Anyone seen a mod that contains a pipe/tube like the pneumatic tube in RP?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes are fine and all - but I'm tired of the overflow issues, and pneumatic tubes were perfect for this. Since no one really knows what's going on with redpower, has anyone seen a mod that works like RP's tubes?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Just use AE sure it's a pain in the rear cause it's equipment you have to make are nonrenewable whatever but hey does ti wayy better and less laggy too. (you can't even get those darn quartz from UUm)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite, I've seen other transport options though.

My favorite at the moment are MFR conveyor belts, it's such a silly simple solution, kinda like pipes, but without the random turns and poping out. Much easier to work out than the seemingly random pipes, or the overcomplicated tubes.

Then there's infitubes. This solution needs power, but it's a remarkably strong sorting and routing system.

Let's not forget about extra utility nodes and pipes. They're based on vanilla hoppers. Work well, but they're painfully slow, they can to a certain degree do what both pipes and infitubes can, but without drops, overflows or explosions(infitubes can explode as well btw).

Oh and very soon people will probably tell you about applied energistics, which is not at all what you asked for, but it's close enough to be worth a mention. The system is very good, just extremely different from either pipes or tubes.

I'm sure to have missed some, but this is a good start :).

EDIT: and by very soon I meant it's gonna be the first things people will blurp out regardless of what you asked for.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Well cause there really nothing like it beside other solutions being cheaper and Renewable! AE isn't renewable and/or cheap..

wow

Jul 29, 2019
I really miss logistics pipes :(

Edit: First time I've searched for it since like April, AND THEYRE BACK :D Pretty sure it was in the old FTB. Probably the funnest mod for sorting imo.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Insertion pipes from TE.
they don't have item pipes the last time I checked the change log, I think your talking about the Additional Buildcraft Objects but again if they really exists in TE then how do they work?

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
they don't have item pipes the last time I checked the change log, I think your talking about the Additional Buildcraft Objects but again they they really exists in TE then how do they work?
Tin, hardened glass and a lapis block.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
So I looked over some of the replies - AE is definitely not what I'm looking for (looking for simple - like the pneumatic tubes were). Some of the other responses could work; but again - really want simple. :) It's mostly for hooking up our coke engines to our generators (without the overflow). I'd kill for pneumatic tubes to be 1.5.2.....

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
So I looked over some of the replies - AE is definitely not what I'm looking for (looking for simple - like the pneumatic tubes were). Some of the other responses could work; but again - really want simple. :) It's mostly for hooking up our coke engines to our generators (without the overflow). I'd kill for pneumatic tubes to be 1.5.2.....

Off the top of my head: Extra Utilities has a simple tubes system. Immibis Infinitubes is RP2 tubes on steroids. Buildcraft pipes with insertion pipes are now basically as good as tubes. Thaumcraft's golem mechanic is actually push-oriented tubes. In 1.5.*, hoppers give you a lot of power for short systems (enterprising vanilla players have built whole sorting systems with just hoppers, comparators and vanilla redstone). MineFactory Reloaded in its recent builds has really powerful conveyors, and their allow things stuck in their system to despawn and thusly never cause the server grief.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019

Pneumatic tubes simple??? First time I heard them called that.

Pneumatic tubes require special machines, some of which require special power and/or timers to function in a useful manner, and most of which were quite complex to use with buttons with no clear purpose but which drastically changed how they functioned. And the names of them were no help either. Only a few of them really told you what the item did, the rest were rote memorization. Then there was the routing.... Yeah you could set up a system to do almost anything you wanted, but God forbid you put a inventory in the wrong place, or forget to paint a tube. I used RP 2 tubes fairly frequently for months and I still often had to look up wiki's and LP's too maker them work right.

AE on the other hand is wickedly easy to use for most of the stuff tubes did for you. Plug controller into power, connect a terminal and a drive or chest, throw a storage cell in the drive/chest, and you have the basics ready to go. Connect an import bus to an ender chest and to that basic system and you have a fully implemented sorting system. Give me a stack each of quartz and quartz dust and a few other basic materials and I will have that system up and running before you have half of your RP sorting system placed starting with the final products in inventory.

After the basics are up and running it is all cables, import and export buses, and storage cells for a while, all of which are easy to understand and use. By the time you are ready for formal crafting you have the hang of it and it is easy to learn the crafting process.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: KirinDave

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019

Pneumatic tubes require special machines, some of which require special power and/or timers to function in a useful manner, and most of which were quite complex to use with buttons with no obvious purpose but which drastically changed how they functioned. And the names of them were no help either. Only a few of them really told you what the item did. The rest were rote memorization. Then there was the routing.... Yeah you could setup a system to do almost anything you wanted, but God forbid you put a inventory in the wrong place, or forget to paint a tube. I used RP 2 tubes fairly frequently for months and I still often had to look up wiki's and LP's too maker them work right.

AE on the other hand is wickedly easy to use for most of the stuff tubes did four you. Plug controller into power, connect a terminal and a drive or chest, throw a storage cell in the drive/chest, and you have the basics ready to go. Connect an import bus to an ender chest and you have a fully implemented sorting system already. After that it is all cables, import and export buses, and storage cells for a while, all of which are easy to understand and use. By the time you are ready for formal crafting you have the hang of it and it is easy to learn the crafting process.

But it isn't half as fun!

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
But it isn't half as fun!

I can't entirely argue there. It had its moments when it was great fun. However, we are talking about what to use in a world without it, and for most of what RP tubes did AE is way simpler and more effective.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure you're talking the tubes from Redpower? They were incredibly simple: All you needed was a transposer. It was brilliant and there was nothing complicated about it at all. We had turtles cutting wood; putting it in boxes; the boxes (with transposers attached) would send stuff to the coke ovens - which in turn had transposers to send stuff to boxes (for the coal coke) - which again, in turn sent coal coke to our generators. Because they were smart tubes; if one box (or generator, or whatever) was full; they would stop sending stuff. It was incredibly simple and easy to use. Didn't need any fancy equipment.

The stuff in AE may be more advanced, but it's overkill for what I wanted - that's why I'm not going to use it.

Now the stuff in extra utilities seems to fit my needs - but they seem to suck out everything (so if you're using one on a coke oven; they suck out the coal AND the coal coke. That sucks... :/) But, thus far, we've managed to use a combination of buildcraft pipes and chests - with the stuff from EU and, even tho it's a pain to use in combination, it seems to be fitting our needs.

kenlong

Jul 29, 2019
Now the stuff in extra utilities seems to fit my needs - but they seem to suck out everything (so if you're using one on a coke oven; they suck out the coal AND the coal coke. That sucks... :/) But, thus far, we've managed to use a combination of buildcraft pipes and chests - with the stuff from EU and, even tho it's a pain to use in combination, it seems to be fitting our needs.

extra utilities 0.2.3a has filters you can put on a transfer node to only pull out specific items.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure you're talking the tubes from Redpower? They were incredibly simple: All you needed was a transposer. It was brilliant and there was nothing complicated about it at all. We had turtles cutting wood; putting it in boxes; the boxes (with transposers attached) would send stuff to the coke ovens - which in turn had transposers to send stuff to boxes (for the coal coke) - which again, in turn sent coal coke to our generators. Because they were smart tubes; if one box (or generator, or whatever) was full; they would stop sending stuff. It was incredibly simple and easy to use. Didn't need any fancy equipment.

The stuff in AE may be more advanced, but it's overkill for what I wanted - that's why I'm not going to use it.

You didn't originally describe what you wanted this for, so it was hard to judge. Overall AE is WAY easier to use, but yes, it is more complicated for very small things if that is all you need to use it for in that one single location. However, if you commit to it, or if you have more than a few things to do in one area, then it is still way better. For instance...

AE with controller, a single chest, some cables and a few import and export bus's. Turtle puts wood in box, AE pulls it out and stores it. Coke oven needs wood, AE inserts it from storage. Coke oven produces coal coke, AE pulls it out and stores it. Generator needs coal coke, AE inserts it from storage. This costs more total "value" in resource, but it is still easy to build and is more effective overall as you can view everything in the system from one location and easily tell if you are over or under producing anything. Also if you need some wood for something else, you can grab it straight from the chest. In addition, if you just connect it to your main AE system you don't need the separate controller or chest, and you can monitor it from your home instead of from wherever the work is being done.

All that being said, do what you like, I don't care that much, I just think you are missing out by not giving AE a serious try.[DOUBLEPOST=1371002797][/DOUBLEPOST]
Extra Utilities is awesome.
Period.

With so many vocal fans, I think I am going to try out Extra Utilities soon. I need to see what is so cool about it.