Are wolves useful?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
not really... more like as a pet... but i seen mods that improves dogs such as doggy talents etc etc...
*mentions something about better with mods... "cough" better than wolves "cough"*

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
In vanilla, wolves are used in some AFK mob farms

In some adventure maps, I have seen wolves used as combat help, but the wolves in those maps are boosted by the map maker.

In some UHC challanges, I've seen participants use wolves to give themselves an advantage over an opponent.

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Since 1.8, skeletons run away from wolves. That's a little improvement. But overall, they are still derpy, fall from high places, walk into lava, and sometimes teleport in front of the minecart you are riding. There is also a major flaw that if you have a mod with teleportation, like Journey map, and you use it, they do not teleport to you. So I personally take maximum 3 wolves with me when needed, otherwise they push each other from heights frequently.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
There should be a mod where players can tame wolves and breed a form of direwolf which is bigger and can be rode upon like a horse.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've been slow playing my new 1.10 test pack on a similar spirit to the Refugee to Regent Challenge. Due to the restrictions on tools, and thus armors, having a few dogs about is sometimes useful. I don't expect them to protect me from everything, so I'm still careful, but it speeds up leather and wool gathering before a true farm is established.

Moving on to the next stage will unlock tools that make them largely unnecessary, but I don't mind having one or two around as pets. As my settlement grows, I will place them in the streets as sentry backup in case of zombie infestation. After that, they will be mostly obsolete, I think, although I may take one along on spelunking trips.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
There needs a mod to put saddle bags on dogs.

I would prefer to bring a dog along instead of a mule when I go spelunking, or raiding a dungeon.