Applied Energistics Priorities Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JesseTL16

Jul 29, 2019
I know it can be done...But this is what i would like to do. I have looked around and i see stuff about priorities and storage busses and whatnot. but i cant put it all together in my desired layout.

I would like to keep a Larger Barrel full of cobble, that can be access by the system. and have the excess be send to packagers for compression.

the similar thing i want to do is to have a few barrels full of mob drops from my cursed earth farm but have the excess be sent to the Condenser for singularity production.

I just cant get the set up to work the way i want to and i know its something simple that i am missing.

Or if there is a better way to keep a certain amount of items on hand without them completely clogging my system.

JesseTL16

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for that, I have an idea on how to get things going.

Follow up question. i have my drives that are all kinds of jammed up with random items, i would like to set up the various drives with some order, but is there a way to preformat some drives, put them in the system, then take the jumbled drives and have them dump into the system where they are supposed to go?

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019

Follow up question. i have my drives that are all kinds of jammed up with random items, i would like to set up the various drives with some order, but is there a way to preformat some drives, put them in the system, then take the jumbled drives and have them dump into the system where they are supposed to go?
Yes yes, there is a block for that it's called "ME IO port". You can insert a drive into it and it will empty the drive to your ME system.

Reactions: JesseTL16

Runo

Jul 29, 2019

in addition to what the other guy said, a lot of people set up a few chests with storage buses. you go through your ME and pick up items that will never exceed a stack and put them in one of the chests, jack up the storage bus priority, and then press the partition (?) button on the storage bus. the storage bus filters will populate with the items in the chest on allow only mode. its a good way to save on drive space while still being able to access everything from the terminal.

Reactions: JesseTL16

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
in addition to what the other guy said, a lot of people set up a few chests with storage buses. you go through your ME and pick up items that will never exceed a stack and put them in one of the chests, jack up the storage bus priority, and then press the partition (?) button on the storage bus. the storage bus filters will populate with the items in the chest on allow only mode. its a good way to save on drive space while still being able to access everything from the terminal.
Is there a way to send unstackable items into a certain drive, even if I have to put it in a separate ME drive/chest? Because I keep all unstackable items in 1k drives, and put everything else in 4k drives, but I don't want stuff to get mixed up.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there a way to send unstackable items into a certain drive, even if I have to put it in a separate ME drive/chest? Because I keep all unstackable items in 1k drives, and put everything else in 4k drives, but I don't want stuff to get mixed up.
Format your drives. I prefer to format drives to hold 1 type of stackable item each. One disc for cobble, one disc for dirt etc. Have these discs at a higher priority. Then have a couple unformatted discs at a lower priority and everything that doesnt have a formatted disc will go to that one instead.

Reactions: kaovalin

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
Format your drives. I prefer to format drives to hold 1 type of stackable item each. One disc for cobble, one disc for dirt etc. Have these discs at a higher priority. Then have a couple unformatted discs at a lower priority and everything that doesnt have a formatted disc will go to that one instead.
You can set priority to discs? I thought only to ME chests and drives.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You can set priority to discs? I thought only to ME chests and drives.
Yeah, only drives/chests. Put the formatted discs in a drive with high priority. Put the unformatted discs in ME chests(for each overview of contents) with low priority.

I think I described it more in detail in the link I posted earlier.

JesseTL16

Jul 29, 2019
sorry i havent responded again, Thank you all so much for the tips, i finally got it all sorted out. a mix of formatted drives, and the MFR deep storage i now have a significantly more efficient AE system.

Much appreciated, beast feeders!

Phil__M

Jul 29, 2019
In addition to the tips provided by rhn, I also like to add some filing cabinets for things like mana beans, mystcraft pages, enchanting books, etc. Pop a storage bus on top and give it a high priority, then they'll be filed there rather than taking up your valuable AE disk space. Then I also sometimes add an advanced filing cabinet where all of the unstackable items go (armor, weapons, tools, the list is endless). This is similar in results to rhn's low priority chests, but just adds a bit more granularity.

Feodin

Jul 29, 2019
Wanted to thank you for putting together these guides, they were invaluable for setting up my AE system and keep everything organized. The way you've got the priority system working is brilliant! Random question about your latest guide, are you using the void chest as a kind of dump chest for random crap you end up with in your player inventory? Figured it'd be easier to just point the storage drives right at the trash can than having the extra step in the middle.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wanted to thank you for putting together these guides, they were invaluable for setting up my AE system and keep everything organized. The way you've got the priority system working is brilliant! Random question about your latest guide, are you using the void chest as a kind of dump chest for random crap you end up with in your player inventory? Figured it'd be easier to just point the storage drives right at the trash can than having the extra step in the middle.
Yes you could put the storage bus directly at the Trash Can and it would probably work fine for the influx from a quarry etc. But whenever you dumped large quantities of, lets say cobble into the network, it would choke the one slot in the trashcan and you would end up with cobble in the random storage ME chests. And since the ME network will prioritise a storage already containing the items over an empty one with higher priority it will continue to fill the ME chest up until it is completely full and clogs up everything. Therefore always have a large as possible chest as buffer on the item deletion setup.

Even with my favoured Obsidian chest(Diamond chest size) as buffer, I still have to be careful when for example emptying several upgraded forestry Miners/Diggers backpacks(each holding 45 stacks) including normal inventory into the network.

It is also important that you can empty the buffer chest fast enough. Shortly after I made the latest guide, my buffer chest filled up(single Itemduct couldn't keep up with quarry at 40MJ, treefarm leftovers etc). So have since added a second Itemduct to keep up. If you notice the old post I linked I also put a router on each of the recyclers to ensure high enough bandwidth.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
A great chest for overflow protection is a crystal chest sitting somewhere where you frequently are. This way when things begin to overflow you are made aware of it by the visual feedback provided by items being present in the chest thats normally empty.

I also use gold chests a lot for my random assortment of items. Each chest usually is for a single mod/function/project. My AE discs are always formatted with as few items as possible. Eventually I will transition to 90% AE instead of 40% like now.

I can't go 100% because AE doesnt respect shift+ctrl+click which is super important for me to be able to empty everything of a specific item from my inventory into the system. I have to have a chest that auto-empties into the system. Inadvertently a great way to "empty" into AE without the AE system being on. I like to keep it off as much as possible to be energy efficient.

Feodin

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh that makes sense. I hadn't run into that mass importing problem yet as my farm and quarry setups are still in a pre-ME network state. Like my farms are using itemducts into barrel's with storage monitors attached and the ducts have their own trash cans dealing with overflow. Same with my quarry, ducts into chests with a trash can filtering out all the crap dirt/gravel/stone I don't care about, then the chests having import buses pulling the good stuff in. I'll have to keep that in mind when I overhaul everything and convert to a pure ME network over the next couple of days. Thanks!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I can't go 100% because AE doesnt respect shift+ctrl+click which is super important for me to be able to empty everything of a specific item from my inventory into the system. I have to have a chest that auto-empties into the system. Inadvertently a great way to "empty" into AE without the AE system being on. I like to keep it off as much as possible to be energy efficient.
Yeah its a shame that AE doesn't support the NEI short cuts.
I use my enderchest/enderpouch for that. I have a Enderpouch of the same combination of the enderchest that I use for my quarries. That way I can dump items into the system from anywhere at any time.

I am looking forward to doing some automation with the Random Things "Player Interface" which allows you to automate things straight out of your inventory. Stuff like recharging Lappacks(gravisuite batteries that auto power your gear) automatically and refilling food.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah its a shame that AE doesn't support the NEI short cuts.
I use my enderchest/enderpouch for that. I have a Enderpouch of the same combination of the enderchest that I use for my quarries. That way I can dump items into the system from anywhere at any time.

I am looking forward to doing some automation with the Random Things "Player Interface" which allows you to automate things straight out of your inventory. Stuff like recharging Lappacks(gravisuite batteries that auto power your gear) automatically and refilling food.
True, AE doesn't support most of 'em... But that's not to say that there isn't a NEI Addon that supports a few the vitals.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I can't go 100% because AE doesnt respect shift+ctrl+click which is super important for me to be able to empty everything of a specific item from my inventory into the system.

Shift+ctrl+click...does that do the same thing as Shift+doubleclick?...because shift+doubleclick works fine (take all of one item in your inventory and puts it into system)