• Well, its going to be a hard time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there is a reasons why there are not that many water-based mods

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
F

FrozenBeat

Hello Everyone,

I´m FrozenBeat, 23 years old and I´m playing Minecraft for ages.
I played a lot of modpacks and I´m still wondering about one thing:

There are endless amounts of mods that alternate terrain, add new nature-stuff or machines. You can even do some magic und go into different dimentions.
But think about this -> you spawn on an island surrounded with a LOT of water. Water is something that only a few modcreators considered modding. It is such a huge unused area!

So I took in consideration to create a new modpack. But here is the problem, I have never done anything with Java and since I´m working fulltime I dont have enought time to learn it.

I don´t know if I´m allowed to do this here but: Is there anybody out there who would like to join me to create something, that doesn´t exist in Minecraft jet?

The textures are no problem at all, I can handle them.

To give you, modders, a little bit of an insight about what i want to achieve:

1. Seaplants: From being able to survive on an island, altough you dont have any wood or food, to rare lategame plants that can do various things (e.g. buffing, getting minerals, creating defences,...)

2. Sealife: This is one of the most importand parts, because at the moment the ocean is even worse than the desert. (Yeah no joking - way worse)

1. Animals (funktion like cows/sheep -> you can bread them)
    2. Two new races
  3. A new dimension: I will keep this one a secret ;)

4. New machines: using new mechanics (everything is in my head or on paper right now)

5. I even want to add some form of magic to this mod

6. And I have some more things, but I need to speak with the modder first if this is even possible.

Sooo, long story, final words:

If you are interested in teaming up with me to create something new and special, I would be more than happy to work with you.

I also created a little poll for everyone.

At last: Dear FTB, if I´m not allowed to ask something like this here, I´m sorry, but I thought this would be the best place to do so.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If this is a first-time mod, you are getting perhaps a bit too ambitious. This looks like a list for a mod pack with several aquatic-based mods, rather than a single mod.

You may also wish to look into a mod called Mariculture, because it does at least some of what you are talking about.

F

FrozenBeat

@ShneekeyTheLost

Thanks for the replay,

Well of course it is possible to split it up in several smaller mods, but thats nothing new. (Tinkers construct, Thaumcraft,...)
And i didnt say it would be easy.

Mariculture sure offers a lot, but there are still so many things that can be done/are missing (no offence, i love playing with it)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
@ShneekeyTheLost

Thanks for the replay,

Well of course it is possible to split it up in several smaller mods, but thats nothing new. (Tinkers construct, Thaumcraft,...)
And i didnt say it would be easy.

Mariculture sure offers a lot, but there are still so many things that can be done/are missing (no offence, i love playing with it)
I think, perhaps, you misunderstand. Allow me to clarify.

You aren't talking about a single mod, you are talking about multiple mods with very little in common other than the fact that they happen to be aquatic-based. An entire suite of mods, each one of them individually as involved as either Tinker's Construct OR Thaumcraft (which, by the way, are NOT examples of splitting something up into several mods).

Even the closest example I can come up with, the CoFH suite, doesn't really do the concept justice, because there you are looking at a number of infrastructure-based mods and a couple of tech mods (Thermal Expansion and Thermal Dynamics) which are based on them. If you were to take the CoFH Suite, then build another Thermal Thaumatagy mod which by itself is just as large, then another for the additional flora and fauna you want to create, and you are getting close to the level of work you are talking about. Which is maintained by a team of programmers all working together, all skilled in their relative fields, that do programming for a living. Not one guy, a team. And you're talking about a project that dwarfs it.

You are talking about a massive project. And, from the tone of your original post, you don't really intend to do any of the work yourself, you just want to toss off a couple of ideas and have the mod spring up out of the ground like a ring of toadstools. This is... simply not realistic, either in scope or in expectation or in execution. There is easy, there is difficult, there is brutal, then there is the request you are putting forth.

My suggestions to you:

First off, no one on these forums is going to want to do all the coding themselves on someone else's project. That would be as insulting as being asked by your boss to do a project, then bringing in someone else to do it for you while you sit around and drink coffee. You freely admit in the very first section of your post that you don't have enough time to devote to a project like this, and is basically asking someone else to do it for you. And I'm afraid that's simply not going to happen.

Second off, the scope of the project is absolutely massive. You need to narrow it down to give yourself a starting point. Railcraft started off as a small, simple mod. All it did was create new types of rails. Today, it's effectively a tech mod with its own machine tier structure, its own power generation (and invented using steam as a medium for power generation in Minecraft), and has expanded enormously in scope. So, start with something simple. Maybe a mod that adds in more aquatic flora and fauna, and maybe some other types of worldgen like coral and such. That alone is going to be a lot of work to produce, and a good starting point. You can work up from there over time. Worldgen is not too bad, many people's first mods tend to be 'make a new ore, then make a set of armor and tools made from this new ore' for that reason. Start there, teach yourself as you go along. Then add in the fauna, the aquatic plant life. That's not much more difficult than telling coral to grow on seabeds. So, say, Kelp growing up from the coral to the surface. Proceed from there.

I am not attempting to be derogatory here, I'm trying to present my explanation in a way which is less likely to be misinterpreted, perhaps 'blunt' would be appropriate. And to be brutally blunt, the impression your initial post gives is that of a person who is totally ignorant of the hundreds to thousands or even tens of thousands of work-hours involved in the project he is so blithely asking someone else to do for him for free. Don't expect many takers.

F

FrozenBeat

Hey there. I guess I should start, explaining things:

"You aren't talking about a single mod, you are talking about multiple mods with very little in common other than the fact that they happen to be aquatic-based."

1, "very little in common" I just didn´t want to talk about every single detail. They do have a lot in common.
2, I dont know a lot about modding, thats why I posted it here. I just need some other players/modders to talk to. It´s like I´m talking to a professionalist.

"First off, no one on these forums is going to want to do all the coding themselves on someone else's project."

It´s not going to be MY project, its ours. The creator of this mod is of course the modder, not me. I´m just the one, who gives ideas.
Its ok, if those ideas are not possible, but I need someone to argue with.

"Second off, the scope of the project is absolutely massive. You need to narrow it down to give yourself a starting point."

Of course, we need to start somewhere. Every mod, started smaller than they are nowadays.
You are absolutly right.

"And to be brutally blunt, the impression your initial post gives is that of a person who is totally ignorant of the hundreds to thousands or even tens of thousands of work-hours involved in the project he is so blithely asking someone else to do for him for free."

Brutal is the right word here. If this is really the impression it gives, I´m sorry. I know it´s a lot of work, thats why I don´t want to do it alone. Is this thought so wrong? And no he is not doing everything alone.
It´s just a hobby I want to share.

I appriciate your opinion and thank you for your honesty.
Btw.: english is not my native language. I apologice if some pronunciations arn´t accurate.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You aren't talking about a single mod, you are talking about multiple mods with very little in common other than the fact that they happen to be aquatic-based. An entire suite of mods, each one of them individually as involved as either Tinker's Construct OR Thaumcraft (which, by the way, are NOT examples of splitting something up into several mods).

Even the closest example I can come up with, the CoFH suite, doesn't really do the concept justice, because there you are looking at a number of infrastructure-based mods and a couple of tech mods (Thermal Expansion and Thermal Dynamics) which are based on them. If you were to take the CoFH Suite, then build another Thermal Thaumatagy mod which by itself is just as large, then another for the additional flora and fauna you want to create, and you are getting close to the level of work you are talking about. Which is maintained by a team of programmers all working together, all skilled in their relative fields, that do programming for a living. Not one guy, a team. And you're talking about a project that dwarfs it.
Project Red is a pretty solid example of a mod being split into a variety of different independent mods.

I know it´s a lot of work, thats why I don´t want to do it alone. Is this thought so wrong? And no he is not doing everything alone.
The thing is, the modder is the one that will be doing the majority of the work if you have no experience programming. If you want to truly share the workload, I suggest learning how to program and learning Java. That way it wouldn't simply be one developer and one person who gives ideas. Eventually, the amount of ideas you throw their way will create a massive backlog because people simply cannot develop things as quickly as people can come up with ideas on what to develop. Furthermore, if it is a single developer doing all of the "grunt work," they will inevitably become burnt out because it truly is a lot of work. I know this from experience.

I think that you should realize that, although your intentions seem well and it appears simply that you are unaware of the sheer amount of work that gets put into large mods, your seeming denial or rejection of the amount of work modders do can come off as rather insulting. I'm not personally insulted by it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume some people might.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hey there. I guess I should start, explaining things:

"You aren't talking about a single mod, you are talking about multiple mods with very little in common other than the fact that they happen to be aquatic-based."

1, "very little in common" I just didn´t want to talk about every single detail. They do have a lot in common.
2, I dont know a lot about modding, thats why I posted it here. I just need some other players/modders to talk to. It´s like I´m talking to a professionalist.
Again, I believe there is a misunderstanding. It isn't that these mods don't have the same theme, it is that they are, from a programming and mechanical perspective, very different. Setting up a magic mod is extremely different from setting up a tech mod, which is different from a worldgen mod, which is different from a mod which adds animals and their AI, which is different from adding new dimensions.

You have several unrelated things you are trying to tie together. The theme may seem the same, but they all require enormously different approaches, and there's very little code shared between them.

"First off, no one on these forums is going to want to do all the coding themselves on someone else's project."

It´s not going to be MY project, its ours. The creator of this mod is of course the modder, not me. I´m just the one, who gives ideas.
Its ok, if those ideas are not possible, but I need someone to argue with.
Okay, I think we need to stop right here, because I'm really wanting to know how you seem to think 'someone else does all the coding' is somehow an 'our project' thing. You are basically asking someone to fully develop a suite of mods, spending tens of thousands of man-hours on the project, and your proposed contribution is... a couple of ideas? Seriously? Do you not see the imbalance here?

"And to be brutally blunt, the impression your initial post gives is that of a person who is totally ignorant of the hundreds to thousands or even tens of thousands of work-hours involved in the project he is so blithely asking someone else to do for him for free."

Brutal is the right word here. If this is really the impression it gives, I´m sorry. I know it´s a lot of work, thats why I don´t want to do it alone. Is this thought so wrong? And no he is not doing everything alone.
Name one thing you are doing other than sharing ideas. You aren't 'sharing work', you are 'foisting all the work on someone else', which is wrong.

If he isn't doing everything alone, then what is it you are doing?

I appriciate your opinion and thank you for your honesty.
Btw.: english is not my native language. I apologice if some pronunciations arn´t accurate.
Perhaps it would be better to clarify what sort of work-hours you plan on putting into the project. You have clearly spelled out what you want someone else to do. Unfortunately, that seems to be 'everything'. If you are truly willing to contribute, perhaps you should share what you are willing to contribute on?

F

FrozenBeat

Ok, fine.

Thanks for the replys, but this leads into the abyss.
It wasn´t my intension to insult you, but man you take this personally. (It was just a question)
It seems it´s not possible to discribe my intentions to you.
Bevor I take this personally too, I´m going to stop this here and now.

To everyone out there who feels as insulted as Shneekey:

I just wanted to know if it is possible. Since I don´t know a lot about modding, I needed to start somewhere right?
Yes it was my intention to find a modder to help me, but not to do all the work alone. As I said bevor, I just need someone to talk to.
Although it was NOT my intention to hurt your feelings as modders, because i really appriciate your work.

@SatanicSanta

Thanks for your reply.

Peace. Scotty I´m done, beam me out of here.