Applied Energistics - Multiple Wood Types

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

viralarchitect

Jul 29, 2019
I've checked over the FTB wiki and I tried Google for help but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm using the FTB Ultimate pack for Minecraft 1.4.7 and I have been using wood in some ME patterns, but I noticed that when I ran out of a certain type of wooden planks (jungle) while having ample amounts of another type of wooden planks (birch), the system was waiting for the exact type of planks that were in the pattern.

Would making different patterns for the same recipe and each different type of wood work? Or should I just pick a wood type and focus on keeping the system stocked with it? I apologize if this issue has already been addressed.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I think if you put multiple types of wood in a recipe, something happens. Don't quote me on that, I've never used AE.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
AE doesn't like to have multiple recipes for the same thing. The ME crafting interface does use the ore dictionary so it would be nice if the MAC did too. Maybe it does in one of the updates (I should know I have the second to latest version of AE but I haven't used the MACs much yet and I don't remember seeing anything in the Changelog). For now you are better off sticking to one type of wood for your pattern crafts and making sure that your supplies are well stocked of that wood. It makes sense to have the wood come in from a tree farm if you haven't set one up yet. Forestry and Steve's carts do tree farms and if you are on ultimate you can use Minefactory reloaded tree farms which are nice, relatively simple and are very productive (wood should never be a problem again if you keep it fed with power!).

viralarchitect

Jul 29, 2019
The main reason I asked is exactly because of the ore dictionary. I know copper is interchangeable in recipes, for example, but I didn't know if wooden planks were a part of that system. Then again, I haven't tried mixing metals in my AE system so I don't know. I'll have to test that and maybe update the wiki.

I do feel kinda stupid for having an ME crafting system now but no tree farms. I think I know what my next objective is. Thanks for the help.

Mathragh

Jul 29, 2019
I think the main problem with AE being able to use all kinds of planks is, that if you wanted to keep a certain type of plank for other purposes(like building structures), then ae wouldnt know, and hence also use the sort of planks you did not want it to use.

This problem cant really be solved since its a logic based problem, nog a programming one. Unless ae would allow multiple patterns for the same item, and simply use the first one it comes across(ie a pattern on the 1st page in the MAC will get chosen over a pattern on the 2nd page) I cant see this one being fixed.

Reactions: RedBoss

viralarchitect

Jul 29, 2019
That makes sense to me. For example, I like Birch wood for building, and I would think I want to use it exclusively for that. It's not just about wood, though, because that can be solved with a tree farm. If there was a more expensive, non-renewable ingredient that was a qualifier for an interchangable part of a recipe, you may end up using something you didn't intend to. An example is raw rubber is interchangeable with slime int he creation of sticky pistons. You may want to save that rubber for MineFactory Reloaded items instead of using in your pistons.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The main reason I asked is exactly because of the ore dictionary. I know copper is interchangeable in recipes, for example, but I didn't know if wooden planks were a part of that system. Then again, I haven't tried mixing metals in my AE system so I don't know. I'll have to test that and maybe update the wiki.

I do feel kinda stupid for having an ME crafting system now but no tree farms. I think I know what my next objective is. Thanks for the help.

Don't feel stupid for not building a tree farm. Sometimes you just pass things by and when you are having fun on a game that doesn't much matter.

That makes sense to me. For example, I like Birch wood for building, and I would think I want to use it exclusively for that. It's not just about wood, though, because that can be solved with a tree farm. If there was a more expensive, non-renewable ingredient that was a qualifier for an interchangable part of a recipe, you may end up using something you didn't intend to. An example is raw rubber is interchangeable with slime int he creation of sticky pistons. You may want to save that rubber for MineFactory Reloaded items instead of using in your pistons.

If you set up an MFR tree farm for rubber probably wont have to worry about not having enough rubber for making MFR or IC2 stuff. They produce a ton of rubber. You will probably have enough to make sticky pistons and every thing else. Also I am pretty sure that raw rubber doesn't register with slime in the ore dictionary so there will never be confusion for the MAC because it just wont be aware of the recipe full stop.

And I don't know if the 1.4.7 versions of MFR do this but the planter is able to plant up to nine different types of stuff at once (automating for that might be difficult but it is possible). Does your version of MFR have upgrades. If so I have a copper upgraded rubber and oak farm that will supply me just fine and you could do something similar and you should have enough wood and rubber for all your needs.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I HOPE AE doesn't auto-substitute based on the ore dictionary.

Although that would explain why my autarchic gates keep disappearing. I build 16 at a time, use one and come back looking for them later and there are none.

Fortunately, I am able to autocraft them with AE so that takes some of the sting out of it...

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Can't the lexicon be automated? Instead of making a bunch of different recipes for the same thing using different wood planks would it not be better just make the lexicon recipes and then allow the ME crafting to figure it out? Doesn't it go recursively and figure out how to make stuff?

Although now I wonder what happens if you make a recursive loop... I hope that it aborts after so many attempts.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the later versions of AE do support the ore dictionary and wooden planks are now part of the ore dictionary. You may want to set up the recipe with normal oak planks instead of jungle. I believe the latest version of AE for 1.4.7 is 9i. Ultimate for 1.4.7 was a few versions behind, so you will want to manually update.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using the 1.5.2 version of AE and you have NEI-Addons, you can get pattern cells loaded with the oredict version of recipes.

Otherwise the best way to do these is by hand in a crafting terminal. It will do the "right thing" there.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Encoded Patterns / Pattern Providers do not support the dictionary, and its not a bug or an oversight. Wood is a good example of why: You may want to switch to oak from jungle, but somebody else is going to be upset when their ebony wood all gets turned into sticks.

The only time items will be substituted via the ore dictionary is in a crafting terminal.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

Automatically craft gates with AE?

What???? How?

ME interfaces. I actually had to set up 3 tables because some recipes overlapped, it took some planning and trial/error. My lasers can reach all the tables it's kind of cool when they split the workload because the lasers cross each other.

2013-07-01_13.09.15.png

Click to see the recipe breakdown:
2013-07-01_13.09.40.png2013-07-01_13.09.54.png2013-07-01_13.10.06.png[DOUBLEPOST=1372699065][/DOUBLEPOST]
Use an ME Interface on the assembly table. Make the patterns and put it in the interface. AE will then now how to make gates.

You have to separate certain patterns, because the table WILL split the materials among ALL enabled recipes as opposed to just the one you want.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Encoded Patterns / Pattern Providers do not support the dictionary, and its not a bug or an oversight. Wood is a good example of why: You may want to switch to oak from jungle, but somebody else is going to be upset when their ebony wood all gets turned into sticks.

The only time items will be substituted via the ore dictionary is in a crafting terminal.

I'm pretty sure I have an oredict pattern for cobble. But I could ONLY enter it with NEI Addons. I can check later today.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I'm 90% sure my autocrafting is taking autarchic gates in place of basic electronic circuits. I know I ordered 16 autarchics then there were none, then I ordered another 16, when 11 were crafted I took one to use then went back and there were none. I was simultaneously crafting some MFSU, mass fabs and a few other things when this happened. I just went ahead and pre-made 256 basic electronic circuits as a buffer after that happened.

I really need to work on a system to keep certain levels of certain items in stock. I guess that'll be my next project!

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure I have an oredict pattern for cobble. But I could ONLY enter it with NEI Addons. I can check later today.

My experience is exactly opposite. For example, if I use plugins to create a pattern and it picks the wrong ore, the pattern never works. I then have to manually change the pattern with the correct ore, and it starts working.

This is also confirmed by a statement from Algo http://ae-mod.info/Tracker/0230/

AE will not attempt to craft items based on the ore dictionary, you should either use the same ingots / dusts thought the entire process, or do some sort of stocking system that keeps ingots ready to use using level emitters.