Ars Magica Mod

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is probably not the right place to post this but ive checked out the Ars Magica Mod and it looks amazing. So i was thinking, what about Skyrim spells in Minecraft? Skyrim's spells in minecraft would be amazing along with Skyrim's mod Midas Magic's spells too. I know that Ars Magica's creater will probably never see this. This is just a thought tell me what you guy's think.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
We hate you for it, too.

In other news, this is the Ars Magica Mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...s-magica-an-advanced-magic-mod-for-minecraft/) for those like me who don't know what it is. Seems alright for the Magic World pack, but I don't think the FTB team is keen on adding new mods with world gen.

I added it to my copy of Magic pack awhile back and played for a bit. I think it's a fine mod, but simply won't play very well in a multi mod environment. The early game would become a cake walk with all the other mod powers available and would jump to the endgame. Ars Magica is definitely tiered in both power and access, and it would all get passed over. Plus it's in danger of becoming EE2 like in generating anything from literal thin air. Particularly with Soul Shard spawners, and the uncrafting table from twilight forest.

But that's all good, because the mod author specifically says "No mod packs" right in that message you linked.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Except that the FTB team is keen on adding Ars Magicka.

I don't frequent any avenues where these things are discussed, but the general vibe I got while everyone was yelling about RP2 was that the team wanted to get all the worldgen mods in so we wouldn't have to make new worlds or generate new chunks. Thus, "I don't think".

And Doctor0r, I looked for something about mod packs in that post but I only skimmed it. Good catch. (edit: Ha, I took another look at it when I was closing the tab and it's right there up top in big letters.. I'm blind).

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
That's.. that's not what I meant at all. Clearly you know what it is, but I had never heard of it and figured others might not have, either.

Iiamghostt

Jul 29, 2019
I added it to my copy of Magic pack awhile back and played for a bit. I think it's a fine mod, but simply won't play very well in a multi mod environment. The early game would become a cake walk with all the other mod powers available and would jump to the endgame. Ars Magica is definitely tiered in both power and access, and it would all get passed over. Plus it's in danger of becoming EE2 like in generating anything from literal thin air. Particularly with Soul Shard spawners, and the uncrafting table from twilight forest.

But that's all good, because the mod author specifically says "No mod packs" right in that message you linked.

He says no modpacks, UNLESS he decides otherwise. And since DW20 and him seem to communicate(DW20 did a spotlight of ar's magicka before it came out) chances are he may allow it into FTB.

Ralyks

Jul 29, 2019
Bu-bu-Bumping!

I've also seen the Ars Magicka mod as well and have been dying to try it out, but sadly it's just so darn incompatible with many great mods. The world generation that it adds is simply spectacular, the implementation of spells and the way that system works is top notch, and the polish of the mod is just fantastic. I've spent days...literally, entire days just trying to work different mod setups so that I can run it and some of my other favorites together, but sadly I can't get it in without taking something very significant out every time.

I did just recently get Minecraft to actually run and work with a somewhat tolerable loss of major mods, but then when trying to use certain mods the client would simply crash. I haz a sad nao.

If there is any way that the FTB team could include the Ars Magicka mod in the Ultimate pack I would be extremely happy. I don't care about balance, just about fun which is why I hated and then removed the Greg Tech mod from every pack that includes it. (Irrelevant, sorry)

So, while I'm not particularly interested in OP's request of Skyrim spells, I am however very interested in the addition of Ars Magicka to one or more of the FTB mod packs and would like to share with the FTB team my input about the mod.

TL : DR - PLEASE ADD ARS MAGICKA TO FTB!!!

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Mithion allowed Ars Magica to be included in Direwolf's pack and another one (doesn't mention which modpack, it might not be ftb even). Nothing else is mentioned in regards to modpacks, Mithion doesn't seem to be fond of modpacks. It's hard to add it to ftb right now since it has some EBXL incompatibilities, will probably be fixed with AM's next version.

So your best bet is to wait until it gets included in DW's pack.

Ralyks

Jul 29, 2019
Mithion allowed Ars Magica to be included in Direwolf's pack and another one (doesn't mention which modpack, it might not be ftb even). Nothing else is mentioned in regards to modpacks, Mithion doesn't seem to be fond of modpacks. It's hard to add it to ftb right now since it has some EBXL incompatibilities, will probably be fixed with AM's next version.

So your best bet is to wait until it gets included in DW's pack.

Hey, thx for the info. Yeah, I've been paying close attention to AM and read on his forum post that he would be working on that issue. It's comforting to know that AM does have a good chance to be added though. I'm currently using it and several other mods in my modpack, but I've had to remove Redpower and Thaumcraft, also a few others. I'm still having trouble with Forestry too and that sux because most of the backpacks aren't being added into the game. Forge tells me it couldn't add the block id to the game because it was null. (No idea what that means)

But anyways, thx again for the info.

Jul 29, 2019
Bu-bu-Bumping!
If there is any way that the FTB team could include the Ars Magicka mod in the Ultimate pack I would be extremely happy. I don't care about balance, just about fun which is why I hated and then removed the Greg Tech mod from every pack that includes it. (Irrelevant, sorry)

I hope it gets added regardless of balance as well (well, as long as it's not EE2 bad).

I think balance becomes a complicated topic when you're deciding whether to add or remove mods. Different people want different playstyles, for example I prefer an "easier" experience because I don't have so much time to play, so making the game "harder" (which just means "spend more time getting resources") means I don't get to enjoy my playtime as much, I figure "it's hard enough to accomplish things in real life." Others prefer the challenge and want the feeling of meaningful payoff, even if they're just artificially increasing the amount of time and effort it takes to make things.

Case in point: gregtech. I felt the same way as Ralyks about it, but others think it's too easy. There's even a config pack you can download which offers two versions, one to make the pack harder (add many nerfs in many mod config files), and one to make it easier (remove gregtech nerfs).

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing around with the mod recently. I don't think it's broken at all. You need to be extra careful when you start making items from stored Essentia, because that can end up with things blowing up if you don't have a way of dealing with the buildup of bad stuff. Which is expensive to do. To me, that's not really the focus of the mod, though.

The spells, THE SPELLS, man. Why use bonemeal ever again? Use Growth to grow all your crops, and it's tiered to work in multiple x/y squares in diminished, normal and augmented modes. Fighting becomes fun again, as you can shoot bolts of arcane energy, burn your enemy, shoot slashing wind, teleport mobs around, levitate them... Portal Gun? Nope, at least not for going back to your base, Mark & Recall got you covered. Instant teleportation, with a reasonable mana cost. Burning in lava in the Nether? Getting bashed by the Enderdragon or Enderman in the End? Two spells that teleport you back to your bed in case of emergency from those two dimensions. Pickaxe? Why? The Dig spell is amazing. It's a mining laser that works off of Mana instead of EU, so you don't need to carry a Lappack around. Speaking of which, Quantum Armor just got competition, because there are multiple Shield spells that grant you temporary invulnerability or damage reduction. Summoning Minions! Specially the Shadow, which is another You. No need to carry buckets anymore, because you can now summon water. And lava, too. You can also make them vanish with your mind.

And what's best? You can combine spells. You can combine effects to create your own spells, so it's basically unlimited options. The worldgen it adds is pretty nonintrusive, there's only one ore added, Vinteum Ore, and the structures that generate are beautiful and populate the ever boring landscape. And it's actually pretty balanced, in my opinion. It's actualy pretty hard to get levels past a certain point, because you actually need to spend your mage level in minecraft levels to advance another mage level, so it gets really, really hard after a while to level up again, even using automatic XP farms.