Applied Energistics 2 Channels Rant. (Ftb Infinity)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kempeorlaxan

Jul 29, 2019
Ftb infinity pack question:

This started as a question but I went off on a rant....

Just planned out my base in such a way that I have main AE2 controller network in the middle and massive corridors where I will build separate complexes in rooms around those corridors that are specializing in Farms/Thaumcraft/Botania/Thermal Expansion/Ender IO/etc/etc/etc.

In my head it made sense because I would use interfaces to supply any materials I might need for automating those complexes.

All of this is located in the last millenium dimension. I have my storage in the overworld connected via quantum links.

Thing is - I was able to use interfaces on my processing subnetwork to supply the materials for the first set of processing machines from thermal expansion (Making obsidian, sand stone, glass, silicon, glass panes, stone bricks) But when I went 1 extra subnetwork further to make ender lily farm but my interface refused to supply anything from my storage network, despite connecting interface and storage bus correctly to my controller network.

The reason for this seems to be - farms were 3 networks away from storage network.

I expected to be able to create 1 new mini network per room to connect to secondary controller networks per complex - connected to the main controller network. (To maximise channel use). That way I could essentially use 1 controller network channel per base. But now it seems to be completely impossible and my base design is a bit ruined.

Sorry for the wall of text. Quick explanation here:

Storage ae network (interface works Crafting monitors work) ---> Next network (interface works Crafting monitors work) ---> 3rd network (Interface DOES NOT work, crafting monitors still work)..

My question is - Is there a way to use interfeaces located more than 2 networks away from storage network? Or do I have disable channels and just use AE2 in vanilla fashion if I want this?

Funny I can still access items in storage network no matter how many subnetworks I add from crafting monitors but not from interfaces.

The only alternative solution I can think off:

Create sub-storage network per complex. (The only problem apart from wasting extra resources - I can't use items from main network on that particular complex)

Overall this seems really over the top... It can be interesting... But the obvious culprit is - AE Channel system. I find that while AE2 channel system adds extra flavour - it seems to be overly complicated and requires too much micro-management. However I find myself reluctant to remove it - because I definitely like the flavour that it adds...

What I wish was possible is when you reach endgame - you get very expensive Me controller block that requires multiple singularities to make it and has infinite channels. To make it more balanced - you can't actually use cables to transfer channels from it - you have to use a memory card - and connect it to a new wireless receiver block that can transfer channels, but also requires nether star to make. That way you have a lot less wires in your base, and subnetworks are not actually subnetworks but extensions of main network. Because at the end game when you have infinite resources the only thing AE2 channels add is tedium and not flavour. So it makes sense that there is a solution to remove tedium in end game. Otherwise I am still doing same things at the end game as I did back when I just got my first magmatic dynamo. (lava energy generator from TE).

Another benefit of it also that it makes quantum link chamber unnecessary - because now you can use wireless blocks between dimensions. So it requires more resources but also saves resources in the long run (Exactly what you would expect from end game). And it doesn't completely eliminate channels, because while the wireless block is connected to main infinite me controller - the wireless block can only transfer 32 channels like normal me controller. So you need multiple blocks to transfer more channels...

However the main benefit - is that everything connected. And you don't need to micro manage multiple storage networks to keep your interfaces working....

Ok rant done...

Now I expect someone to come here and tell me: "All you had to do is put quartz cable on "here and there" and your third subnetwork's interface could be easily accessed." lol..!

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
If you insist...

All you had to do is put quartz cable on "here and there" and your third subnetwork's interface could be easily accessed.

Reactions: Kempeorlaxan

Kempeorlaxan

Jul 29, 2019
If you insist...

All you had to do is put quartz cable on "here and there" and your third subnetwork's interface could be easily accessed.

Sorry just another ae channels rant... I both like them and hate them at the same time...

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
No idea what you're attempting but from the explanation I don't think it's possible.

Easy solution, create a quantum bridge for each of your "corridors" and attach each to a dense cable coming off your controller, that'll give you 32 channels per corridor to play with

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
No idea what you're attempting but from the explanation I don't think it's possible.

Easy solution, create a quantum bridge for each of your "corridors" and attach each to a dense cable coming off your controller, that'll give you 32 channels per corridor to play with

^ that.

Usually I won't have more than one subnet per dimension for this exact reason ;)

Kempeorlaxan

Jul 29, 2019

It will have to be separate network channels for interfaces and separate ae network channels for storage monitors and level emitters. (it adds massive amounts of tedium to pull 2 separate ME wires in the same places and at the same time count the channels) Corridors are really big... I have 4-5 rooms per complex; 4-5 complexes per corridor. 32 channels won't be enough - which means I will need more space around my main controller network to supply those channels. Overall I find channel system to be a massive headache during endgame.

I think for now I will disable it.. Glad they finally added that option.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
32 channels should be fine for a main trunk route.

Especially if each channel is just running an end of a P2P tunnel that you've run another dense cable into. That gives you 1024 channels per trunk :)

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Your request with the Controller..
You should definitely tweet that to fireball!

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Praetor_Mooneth

Jul 29, 2019
Any of you lot used p2p tunnels? Sepertae networs for signal transfer while keeping everything on one network.

You can run 8 dense cables through one regular cable.

I'm sure a little bit of creative thinking will solve all your problems.

Kempeorlaxan

Jul 29, 2019
Yesh ... I couldn't do it... Tried playing without ae2 channels its just not fun!!! ahhaha... Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to optimize them

A

Austen Owen

Sorry just another ae channels rant... I both like them and hate them at the same time...
Currently half my devices are offline despite having more than enough free channels but it just won't give half my devices a channel...
I know how the channels work and stuff, so I ran a dense cable and then split it off into smart cables for every 8 things but it just won't power half my devices.