present, you can make extremely powerful tools from chromastone, but I'm very far from being able to make Chromastone, also it's a giant PITA to make it. I ended up making a Jade Pickaxe from Advent of Ascension. Jade ore is extremely rare - I had seven blocks of it and it can't be doubled before you have the crystal smeltery - but that pick has 4000 durability and can take many enchantments. With experience being available in infinite amounts from Zambarau crystals (which I can now make) and a Mending enchantment, that tool will probably last the game. While the stone-mining tools from ChromatiCraft were disappointing, the Subterranean Route Finder is a fantastic tool. Lost in caves? The route finder will reliably and without being obscure about it show you the way to the next block that can see the sky. If there are lava lakes in the way, that's your problem, but you will never get lost with this item, maybe with the exception of situations where your mining shaft collapsed behind you and there is no way to a block that can see the sky. I haven't tested that.

Finally, an odd observation:
860_ClimbingForest.jpg
Those chroma trees on the slope and up on the highland plateau weren't there when I started this game. It appears the trees spread. Maybe one day a rainbow tree will grow up there and transform the area into rainbow forest? That would be nice - I have the plan to build up here and turn this area into rainbow forest eventually anyway.

Next order of business: make jet fuel. Now that I can fly, albeit only the vertical movement is fast, I can visit some TiC slime islands and harvest some slime saplings, which will get me the other usually hard-to-get component for jet fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tianyulong

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Last six-ish images didn't seem to resolve properly just fyi Ieldra. Others look good. I sometimes regret not having checked out Chromaticraft.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Last six-ish images didn't seem to resolve properly just fyi Ieldra. Others look good. I sometimes regret not having checked out Chromaticraft.
I had noticed. Additional ".jpg"s in the filenames will do that. Fixed. And thanks. As for ChromatiCraft, I think it may be my favorite Minecraft mod. Tons of functionality, a strong aesthetic identity, a fascinating "tech tree" and design principles that appeal to me. The only thing that's missing is Microblock-compability. However, being among my favorites doesn't prevent me from cursing its opaque progression system at times.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
While I'm at it, I should mention two other progression-related bugs I've found in this pack:

(1) ReactorCraft lodestone can usually be made by crafting the "Magnetite Gems" coming out of the grinder or the extractor into lodestones. However, due to some auto-oredict conversion function implemented by an element of the pack I couldn't find out, you cannot do that crafting in this pack. Furthermore, if you manage to make lodestone in the only other way available in the pack - by using the IE crusher - any lodestone will be immediately converted into "magnetite gem" as soon as you pick it up. This locks you out of anything that requires ReactorCraft permanent magnets.

(2) Due to RotaryCraft aluminum powder being oredicted with other forms of aluminium dust, it is possible to make RotaryCraft's aluminum alloy without having run an Extractor. I guess most people won't even notice that this is a bug, but you normally acquire aluminum powder as a byproduct from running redstone ore through an Extractor.

The pack creator say that the pack opens up after you've reached the steam age in GregTech, but I guess ways through the pack that don't use GregTech as their primary progression path have been insufficiently tested.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I had noticed. Additional ".jpg"s in the filenames will do that. Fixed. And thanks. As for ChromatiCraft, I think it may be my favorite Minecraft mod. Tons of functionality, a strong aesthetic identity, a fascinating "tech tree" and design principles that appeal to me. The only thing that's missing is Microblock-compability. However, being among my favorites doesn't prevent me from cursing its opaque progression system at times.
I think this is the part that gets me, assuming I interpret you correctly: I see a lot of people asking how to do this and that, and it feels like either you need to stay on top of his forum thread to understand whats going on, or you're just an idiot for not being able to figure it out.

I think some of the "bugs" you're missing are worth pointing out to the pack dev as progression issues. Its easy to miss a ton of these when you're putting together a pack.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I think this is the part that gets me, assuming I interpret you correctly: I see a lot of people asking how to do this and that, and it feels like either you need to stay on top of his forum thread to understand whats going on, or you're just an idiot for not being able to figure it out.
Most of ChromatiCraft is pretty straightforward, but there are a few elements that contribute to people's difficulties:

(1a) ChromatiCraft tracks your casting experience, and the numbers are mostly hidden from you. New research levels let you unlock more fragments, but there are up to three possible general conditions that must be fulfilled in order to progress: you must have all fragments of the previous research level that apply in your game (some are dependent on other mods), some fragments require certain progression achievements (see below) and you must have crafted at least one item from the previous research level. So far so good, here's the annoying part though: apparently, not all crafted items count for the latter condition - I usually recommend going through the constructs tab, and there is also a general crafting experience number that will sometimes come into play, but not always. The result is that new research fragments often stay blank for players and they can't figure out what they need to do to change this. This is probably the most common complaint.
There is also a "general casting experience" number which was used to enable the yellow dots on the casting table to indicate you're experienced enough for the next casting structure level, but I suspect it was disabled at some point since IIRC all the dots were already present when I made my casting table in my current game.

(1b) Contributing to the same difficulty, the way progression achievements affect fragment acquisition is hidden. For instance, if you want to move on from the research level "energy and elements" to "charging", you need to acquire the fragment for focus crystals since that's part of "energy and elements" and you'll need all of the fragments therein. In order to do that, you must complete the progression achievement "Refractory Gems", but apart from the fact that what you have to do to complete it is not at all obvious, there is also nothing that indicates there is such a dependency. The dependency lines on the progression page only show you dependencies to other progression achievements. Now, as a discerning player you would, in fact, suspect that there may be progression achievements you need if there are any left in the top row, but some of those are needed early on, others only when you want to build a portal beacon late in the progression.

This can get rather frustrating. There are, in fact, things I never figured out on my own, and others I only figured out by looking into Reika's code, because there are things I just don't do - and rarely even think about doing - in my Minecraft games. One of the former is that you need to step into a pool of liquid chroma at some point for a progression achievement. Only a little later in the progression, there is a very good chance that you do that by accident, but at the point where you need it? Nope. One of the latter is the aforementioned "Refractory Gems". In hindsight, the visual hint provided by the progression page icon points you in the right direction, but I just know I would've never made the connection on my own.

(2) How you do things is also not always obvious. A part of this is that you absolutely must read the lexicon thoroughly - I've played CrC a few times and I still find information in it I didn't know - and many players don't do that. However, the lexicon rarely gives you a detailed user's guide for anything. For instance, it may tell you of the ingredients of a procedure, but not how exactly to use them. Sometimes it's obvious - what it means that lava and water have to be present for the Coalescence Orchid to make cobblestone should be pretty obvious - but at other times, not so much. One problem here is that players are different - what's obvious for some is obscure of others, and Reika's personal perception of what should be obvious is unavoidably a factor in the design.

(3) Some structures you need for progression are hard to find (though somewhat less so with the aura tracker Reika added at some point between v16 and v18), and the presence of others as well as some resources is affected by modpack design in ways that make things more difficult than they are designed to be. For instance, ocean temples (which you need to have found for the portal beacon) are supposed to be medium rare, in fact you shouldn't have a problem finding one once you can fly and have night vision, but in Revolution 3 they have been extremely rare to non-existent for some reason, likely caused by the RTG mod. Also, modpacks that affect the frequency of vanilla biomes can make things difficult since some CrC resources only appear in certain biomes. Lastly, it apparently is still not known widely that CrC is plainly incompatible with Biomes O'Plenty. Lazerous42 found a fancy way around that, but it introduces a mod dependency between Advanced Rocketry and ChromatiCraft that feels quite alien to me.

So... no, you aren't an idiot if you can't figure some things out. Some aspects of ChromatiCraft - some by design, some by accident - really are opaque enough that it depends on your playstyle whether they're easy or hard for you.

I think some of the "bugs" you're missing are worth pointing out to the pack dev as progression issues. Its easy to miss a ton of these when you're putting together a pack.
I had already done so for the Witches' Oven and Magnetite Gem problem. The stuff with the aluminum dust is a config option though, as I found out just now, so it's good I did not report that one. The magnetite gem problem - you don't think that's a bug? Locking you out of a significant part of a mod's content is unmistakably a bug IMO. Besides, were that change intentional it should be documented in the files Reika provided for that purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

I had already done so for the Witches' Oven and Magnetite Gem problem. The stuff with the aluminum dust is a config option though, as I found out just now, so it's good I did not report that one. The magnetite gem problem - you don't think that's a bug? Locking you out of a significant part of a mod's content is unmistakably a bug IMO. Besides, were that change intentional it should be documented in the files Reika provided for that purpose.

Good info on CC. I guess if it ever makes its way to post-1.7.10 I'll have to give it a try. Not sure I can make myself return now that I'm fully immersed in the newer versions.

No, I do think its bugs. My quotes around "bugs" are because usually "bugs" are code issues, but we're really talking about design issues are we not?
It sounds like what you're seeing is technically "unification" (since generally speaking "outputs" aren't oredict entries), although I've heard that oredict-out is sometimes a thing for some specific mods.

The solution in this case would be to either (somehow) fix that specific unification, or provide you a (minetweaker script) workaround so that you can hopefully convert something-into-gems without it simply unifying right back.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Good info on CC. I guess if it ever makes its way to post-1.7.10 I'll have to give it a try. Not sure I can make myself return now that I'm fully immersed in the newer versions.

No, I do think its bugs. My quotes around "bugs" are because usually "bugs" are code issues, but we're really talking about design issues are we not?
It sounds like what you're seeing is technically "unification" (since generally speaking "outputs" aren't oredict entries), although I've heard that oredict-out is sometimes a thing for some specific mods.

The solution in this case would be to either (somehow) fix that specific unification, or provide you a (minetweaker script) workaround so that you can hopefully convert something-into-gems without it simply unifying right back.
I'm thinking of adding a furnace recipe to smelt the gem into the lodestone. I can then pull it out and use it in ways that it never enters my player inventory. A bit awkward, but I can't identify the mod that does the auto-conversion. An auto-conversion into the lodestone would actually make sense. If I could identify the mod, I might be able to change it....

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm thinking of adding a furnace recipe to smelt the gem into the lodestone. I can then pull it out and use it in ways that it never enters my player inventory. A bit awkward, but I can't identify the mod that does the auto-conversion. An auto-conversion into the lodestone would actually make sense. If I could identify the mod, I might be able to change it....
Yeah that'll work. Have you already confirmed that the conversion happens auto-magically with items in your inventory? I ask because IC2 and/or GT does that particular bit of shenanigans ( I don't recall which, but its a thing). You could confirm by backing up your world, removing those mods, and seeing if it still happens.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah that'll work. Have you already confirmed that the conversion happens auto-magically with items in your inventory? I ask because IC2 and/or GT does that particular bit of shenanigans ( I don't recall which, but its a thing). You could confirm by backing up your world, removing those mods, and seeing if it still happens.

edit: Its GT I was thinking of. The interesting thing is that it totally has an explicit option to unify reactorcraft magnetite. But according to github its disabled by default in the pack. Can you check your side?
https://github.com/lazerous42/Ascen...ecraft/config/GregTech/Unification.cfg#L10201