Aquaeous Accumulator and Combustion Engines

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
This is in single player. Testing things out. On my new world lord and behold. I spawned my a oil Deposit, so
I have 4 Aquaeous and 4 CE running. As long as my base is using current I am fine. I was out clearing some stuff out around my base, so i wasn't using any power. Well my small power plant blew up. Is there something I can do to tell them when no current is being used to shut off?

TehAnder

Jul 29, 2019
Combustion engines are meant to always blow up at some point. Even with full water supply. I suggest switching to other engines or making a Redstone energy cell.

Reactions: Dravarden

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Combustion engines are meant to always blow up at some point. Even with full water supply. I suggest switching to other engines or making a Redstone energy cell.
This couldn't be further from the truth. As long as a combustion engine is filled with water, it will never blow up. And even a single aqueous accumulator can keep one filled up and running forever.

Reactions: RedBoss

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i wasn't near it when it blew I just heard it. So i assummed that was what it was. I will give it another try.

TehAnder

Jul 29, 2019
This couldn't be further from the truth. As long as a combustion engine is filled with water, it will never blow up. And even a single aqueous accumulator can keep one filled up and running forever.
I thought i read about this on some wiki or forum. Maybe you're right, haven't really tested it out myself. Though as far as i know CE are really dangerous and shouldn't be used to power basic machinery..

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Aqueous accumulator redstone motor won't hook up to them so how do you power them?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I thought i read about this on some wiki or forum. Maybe you're right, haven't really tested it out myself. Though as far as i know CE are really dangerous and shouldn't be used to power basic machinery..
I have been using combustion engines since forever and I never had one blow up, other than from my own error.

Aqueous accumulator redstone motor won't hook up to them so how do you power them?
I have no idea what this question says. What motor? You don't need to power an accumulator, it will generate water automatically - as long as you have two water blocks adjacent to it.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You don't need any sort of engine for aqueous accumulators- they generate water for free, and will even automatically output it into other machines (or combustion engines) or waterproof pipes. No wooden pipe required, even.

Note that they will generate water very slowly if you don't place two water source blocks adjacent to them. Its behaviour is modelled after vanilla water mechanics- if you use a bucket on a water source block that's between two other source blocks, it will automatically turn into another source block. The accumulator simply pretends that such a source block formed inside itself, and pumps it out.

EDIT: Ninja'd, I was replying to
BIBLO said:

Also, I've heard that one accumulator (with source blocks) should keep four combustion engines supplied with water. I haven't tested this myself, but I would recommend Liquiducts instead of waterproof pipes- Buildcraft can be buggy at times.

Reactions: RedBoss

Bavalos

Jul 29, 2019
Were you using golden conductive pipes? When there is no where for the energy to go, the power inside builds up and they blow up.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I need 5 AA to supply enough water to CE for them to stop at 4900° C. 4 AA are simply not enough.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
I need 5 AA to supply enough water to CE for them to stop at 4900° C. 4 AA are simply not enough.

How much engines do you have?

I can confirm that 1 accumulator can cool at least 3 combustion engines. I use liquiducts but golden waterproof pipes should work as well. But I already had engines blowing up because stone pipes couldn't distribute the water fast enough.

@OP:
For the energy overflow you could use a redstone energy cell with a bc gate next to it, that switches the engines on when the cell is empty or off when it's full. How exactly you do this depends on how much energy you produce vs. how much energy gets used, and if it gets used constantly or not.
I have the following setup: The (simple) gate is set to "give redstone signal when no energy", this redstone signal goes into a pulse former, that activates a state cell, which then powers my engines for the designated amount of time.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Did you put water source blocks adjacent to the accumulators? Each one needs two source blocks to function properly- and above/below, or on diagonals, doesn't count.

If that's not the problem, are you using more than 16 combustion engines? Other than lack of water sources, too many engines, or Buildcraft glitches, I can't imagine why you'd be running into problems.

If you are using a whole bunch of combustion engines, I'd recommend switching to a Steam Boiler. One accumulator (with water sources) should be more than enough to keep one of those filled with water.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i have it 4 acc like this
water acc water acc water acc water acc water
WP WP wP WP
GP Gp G P GP
CE CE Ce Ce

WP = wooden waterproof
GP = golden waterproof
CE = the engine

it won't let me post it like i want to. The things are in a line with a space between each one. with pocket of water on each side of acc,

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
Just do:
. . .E
W AQ W

(engine doesn't need to be on top of AQ, but two water blocks have to be on sides of AQ)

E - engine
W - water source block
AQ - Aqueous accumulator

In this pattern AQ generate 1000mB of water per second and transfers it directly to engine.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
You can skip the wooden waterproof pipes and replace them with golden. The accumulator outputs automatically, no need for the wooden pipe.

Or, as people have said, replace all the piping with liquiducts. If pipes are what you want then it may help to use a chunk-loading block to make sure that no part of your power production unloads. I've had happen in the past where my water supply unloaded, but the engine chunk didn't. Results were predictable and costly to fix. Now I rarely use CE and when I do I make sure both water and engine stay loaded.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
CE's stay at 4900°C as long as they have enough water. Unless they have an internal energy buildup. At 6000MJ (or thereabouts) they start to heat up again and no amount o water can save them from exploding. To ensure this doesn't happen - either turn them off with gates, or use redstone conduits, they dump the excess energy.

Also, don't connect combustion engines directly to REcells, a CE delivers more MJ on a push than the cell can handle and the energy will build up. Use conduits, they even out the energy across several ticks.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
thx for all the help guys. these gates which one should I use?
2013-02-10_121745_zpsefd2bf99.png

on a pipe touching your cell. And put a red pipe wire on the gate. Otherwise it won't work.