applied energestics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
am i the only one here that thinks applied energestics is one of the worst things that happened to modded minecraft? i know the mod itself is a good mod but it just kills any competition. its easier then any storage system, almost to easy. and its breaking me out to see all my items hidden in a couple of blocks... where are the good ol' complex barrel systems with giant rooms for barrels and staff. moreover this mod just encourage hoarding which it feels to me like the new goal of modded minecraft recently.
sorry for bad english

Reactions: Psychicash

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I personally think that AE2 is far more balanced now than its first iteration ever was. Plus, the barrel walls aren't gone because of AE; I'm running a fairly complex AE system and still have my normal barrel wall.

Basically, AE is what you make of it. Either store everything in a single block, or use it to make managing a barrel wall easier.

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think that AE2 is far more balanced now than its first iteration ever was. Plus, the barrel walls aren't gone because of AE; I'm running a fairly complex AE system and still have my normal barrel wall.

Basically, AE is what you make of it. Either store everything in a single block, or use it to make managing a barrel wall easier.
i think mods lost their true porpuse... its not to make the game easier, the game is easy enough. its to give more possibilities.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
i thinks mods lost their true porpuse... its not to make the game easier, the game is easy enough. its to give more possibilities.
For me the only purpose of mods is to max the fun of the game
And sometimes i like the competition in mods like ic2 or thaumcraft and sometimes i just want to play with fun
So as already said mods are what you make of It
Because Most mods have an easy Route and a Hard way of doing things they get you to choose

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
i think mods lost their true porpuse... its not to make the game easier, the game is easy enough. its to give more possibilities.

By the most basic definition a mod is simply either an extension of a game or changing some mechanics. The purpose of each mod is up to the author to determine.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
For me the only purpose of mods is to max the fun of the game
And sometimes i like the competition in mods like ic2 or thaumcraft and sometimes i just want to play with fun
So as already said mods are what you make of It
Because Most mods have an easy Route and a Hard way of doing things they get you to choose

off course its about fun
but you dont see great mods like ic2, factorization, forestry, railcraft and even buildcraft anymore.
mods that built the modding of minecraft.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
off course its about fun
but you dont see great mods like ic2, factorization, forestry, railcraft and even buildcraft anymore.

They're still around, they just don't fit every pack out there. Forestry for example is one mod that I absolutely love and add to every pack I play. Same with Railcraft, and adding that without Buildcraft just doesn't feel right.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
off course its about fun
Yes you do. The only pack I play without Buildcraft, in fact, is one I made for myself made up of mods that have Thermal Expansion-based recipes.

I love Buildcraft and its pipes; and its logic gates and pipe wires are absolutely incredible for automating things. It's a mod that you can start using on day one of a new world and keep using throughout the entire playthrough. To suggest that AE2 (which is a phenomenal mod in its own right, don't get me wrong) somehow outshines it or has killed it is doing a huge disservice to the devs who are doing a fantastic job adding new content to it while still staying true to its roots.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
off course its about fun
I did play ultimati so i know how awesome they are and how famous they were
But they didnt went with the time
All that mods did not change any Core Parts of their mods in the last years so they Fell off
With ic2 for me the Main reason of Not.using the mod anymore is because its not Worth the work

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
All that mods did not change any Core Parts of their mods in the last years so they Fell off
With ic2 for me the Main reason of Not.using the mod anymore is because its not Worth the work

Wait, the reason you don't use IC2 is it didn't change enough? That is definitely the first time I've heard that complaint about post-1.5 IC2.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

This is why I like AE. The storage and crafting options allow me to store and make the quantities of materials used in my builds. My current base is a multilevel complex that's about 22000 m^2. Which means I'd need to make about 9 double chests full of stacks of just my floor block.

No. I'd argue AE opens more options than it closes. Unless you want to live in a hovel.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
off course its about fun

All of these mods keep getting updates and new features. RailCraft is a bit slow and IC2 is a bit strange, but we're all still there! Stop pretending we all died in 1.2.5, as that's stupid.

Fashion is hopeless. I at BuildCraft stay with what makes the mod GOOD and FUN. I don't change things just to be different, if it's good it stays. Improvements over massive changes. IC2 did a massive change and you don't like it iether...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
AE kind of did obsolete the old sorting wall but to say it's the worst thing to happen to modded n
MC is rather hyperbolic.
They need to make storage busses more powerful.
Of course the solution to this problem is to make a pack that omits AE2. Can't say that such a pack would be popular but you could do it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
One of the most refreshing things when I started playing departed was the lack of AE or other tech. It really challenged me to create new (old :p) sorting systems

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I resort to ME storage once I start running out of wall space for more machines because the chests and barrels are getting in the way.

I have done playthroughs even on AE2 where i've done the good old fashioned barrel-wall thing with storage busses, that can be fun. But the tidiness of compacting everything into one block to free up more room for COLIN to work his tendrils into your machines cannot be overstated.

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
All of these mods keep getting updates and new features. RailCraft is a bit slow and IC2 is a bit strange, but we're all still there! Stop pretending we all died in 1.2.5, as that's stupid.

Fashion is hopeless. I at BuildCraft stay with what makes the mod GOOD and FUN. I don't change things just to be different, if it's good it stays. Improvements over massive changes. IC2 did a massive change and you don't like it iether...
sure, they still alive but why would you use them? buildcraft and railcraft replaced by extra utilities. factorization seem to not have a porpuse anymore and forestry was mowned by minefactory reloaded..

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
sure, they still alive but why would you use them? buildcraft and railcraft replaced by extra utilities. factorization seem to not have a porpuse anymore and forestry was mowned by minefactory reloaded..

In a sense.

But I still use BCs quarry and MFR doesn't have bees.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019

Buildcraft is kind of neat honestly. Add in logistics pipes and you have a really cool factory feel. Items zipping around the pipes make things kind of like those videos in the 50's with the booming voice over a film of factory floors with workers pounding away... "INDUSTRY!!!! AND TECHNOLOGY!!! These are the innovations..." That kind of thing.

Extra utilities is interesting and I find myself looking for different applications of it but I really don't like the transfer system. As for quarries... yes the ender quarry is less laggy but I honestly like the bc one better. The BC one at least you know where you've mined without having to put out extra markers. It doesn't take a 1000 ender pearls (exaggerating I know) to make. A few diamonds, a bit of gold, iron redstone... boom in like flint. That having been said early game I go straight for a computercraft quarry anyways but that's me. The ender quarry's upgrades remind me a super expensive quarry +. The pump can be nice a way for pumping the nether but I still, despite the lag (which honestly I think could be fixed...) like the pump extending down into the lava and filling the tank as the redstone engines pump away. The feel of it is less... alien tech and more industry which honestly is what I look for aesthetically in my mods anyways. It's why I like immersive engineering and flax's steamworks so much.

Factorization is, imo, one of the most under appreciated mods in the DW20 pack. The ore trippling mechanic is pretty material intensive so not early game. But it is very fun to make a whole building for it and automate it. I realize this goes against the mentality that seems to be rushing through of smaller more compact machines that do multiple things. Honestly even the mekanism 5x is a huge ordeal to setup. Anything past double and all you're really doing is increasing ore production for your entertainment. The little cable moving thing, which I don't use and why I don't know what it's called, is pretty neat. I've seen some people make some interesting logistical builds using it.

MFR, IMO, doesn't work as smoothly as forestry. The forestry farms and other machines were scrapped in favor of MFR for most people because it's easier. Honestly you can always get easier and easier. You could just play creative. MFR machines offer no creativity or customization in setting them up and honestly I haven't seen any build using them wasn't your standard multi or single plot farm planter/harvester or mob grinder spawner. The other MFR blocks are rarely used. The biofuel thing is more of novelty than really effective compared to other more compact alternatives. I know there's prob effective builds but most people don't bother with it. The breeder/chronotyper/slaughterhouse or grinder is one of the laggiest setups I've experienced. The rancher is pretty useful for ink farms but just as fast as the old vanilla farm. now as I get more and more into the mod blocks I realize that for the most part... people only really use the harvester/planter and deep storage unit. Yes some go a step further and use the laser miner and spawner/grinder but for the most part I see people moving away from that and going towards other mods and alternatives. Honestly if there was a deep storage alternative I wonder how many people would even use mfr anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think forestry was "owned" by MFR. I think MFR flipped the easy mode switch and I question if it isn't responsible for some of the increased lag I see on some of the servers I play on. But hey I try not to use MFR if I can help it. I'm one those Deep storage and only because there's no alternative I can see.