Are peat bogs only supposed to generate one layer?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Basalt is renewable, albeit slowly. Flowing lava next to a thermopile that is touching ice or snow has a chance to turn into basalt. The snow or ice has a chance to melt, so it must be replaced. Source lava would become obsidian.

Basalt generator.

Warpainter

Jul 29, 2019
Can't thank you guys enough for this discussion, it really informed me on how to improve my power system.

Currently I'm running 3 fermenters connected to 3 stills powering a maxed out LP Steam boiler. I'm powering these with 2 oak farms. 1 fermenter is only for apples/honey and mulch generation while the others are for saplings. I have then connected my steam boiler to pretty much everything + a redcube energy cell which powers all the machinery in my house, the exception being my EU system which uses a low power nuclear reactor (needs upgrading).

I haven't been able to find exactly how much power each forestry machine utilizes so a lot of it is just guesswork, but it works. I probably need another tree farm since my saplings disappear in less than a minute after input. Most importantly I want a way to automatically feed the fermenters with saplings but my great issue is figuring out how to extract oak saplings from the arbotoriums without disabling its ability to regenerate trees.

I have found an oil source about 200 blocks away from my steam boiler so I might switch to that soon

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
you can use a diamond pipe on top of the arboretum to preferentially insert saplings into it. just use stone/cobblestone pipe on the side of the logger, and a iron pipe on top of it set to only send items into the diamond pipe. very very compact to set up.

Warpainter

Jul 29, 2019
^ Right, so the idea is that once the arboretum fills up with saplings they will skip it and pass on to the fermenter?

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
^ Right, so the idea is that once the arboretum fills up with saplings they will skip it and pass on to the fermenter?
Yeah (I know because I essentially do the same thing and recently figured out that setup as well xD).

If you've still got any interest in Peat: A Peat Bog actually only clears a 6 high area with the bottom layer being for Bog Earth (so it leaves 5 layers empty). You can harvest 3 Peat farms with 1 Turbary, each Peat farm needs a 1 high space above it in order to operate (which means you can stack 3 farms in a 6 high area, which is the height of the area a Turbary harvests in).
It'll take extra resources to heat up a boiler, but after that I'm pretty sure 3 Peat farms can keep it going. Without extra resources the 3 Peat Farms can keep a large LP Boiler at 120-130 degrees though, more than enough to run several farms and machinery beside it (maybe not constantly, but I haven't been able to use more power than it produces so far and I'm now heating it up to max efficiency).

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Currently I'm running 3 fermenters connected to 3 stills powering a maxed out LP Steam boiler. I'm powering these with 2 oak farms. 1 fermenter is only for apples/honey and mulch generation while the others are for saplings. I have then connected my steam boiler to pretty much everything + a redcube energy cell which powers all the machinery in my house, the exception being my EU system which uses a low power nuclear reactor (needs upgrading).

I haven't been able to find exactly how much power each forestry machine utilizes so a lot of it is just guesswork, but it works. I probably need another tree farm since my saplings disappear in less than a minute after input. Most importantly I want a way to automatically feed the fermenters with saplings but my great issue is figuring out how to extract oak saplings from the arbotoriums without disabling its ability to regenerate trees.
One fermenter supplied with 16 MJ/t running on fertilizer can serve over 4 stills at 5 MJ/t each, given enough saplings. Math points to almost exactly 5 stills, but someone answered somewhere, that reality won't keep up perfectly with these numbers.
Let's assume 4.5 stills can be fed by one fermenter, then this one fermenter can keep 5 36 HP boilers running (if they are already on max temp).
One still needs 250 seconds for 3 buckets of biofuel, so 83.333 seconds per bucket.
One fully heated 36 HP boiler runs for 101.010101 seconds per bucket.
101.010101/83.3333 = 40/33 = 1.212121 (boilers server per still), so you need 5/(40/33) = 33/8 = 4+1/8 stills to serve 5 boilers.

A tree farm serving enough saplings to maximize a fermenter can without problems serve at last one another 36 HP via their logs (posted that design elsewhere). I assume, that you can even feed at least one other boiler with that, too (and having a bunch of charcoal as a byproduct).

Warpainter

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my. I may have to rethink my whole setup.

So let me get this straight. Assuming 100% input efficiency I can power 5 stills with 1 fermenter on 16 MJ/t. Meaning I'd have to hook it up with 2 industrial steam engines to have it run at max. With 2 tree farms I am nowhere near that kind of sapling production I imagine, since currently my 2 sapling fermenters at 4 MJ/t each eat up saplings far faster than I can produce them. I oddly enough never thought about a charcoal powered steam engine, for now I'm doing fine on just 1 though. Even just a 36 LP boiler can more than power my whole setup.

I have apparently also completely misunderstood the boilers max temp. My LP boiler so far has been floating between 200-300C and unless I spend all my time feeding saplings it'll probably never reach max. So what you are saying is that if I do reach max temp it would then require much less biofuel to actually keep it running?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
A 36 boiler at max temp uses 15.84 fuel units each tick with one bucket of biofuel being worth 32000 fuel units
Each bucket thus lasts 2020.2020... ticks or 101.0101... seconds.

Try switching to a good sized steves cart tree farm, which should give you a higher sapling yield. I posted a setup in another thread not long ago, just dig through my old posts, if you need some help with that. (It also contains a tutorial to feed another 36 HP boiler (solid fuelbox) with the logs from the farm.)

Warpainter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah (I know because I essentially do the same thing and recently figured out that setup as well xD).

If you've still got any interest in Peat: A Peat Bog actually only clears a 6 high area with the bottom layer being for Bog Earth (so it leaves 5 layers empty). You can harvest 3 Peat farms with 1 Turbary, each Peat farm needs a 1 high space above it in order to operate (which means you can stack 3 farms in a 6 high area, which is the height of the area a Turbary harvests in).
It'll take extra resources to heat up a boiler, but after that I'm pretty sure 3 Peat farms can keep it going. Without extra resources the 3 Peat Farms can keep a large LP Boiler at 120-130 degrees though, more than enough to run several farms and machinery beside it (maybe not constantly, but I haven't been able to use more power than it produces so far and I'm now heating it up to max efficiency).

Running 3 peat bogs off one turbary sounds awesome but since I now switched all my peat engines over to steam engines my peat is really stacking up. That and I currently barely produce enough mulch to power one peat bog. I really like forestry and while there obviously are a lot more efficient ways to power all your gizmos, forestry I find is the most fun. (apart from playing around with nuclear reactors).

I wish to eventually power a matter fabricator so I might start looking into moving over to an additional HP boiler powering two steam turbines, loads of steel but at least it'll run for 60 hours. I could use my current boiler to power a magma crucible and the new thermal generator for even more EU. So happy there are more options for MJ<->EU today :)

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Looking for a quick answer if anybody knows (wiki doesn't say).

A cactus harvester says it chops 6 high, but I've seen multi layer designs before.

How does that work exactly? using dirt or cobble to support the sand makes 7 layers,

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Harvester: Oh, I see a cactus block there. Now lets follow it down and up and total the height together. Is it three? Hurray, i'll chop the top of.

It doesn't matter if all three blocks are in the tolerated height, or only of them. (or was it: "or only the top of them").
The chopper starts Y-1 or Y-2 (don't remember off the top of my head, just check for yourself).

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
So it just needs to see any piece of the cactus.. Excellent :)
Why bother with Cactus harvester? cacti harvest themselves perfectly fine by themselves. use a vanilla setup where the topmost blocks breaks off automatically.
use water to feed all the cacti into a transposer/obsidian pipe. it's amazingly cheap to set up, and you can have as tall a cacti farm as you want.
autocraft into plantballs for fermenting to biomass efficiently.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
autocraft into plantballs for fermenting to biomass efficiently.
MindCrack v6 doesn't have a recipe for cactus->plantball, it's fermentable to biomass directly. Even if it would have a recipe similar to sugar cane (8 to 1) it would be a net loss of biomass, since 8 give 0.8 biomass, while one plantball only gives 0.4

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I've used vanilla before, wanted to try the mod version- that's why I'm playing FTB :)

Though the cactus harvester seems to only be capable of harvesting one layer, been testing at different heights. I think I will have to switch to the vanilla method. And yes, converting to biomass -> biofuel is the purpose of this factory!!

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
A vanilla cactus farm makes for a lot of loose blocks, potentially causing lag. The harvester drops them directly into a chest or pipe, far more server friendly.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I used the harvester once for sugar canes (back in FTB BETA A). There it hang one above the third height of the canes and could successfully harvest both that layer and another one above it. The harvester for canes and cacti is the same, they also both have a max height of three. Thus it should work for both types (if it hasn't changed functionality since 1.4.2).

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
My test wouldn't harvest the upper layer until the harvester was at the same level as the sand, but I'll try again.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
One fermenter supplied with 16 MJ/t running on fertilizer can serve over 4 stills at 5 MJ/t each, given enough saplings. Math points to almost exactly 5 stills, but someone answered somewhere, that reality won't keep up perfectly with these numbers.
Let's assume 4.5 stills can be fed by one fermenter, then this one fermenter can keep 5 36 HP boilers running (if they are already on max temp).
One still needs 250 seconds for 3 buckets of biofuel, so 83.333 seconds per bucket.
One fully heated 36 HP boiler runs for 101.010101 seconds per bucket.
101.010101/83.3333 = 40/33 = 1.212121 (boilers server per still), so you need 5/(40/33) = 33/8 = 4+1/8 stills to serve 5 boilers.

A tree farm serving enough saplings to maximize a fermenter can without problems serve at last one another 36 HP via their logs (posted that design elsewhere). I assume, that you can even feed at least one other boiler with that, too (and having a bunch of charcoal as a byproduct).
Just tested:
One max speed fermenter (using water, fertilizer and saplings) can keep 5 stills running with a very small reserve.
With the above number of 1.212121 boilers served per still you can now keep 6 36 HP boilers running (when they have reached 1000°C) with one fermenter (5*1.212121=6.060606).

Another idea to boost biomass output:
Normally the production of apples will be too low to only use apple juice instead of water. But with the following contraption you could boost production occasionally, so your saplings will last a bit longer.
Squeezer->Tank (small tower of BC Tanks). Cobblestone Pipe with Gate (IF tank full THEN redstone on), feeding into a RS Latch. Another Cobblestone Pipe with a Gate (If tank empty THEN redstone on) feeds into the other side of the RS Latch. Your Fermenter is filled via Liquiducts, one input is the BC Tank, the other an Aqueous Accumulator. The Latch output that is on when the Tank is full, deactivates the AqAcc and activates the suction of the Liquiduct on the BC Tank. The Liquiduct will run dry on water after a short while and juice will fill it instead. When the fermenter runs dry, the juice will start to pour in. When the Tank becomes empty, the suction will stop and the AqAcc will restart, filling the duct and the fermenter again with water, as soon as the juice has been used up. The cycle starts anew.

Another thing: 7 Industrial Steam Engines (the 8 MJ/t ones) can feed both the fermenter/still setup and also the fertilizer production (cobble pulverized to sand (has an exclusive pulverizer), crafted to sandstone, pulverized to sand and nitor, the nitor pulverized to saltpeter which is crafted with sand to fertilizer). This should produce a little bit more MJ than needed for the two, so the squeezer could maybe run on that overproduction.

All in all:
One Steve's Cart tree farm feeds 6 36 HP boilers with biofuel, at least one with the logs (most probably even two or more (untested)) and produces charcoal to boot. Net gain should be nicely over 1000 MJ/t. Now convert all this in magma crucibles to lava, burn it in GregTech thermal generators and watch your happy matterfab.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
My test wouldn't harvest the upper layer until the harvester was at the same level as the sand, but I'll try again.
Small error in my memory:
(from bottom to top)
sand - cactus - cactus - cactus (this will be harvested) - solid layer - sand and harvester - cactus - cactus - cactus (this will be harvested)