Any way to know what mods add what ores?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Like, is there a list somewhere?

I really like the Mining side of Minecraft and to me the extra ores is just a lot more fun for mining, I really like the extra variety outside the few regular ores and tons of stone/dirt/ gravel. :p

Problem being, I don't have what you'd call a "high end PC" so i want to disable a few mods, I'm just not sure which to disable, because it may get rid of a bunch of ores.

Plus with Forge mods nowdays, two or more mods will add the same ores, while others can use, but don't add the ores ores from other mods, so I can't really tell what is from where! xD
I don't really want to have a mod I'm not using that much, when I can just leave another mod I use more that will "keep" the ores, or disable another one and find out its the only one with some ore(s) I like, you know?

Sorry, I know its a bit weird, but still, I just really like custom ores, one of the few things that actually adds to exploration, kinda like custom mob, animal and/or villager mods.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft, Thermal Expansion, Thaumcraft, Redpower, and GregTech are the ones that add ores in the Mindcrack and Direwolf packs, though not all the mods are in both packs. Traincraft adds Oil Sand and Crude Oil ore to the world, but those are not necessary to make use of the mod and are not used for anything but Traincraft.

Due to the way Xycraft's ores are rendered, removing it might actually get you a performance increase.

Reactions: Yuka

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well for a lot of the ores (copper, tin, silver, lead, and some alterations to the vanilla spawns) the pack uses thermal expansions config and disables other generation of ores from mods like IC2, forestry, and some of redpowers (it still generates sapphires and rubies). Gregtech also adds some biome specific ores like bauxite and ores to the nether and End. Xycraft also adds it's own world gen (quartz crystal and the xychorium ores) and that is pretty much it's only use atm since they are still working on the 'tech' stuff for the mod. Thaumcraft also adds ores to the world in the form of shards which are brightly lit cracked stone and also amber infused stone. Traincraft adds the oil sands and crude oil specific to it. The modular force field system also adds monazit ore.

Thermal expansion, Redpower 2, Gregtech, Xycraft, Thaumcraft, Traincraft, MFFS are the mods that add ores to the world that I can recall with buildcraft also adding oil geysers to the world

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The blocks are treated as transparent or such, which causes the game to render all the blocks around them as well even if they are not otherwise exposed. Normally Minecraft only renders blocks open to air and actually transparent blocks.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see, so it renders caves and such, but nothing in-between walls, and if a transparent block is completely surrounded by others, it'll render the 4 blocks around it even if in its nowhere near a cave or the surface?
I guess that makes sense.

Shame, I really like Xycraft.
Tho maybe I could probably allow Minecraft to use a bit more Ram, my computer has 6GB I believe, so giving it 1.5/ 2 may not be a big deal, that should help right?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
More RAM tends to help, definitely. The question is how much. Always worth trying.

Xycraft isn't the only taxing mod, it's just the most taxing where ores are concerned. Extra Biomes XL with its huge trees are a worse performance issue in my experience. Much worse. Doesn't help that I can't find anything in the config to turn off the colossal oaks which don't appear to be restricted to a biome. Sure, the Twilight Oaks are taller, but the Extra Biomes oaks have even more leaves and cast a much wider shadow. The light updates alon-I need to stop ranting.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried using the mod Optifine? It has the potential to really help with the FPS issues and overall performance.

Also with optifine you have more options to turn things off and lessen the amount of resources they use, things like setting the grass from default to "fast", it adds a ton of new "clickies" for you to adjust cpu, ram usage.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
More RAM tends to help, definitely. The question is how much. Always worth trying.

60% of the time, it works everytime. Hahahah your wording reminded me of this..

But yeah too much RAM allocated can end up slowing it down as well as it waits until all the allotted RAM is used before it dumps it which can cause lag and such. As SilvasRuin said, find what suits your computer best.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019

Xycraft isn't the only taxing mod, it's just the most taxing where ores are concerned. Extra Biomes XL with its huge trees are a worse performance issue in my experience. Much worse. Doesn't help that I can't find anything in the config to turn off the colossal oaks which don't appear to be restricted to a biome. Sure, the Twilight Oaks are taller, but the Extra Biomes oaks have even more leaves and cast a much wider shadow. The light updates alon-I need to stop ranting.

Ah yes, I've noticed Extra Biomes' Redwood forests tend to lag a bit, doesn't help they seem to place them almost everywhere, I went and disabled most of the biomes they spawn in (only left the one where they spawn "scattered") and most of its snow biomes, its a bit ridiculous how many there were and how often they appeared.

Guessing the Colossal Oaks are the big trees that seem to have other trees on top of other trees on top of other trees. :p
Yes, wish i could disable them as well, if it wasn't for the nice new landscape and some good new blocks, I would have disabled EBXL it long ago.

Oh and don't worry about ranting, the more info the better! xD

Have you tried using the mod Optifine? It has the potential to really help with the FPS issues and overall performance.

Also with optifine you have more options to turn things off and lessen the amount of resources they use, things like setting the grass from default to "fast", it adds a ton of new "clickies" for you to adjust cpu, ram usage.

I have been thinking of doing this for a while, I've seen it has something like "Light," "Standard" and "Ultra" versions, which would you recomend?

60% of the time, it works everytime. Hahahah your wording reminded me of this..

But yeah too much RAM allocated can end up slowing it down as well as it waits until all the allotted RAM is used before it dumps it which can cause lag and such. As SilvasRuin said, find what suits your computer best.

I kinda imagined giving it too much ram may be a bad idea, that's why i hadn't really messed with it before.
I'll increase it by bits, see how much I actually need, and not over-shoot it.

Thank you all for your help so far, nicest and most helpful MC community by far. ^^

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
There are a couple of different versions, using the launcher makes it very easy to add and remove them, unlike before where you basically had to rebuild your jar each time.

I would recommend trying each one starting with the basic or Light I think it is, see how things perform. Each version will work a little different on select Pc's, so the one that works well for me might not for you. Personally I am using the ultra I like having all the options available to me. The multi core aspect is excellent for loading chunks and whatnot.

But the general consensus on Optifine is that it is a 99% positive response in regard to additional performance.