ANyone using the Magic World Pack? How is it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using the FTB beta pack, and enjoying myself immensely however I've noticed that as I do more and more, I get more and more instability issues. Just today, after starting some MystCraft exploration, my game has crashed about 6 times. Not enough to disuade me from trying again though... heh heh heh

Anyways, I was just curious if anyone using the Magic World pack had any feedback as to how it is? Stability wise, as well as entertainment wise?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Considering its core is Thaumcraft 3, it is very fun. Thaumcraft 3 just suffers from very limited content right now as Azanor chose to release it now since he had it functional rather than making everyone wait until all the currently planned content was done.

Stability-wise... I only ever seem to have issues when the game is trying to generate the huge tree biomes of Extra Biomes XL, but that's not specific to the Magic Pack.

Tesmetron

Jul 29, 2019
I have similar problems with the huge tree biomes in Extra Biomes XL. Several times now I have had crashes that seemed to be due to an excess of entities, and as they all happened in redwood forests and jungle biomes, I kind of think it might be because of all the saplings that get generated from the excess leaf blocks that appear with the big trees.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Since I normally follow down the tech trees, this is a brand new game. I've decided to explore thaumcraft and the twilight forest. I get a bunch of visual glitches (xray) when I near areas with lots and lots of leaf blocks. My render distance is set on far though. If I place on normal, most of my lag disappears, although it's a bit harder to take in the awesome views. I defragged my HDD last night, so hopefully that will help with the minecraft lag. (For the record, my computer is a laptop and about 6 years old, but with an nvidia graphics card, so it's passable.)

Forestry and railcraft are both installed, so there are lots of options for buildcraft energy production. Thermal expansion is going to be your ore processing option.

I haven't gotten to the goggles of revealing yet in my research, so once I get there, I'll see if aura exists in the twilight forest. If so, I'll move my base there. It's very pretty, and some of the hollowed out massive trees would be awesome to build a base.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm enjoying the Magic World pack even if, so far, I still prefer Thaumcraft 2 to 3-- but it should be noted that all I have really done is research and haven't made much at all. This is my first foray into 1.4, honestly.

I haven't gotten any crashes at all though sometimes I only see parts of zombies (usually fine, sometimes just their heads or heads and torsos) but that could he Soartex related, I guess.

I'm not sure if I like Extra Biomes or not. It sure is pretty but I've gone 1k blocks out from my home in every direction and haven't found a swamp for lily pads...

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note on TC3: I LOVE the boots of the traveler. Walking as if 1 block high were not there is just amazing.

Billa2720

Jul 29, 2019
I am enjoying Magic World/ So far the only change I made was to add in the Xycraft world generation so I can try out some of the new blocks. Without the IC2 armor and weapons I have to go back to enchanting, and this world has sheep EVERYWHERE but no cows, so no bookshelves. I may have to destroy a couple in a village to see if I can find some in another age, of try Twilight forest.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
In my current world, I'm settled in a Wasteland (hate rain, wasteland is the next best thing to a desert for that). I have a single cow and had to find loads of chicken eggs (about 1000 blocks away before I found any) to make a farm just so I could have some feathers. Once I had that made, I ended up getting a twilight forest portal and raided a Lich tower for books.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
yea, I'm having a hard time with cows myself. I found some about 1200 block away. didn't want to drag them all the way back. going to try a different direction and see if I can find some closer. I'm trying out some soul shards. I'm hoping to eventually make an enderman spawner, but it is going to take like 800 or so before I can actually use it o_O. I'll likely end up with a spider and skeleton spawner since I can find real ones in dungeons to save a bit of time, and arrows and string both have good uses. I did have a village near by, so I raided it for books. There aren't a lot of use for ender pearls without the other tech mods, so I'll probably give up on the spawner after I get a couple dozen ender pearls. I'll probably end up doing this again when FTB ultimate comes out. Soul shards work with the Angry Zombie (Thaumcraft brainy zombie)

I'm interested to try it with the little kobolds from Twilight forest. They drop gold nuggets.. :)

whyistheskyblue

Jul 29, 2019
does anyone know of a good texture pack for the modpack? also i dont have a problem with cows. i found a npc village stripped it bare traveled 200 blocks found a snow biome with loads of cows and a massive oil spill and setllted down there

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
does anyone know of a good texture pack for the modpack? also i dont have a problem with cows. i found a npc village stripped it bare traveled 200 blocks found a snow biome with loads of cows and a massive oil spill and setllted down there

I don't think there's any TP support specifically for that modpack, but you can use Sphax PureBDCraft or Vattic's Faithful and install all the available patches for the mods in the modpack.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
yea, I'm having a hard time with cows myself. I found some about 1200 block away. didn't want to drag them all the way back. going to try a different direction and see if I can find some closer. I'm trying out some soul shards. I'm hoping to eventually make an enderman spawner, but it is going to take like 800 or so before I can actually use it o_O. I'll likely end up with a spider and skeleton spawner since I can find real ones in dungeons to save a bit of time, and arrows and string both have good uses. I did have a village near by, so I raided it for books. There aren't a lot of use for ender pearls without the other tech mods, so I'll probably give up on the spawner after I get a couple dozen ender pearls. I'll probably end up doing this again when FTB ultimate comes out. Soul shards work with the Angry Zombie (Thaumcraft brainy zombie)

I'm interested to try it with the little kobolds from Twilight forest. They drop gold nuggets.. :)
Ender Pearls are kinda useful and needed in some of the mods. BC uses them for the autharcic gates and TC3 for the Alienis symbol. Pretty much the only thing that has it.

CFalzone

Jul 29, 2019
I am having a ton of fun playing with the magic pack. TC3 is really fun to just explore and discover all the stuff. I haven't had any issues crashing, but I haven't done much with Mystcraft yet. I ended up really lucky and I got Crystals at age 16 and was able to craft a stable world with Crystals on the second try.

Also, boots of the traveler and wand of excavation are so much fun to play with.

Plan on exploring Twilight Forest as I haven't played with it yet.

EDIT: I don't use any Texture Packs. And the only other mod I added was Treecapitator as I have chopped enough trees over the years that I've had enough of that.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Who needs cows when you have deer and Lich castles full of bookcases? :)

Twilight forest really goes well with the other magic mods, I'm keeping the overworld's aura more or less flux free and polluting the twilight forest, bwahaha. It's also proving useful for filling up soul shards with all the spawners. Thaumcraft 3 is a little limited at the minute and feels a bit blander than 2 I must say (no fear of taint to keep you on your toes), but I love the research system.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
I've really enjoyed playing the Magic World pack as well. The simple fact that IC2 is not included has made it a whole new game for me. I guess I've let myself get kin of stuck in IC2 and RP.