Applied Energistics <3 | Logistic pipes </3

Tjezee

Jul 29, 2019
Hi !

I would like to figure out from .. someone involved in the composition of FTB; like slowpoke obv. why
Logistic pipes is continued to be left out of the pack. And AE got added ' just like that '. Unless i'm missing some key
information here, like, LP breaks the pack or balance ( which imho it doesn't but you know.. ) i'm still not sure
why it has not been added. Now i'm aware that Krapht is the original creator and he abandoned it, now, another developer(s)
picked it up and improved it so so much. They have been working continuously, just like every other mod maker in the pack,
to improve, maintain and add to the mod. Now; if Krapht, for some reason, did decide to pick it back up, ( what Slowpoke mentioned they were waiting for ) it's gonna be lightyears behind the new version not to mention, right now, after all this time,
a big firm smack in the face of the new developers.

So; again, why does AE, that ' copied ' a good number of features from LP, and to some degree, the crafting idea from RP,
get added and LP after all this time, doesn't.

To make sure this topic stays on topic; this is no hate message towards AE, they/he still managed to code and polish it
which I, and many others, appreciate. I'm don't want to start a discussion on who could be better. I'm asking,
why has there been no love towards the developers that continued a brilliant idea which many people do use in there modpacks.

Greetings
~Tjezee

ps. If this has been discussed in another thread please direct me to it as I'm unable to find such a thread myself.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Simply put:

Krapht is currently rewriting LogisticPipes. This LogisticPipes 2 is what Slow wants to have in his packs. This is can ofc change and you guys will notice it then ;)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Simply put; that's a bit silly. The packs could easily have the LP being developed by the new people and then take it out when LP2 arrives. Then again there's no real guarantee that people won't prefer the current LP which, if anything, should give Krapht a reason to do his better.

But it's all really a moot point since you can add and remove mods as you like.

Reactions: Sakata

Tjezee

Jul 29, 2019
Well i'm very much aware you can add or remove a mod, it's what I do every update, i'm just trying to figure out the logic behind it since it has been proven, and by many confirmed, to be an excellent mod.
As for LP 2.0 by Krapht. It has been ages since LP 1.0, and from what i've researched, there isn't any indication LP 2.0 will be there any time soon. And this statement has been said many months ago by slowpoke too.
Isn't it time to give the spotlight to the people who kept LP alive and kicking? Or do what Hoff mentioned, atleast put them in the pack till LP 2.0 gets released because i'm guessing here... let that be clear, but he's been
' rewriting ' it for a good long while now so I don't see it happening any time soon.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Since Applied Energistics has pretty much replaced my previous automated crafting systems, my RP2 Sorting Machines, the massive wall of chests hooked up to the Sorting Machines, and streamlined my previously massive automated resource processing line (rendering other pipes and tubes rather useless). I have completely stopped using logistics pipes, pneumatic tubes (except for one or two remote applications outside of my base) and never even touch BuildCraft pipes anymore.

That being said... more options for the playerbase are always a good thing.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Oh and as an aside Krapht has already announced he will not be doing the same things the current LP are doing which means they'll be two different mods.

Tjezee

Jul 29, 2019
Could you link me to where Krapht is communicating with the people? I'd like to follow his progress then if at all possible.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
He merely announces it on twitter in passing. He doesn't really tell the public how far along he is.

Jul 29, 2019
I personally prefer Applied Energistics to Logistics Pipes. I think it's easier to use and causes less lag since items aren't rendered.

I would agree that the ideal solution is to have both in the pack, but if I could only pick one, I would choose AE.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Careful now; the current logistics has liquid logistics :p

Linrox

Jul 29, 2019
I think that because the current version LP is not updated by Kraft, that the FTB team will never install it as part of any pack, until Kraft releases LP2. Maybe they have something against the current updaters.
Don't get me wrong i lover both LP and AE i think they both are equally cool.
From the vids i have seen of the forgecraft server and the tweets i have read, as soon as Krafts version of LP was no longer current they dropped it like a hotcake. and not much has been spoken of why they don't use the current versions.
I was in the Direwolf TS a little while ago and asked them why LP wasn't used, they responded that they didn't even know LP was being updated by others (I've heard better excuses). I sent them several links to the current version and the permission request from the current authors to kraft and his response. They just went quiet.
So my guess is, 1. because it is not updated by Kraft and 2. out of loyalty for a friend.
At the end of the day what ever the true reason is, at least the users and server admins have both LP and AE to enjoy. It's just a real shame that the FTB team won't use it.
If i think about for too long, i even start to wonder if it's because there prejudice in some way. But i hope that's not the case.

Reactions: Tjezee

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
While I hesitate to bump a 33 day necro, Note that "Slow's Stream Pack" includes the new LP. Slow said in his stream while debuting it that he's spoken with Krapht, and they're fine with using it now. It's not being added to existing packs, because they're not going to make major changes to them at all, but he hinted it may be in the 1.5.1 pack. Also, you can add LP to Ultimate if you like by copying it from Slow's pack into the Ultimate pack, as long as you also copy the config. No conspiracy. Step away from the Tinfoil Hat.

Sakata

Jul 29, 2019
While I hesitate to bump a 33 day necro, Note that "Slow's Stream Pack" includes the new LP. Slow said in his stream while debuting it that he's spoken with Krapht, and they're fine with using it now. It's not being added to existing packs, because they're not going to make major changes to them at all, but he hinted it may be in the 1.5.1 pack. Also, you can add LP to Ultimate if you like by copying it from Slow's pack into the Ultimate pack, as long as you also copy the config. No conspiracy. Step away from the Tinfoil Hat.

So are you saying that RS-LP will be in FtB now? Because that... would be absolutely freakin' awesome. I've been keeping with the LP devs for a while now, even helped a bit by letting them use my obscenely slow server as a testbed for performance metrics. They are a really chill and cool group of guys, and excellent coders!

One of the reasons many people hated LP was that it lagged the game to hell and back. That isn't much of an issue anymore, thanks to the coders (Hey ArtForz, AartBlueStroke/Andy!) using the performance metrics they've gathered to streamline the mod so well that it uses LESS CPU than BuildCraft, IndustrialCraft, and several other mods itself -- which is saying quite a bit. This was tested on a network with thousands of nodes, hundreds if not thousands of blocks processed a second on my old as heck server, and it ran flawlessly! (Also learned that Factorization 'packagers' are EVIL on lag, they check the whole crafting database - for, each, pattern - every time)

The only thing that causes any amount of lag is placing new pipes (and I think they also addressed that), but with AE now doing all my storage (and soon crafting) and interfacing directly with LP via the ME Interface, that thousands of LP pipes has been reduced by a metric craptonne. That brings up another bit of greatness. AE and LP can seamlessly work together to give you the best of both worlds! Storage (and soon crafting) can be done inside AE's network, and anything AE can't handle, LP surely can, and so much better than the default BC pipes.

Hybrid autocrafting/processing FOR THE WIN!

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
So are you saying that RS-LP will be in FtB now? Because that... would be absolutely freakin' awesome.

What I'm saying is it's currently in 'FTB' right now, in Slow's Stream pack, and that it honors the configs used in Ultimate, so you can add it manually (I assume that would also be true for the other 1.4.7 packs as well, but I haven't tested it). Whether it will be included in future packs is unknowable, but based on Slow's comments, it won't be automatically excluded, as it was initially. That said, it does seem a bit redundant with AE, although, to be fair, I haven't played around much with the current iteration of LP.

Sakata

Jul 29, 2019
You really should give it a look. There are things that AE just can't do -- or do as well. This is why AlgorithmX2 made AE work so well with LP so far that LP can actually request items stored (and soon crafted) directly from AE with no need for tons of set-up.

Nyan

Jul 29, 2019
Example? Or a recent spotlight? Not doubting you, just trying to cure my ignorance =)
Just to name a few:
  • AE (last time I checked) lacks an interface capable of keeping an appliance stocked with a certain amount of certain items (e.g. keep 32 X and 16 Y in a chest at all times).
  • LP can be used to automate bee sorting and processing.
  • Using a remote requester + ender pouch you can access the whole LP network (crafting included) from any place, even from other dimensions.
  • LP pipes can use 'sneaky' upgrades - this way you can automate a massfab using just one pipe.
  • LP pipes can carry several modules, so in most cases you only need to connect one pipe to automate most devices.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Just to name a few:
  • AE (last time I checked) lacks an interface capable of keeping an appliance stocked with a certain amount of certain items (e.g. keep 32 X and 16 Y in a chest at all times).
  • LP can be used to automate bee sorting and processing.
  • Using a remote requester + ender pouch you can access the whole LP network (crafting included) from any place, even from other dimensions.
  • LP pipes can use 'sneaky' upgrades - this way you can automate a massfab using just one pipe.
  • LP pipes can carry several modules, so in most cases you only need to connect one pipe to automate most devices.
Ah, good stuff. Is this the version you're using?