Arboretum...wont grow apple oak?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wifeisaggro

Jul 29, 2019
I recently made a succesful rubber tree farm using the arboretum/logger method, and am trying to do the same thing with apple oak. The problem is it lays down all the humus like its supposed to but then doesnt plant any apple oak sapplings even though the inventory is full? any suggestions?

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
The mod author has discontinued support for their previous iteration of automated farming blocks.

The new multi-block farm is their intended structure for use in automated farming. It also supports the new trees the author has introduced.

wifeisaggro

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your help!.... one last question, can these farms run underground without the sun as a light source?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Yes they can run where ever the old ones could, how every they require fertilizer to work which only comes from non-newable apatite.

Reactions: wifeisaggro

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
However, Apatite has simply massive veins near the surface of most MC worlds. They also drop like redstone or nikolite when mined(Multiple) and take awhile to use up inside of the farms. It's not truly THAT big a deal.

Reactions: wifeisaggro

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with apatite isn't that it's easy to run out, what people hate is that it CAN run out.
Sengir making this change to forestry was taking quite easily by many, thinking that try multifarms were great. They are, but non-renewable fertiliser that eventually requires maintenance, isn't what people want in an automated system, people want everything to be self-sustainable. That's why not many people seem to use oil, except from bees, because although one large spout can last you from early game to late, it will eventually run out, and require moving, and as it is non-remewable, doesn't scale well.
Previously, the answer was to use biofuel, which was 100% renewable, and one often spent ages establishing a system to ensure that there was enough sand... Water... Dirt... Etc to run forever, and always give power, without ever running out. This is now best done via MFR now, which AFAIk use considerably more power but don't need any non-renewable resources to run.
However this could all be easily solved by Binnie/MysteriousAges adding an Apatite bee - it's silly to have a bee for oil, and oil being renewable , yet biofuel not.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
There's already a bee that produces Biofuel though, the Refined Bee. Of course, it is a specialty product with a 4% chance per bee tick, so... Yeah. If you already got to that point, you're better off using just the Distilled Bee and refining the Oil into Fuel, which is better than Biofuel anyway. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to use an Apatite Bee to get Fertilizer to make Biofuel, if there's already a Bee that makes both Oil AND Biofuel. An Apatite Bee would also probably belong to the long line of bees that descend from Rocky Bees, and down that path lies madness. It's a tough branch to get into.

FivEven

Jul 29, 2019
I liked how I could design my own farms and use the Forestry combine/logger, etc. Now I'm stuck with a huge multi-block farm and few ways to make it look nice or utilize it in unique ways.

If you use GregTech, there is a way to get fertilizer. It involves ender pearls.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
An Apatite Bee would also probably belong to the long line of bees that descend from Rocky Bees, and down that path lies madness. It's a tough branch to get into.
Actually it (called Apatine) requires
Solum and Rural bee

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Apatine?
Judging by the use of solem, that's Thaumatic bees.
I'm glad this was added.
As to why you'd use it over the distilled bee?
I'm guessing (based off how long fertiliser lasts) that a single apiary bee of this kind could support multiple multifarms.
The fuel/biofuel bees feel cheaty to some people (not me directly however) and so they refrain from using them, also alvearys with frames housing just don't have the same feel as a huge farm complex.
And is that method of obtaining Nitrogen and Potassium via enderpearls dust and then to saltpetre to fertiliser even energy positive? It uses a lot of energy per fertiliser...

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
And is that method of obtaining Nitrogen and Potassium via enderpearls dust and then to saltpetre to fertiliser even energy positive? It uses a lot of energy per fertiliser...
Saltpeter regenerates in sand, so you don't have to use GT for it. Just place 3 layers of sand at the original spawn of it, for manual collection you can just make 2 wide (1 wide won't work) rows of sand and use wand of equal trade, just remember that sand needs clear view to the sky. I used quarry and filler to collect it automatically.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
That saltpetre spawner apparently has all the properties of bedrock, but is movable by grav/portal gun.

One could think of various ways to use that...