Are their benefits of using a server modpack....

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Lokymean

Jul 29, 2019
..over say grabbing vanilla and adding your own mods to it?
Are the mod packs optimized better to prevent "LAG" than a hodge-podge mix of mods on top of vanilla? Pardon me, I am a bit of a greeny noob here.

It just seems I cant find a pack with the mods I want and when I find something close, I cannot get the missing mods i want to add to work.

I basically want a pack for 1.5.x with:
  • most of the stuff in DW20, plus..
  • Galacticraft
  • Bees and more bees!
  • Applied Energistics
  • Industrial/BuildCraft
  • ChocoboCraft
So in short, I ask the simple question; what are the benefits of a mod pack over a fully customized mod selection? Aside from the issue of getting the exact mods to all of your players, what else is there?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
No benefits. It simply removes the hassle of having to build a modpack yourself, get all the configs and IDs working, change configs so that mods don't conflict, etc.

I would suggest merging large modpacks such as Unleashed or Resonant Rise and deleting the mods that you don't want. It requires the least hassle to do, and unused configs shouldn't be a problem.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on your level of expertise and of course your patience. But if you are savvy enough to use your own launcher and install mods without conflicts. The only real advantage to FTB is that the SMP player base is much bigger due to the homogenized packs making it simpler. In other words when a player wants to play on your server you don't have to give them Modlist with X amount of mods that they will have to DL and load themselves (unless you don't mind distributeing complete jar files...) you just say "this is a x FTB modpack DL the launcher and select it on the list and run it".

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Just saying in 1.5 Galacticraft and TiC have an inventory bug making the pair of them unusable and preventing you from crafting in the inventory, effectively halting the whole game after you get wood. In my personally modpack I choose TiC over Galacticraft because I wanted to make the game harder by removing vanilla tool crafting and installing IgunaTweaks to add a more tiered system to mining and I found myself slightly bored upon reaching the moon, space base was good fun though, I relocated everything over there. The bug is fixed in 1.6, here's hoping it's in the major packs.

cloudbyday90

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkerer's Construct

Tinker Construct is pretty cool early game, but I'd have a mining turtle within a couple of hours anyways. Galactacraft has more playability then Tinkers Construct in my opinion. The only thing that I'd be interested is using the smeletry instead of the grind stone.

Also, off topic. Send me a message of what exact mods you want to use. I can setup a custom FTB server "modpack. with those mods. Let me know if you are interested.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker Construct is pretty cool early game, but I'd have a mining turtle within a couple of hours anyways. Galactacraft has more playability then Tinkers Construct in my opinion. The only thing that I'd be interested is using the smeletry instead of the grind stone.

Also, off topic. Send me a message of what exact mods you want to use. I can setup a custom FTB server "modpack. with those mods. Let me know if you are interested.

IMO it has the best weapons and they're the most fun to use, but the reason I choose it over Galacticraft is because of it's options to up the difficulty by removing vanilla tools and if you install this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1953828-162152-iguana-tweaks-for-tinkers-construct/ it becomes really hard and actually really rewarding. I copied Magic Farm Balance from the Magic Farm modpack over to my personal one to replace vanilla tools in machines such as quarries and sawmills, have a look. However when I update to 1.6 I will be adding Galacticraft. Looking forward to the addition of Mars which isn't in 1.5. Also the smeltery is a lot of fun to play with and it is significantly better early game than the grind stone, my problem with it being, it can't smelt all other mod's ores, meaning early game I have both a grindstone and a smeltery.

cloudbyday90

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 1.6.2 "Modpack" The only thing that are missing is Thermal Expansion and Minefactory reloaded. I have both galacticraft and tinkers construct installed

cloudbyday90

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't talking about the bug. I was referring to the OP since you asked you needed helping adding those mods. Just trying to help, man.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
To answer the OP:

A Mod Pack is a pre-packaged mod list which has been tested and is guaranteed to work together without ID conflicts or other such hazards. Better mod packs even tweak config settings for greater cross-mod compatibility and synergy.

This also means everyone using the mod pack has identical ID's, and so getting everyone on the server without bugs is going to be very easy.

While there is some you can do to help reduce lag in a mod pack, there isn't a whole lot if you chose mods which are, themselves, very laggy. Unfortunately, you have picked some mods which are known to be plagued with lag issues, so there's really not much a mod pack can do to help with that.

Lokymean

Jul 29, 2019
To answer the OP:

A Mod Pack is a pre-packaged mod list which has been tested and is guaranteed to work together without ID conflicts or other such hazards. Better mod packs even tweak config settings for greater cross-mod compatibility and synergy.

This also means everyone using the mod pack has identical ID's, and so getting everyone on the server without bugs is going to be very easy.

While there is some you can do to help reduce lag in a mod pack, there isn't a whole lot if you chose mods which are, themselves, very laggy. Unfortunately, you have picked some mods which are known to be plagued with lag issues, so there's really not much a mod pack can do to help with that.

which modpacks, in specific of the ones I listed, are known lag beasts?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
which modpacks, in specific of the ones I listed, are known lag beasts?

Your biggest lag beast is going to be Twilight Forest. Unless you really love the Twilight Forest, I'd recomend just removing it. It's rather repetitive and can cause quite a bit of lag with all the leaf blocks.

All mods will cause some lag anyways especially once you get into large processing builds. I recomend using TE alot since it is very server friendly.

As far as making your own modpack, I personally just took the Unleashed pack and used the launcher to edit out things I didn't want and add some more stuff. It's a fairly simple process with very few ID Conflicts. I took out a large chunk of the mods and added quite a few more and only had 20 or so ID conflicts.

Reactions: PhantomRage

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
Your biggest lag beast is going to be Twilight Forest. Unless you really love the Twilight Forest, I'd recomend just removing it. It's rather repetitive and can cause quite a bit of lag with all the leaf blocks.

All mods will cause some lag anyways especially once you get into large processing builds. I recomend using TE alot since it is very server friendly.

As far as making your own modpack, I personally just took the Unleashed pack and used the launcher to edit out things I didn't want and add some more stuff. It's a fairly simple process with very few ID Conflicts. I took out a large chunk of the mods and added quite a few more and only had 20 or so ID conflicts.
Aqueous Accumulator sure beats many unreliable, lag-causing water BC pumps :)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Aqueous Accumulator sure beats many unreliable, lag-causing water BC pumps :)

Not so much the Aqueous Accumulator as it is how machines a power work. Conduits cause hardly any lag at all, and don't cause loops to top it off. Machines, even walls of machines, don't cause that much lag.

Reactions: PhantomRage