Any possibility for a generic tool to migrate from one modpack to another?

EricBuist

Well you could spend days, even weeks toiling to get the old ids to match up with the new. Spend days more trying to get weird quirks in new mods to work. Spend another few days tweaking configs to match up to your old expectations for how mods work.

OR you could spend a week rebuilding from scratch in a new world having fun that whole time. I make my own custom packs for my private server. I ALWAYS do a world reset between major updates. Just not worth the time/effort/frustration. Even when it can be done, its not really what you wanted in the end.

There is absolutely no fun spending hours and hours and hours in caves to grab only a couple of ores, and have to do it again, again, again, get killed by zombies, skelettons and creepers you don't have time to see before it's too late, until you finally get enough redstones and diamonds to build a mining turtle and let it go. Yes, I could avoid all this by just not use any mod requiring metal, but I would be pretty limited to vanilla game, spending time choping wood, harvesting wheat and breeding animals. Yes, I could play in creative mode, but then there is not the fun of crafting anything; you just pick blocks and build static buildings without any mechanics.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
There is absolutely no fun spending hours and hours and hours in caves to grab only a couple of ores, and have to do it again, again, again, get killed by zombies, skelettons and creepers you don't have time to see before it's too late, until you finally get enough redstones and diamonds to build a mining turtle and let it go. Yes, I could avoid all this by just not use any mod requiring metal, but I would be pretty limited to vanilla game, spending time choping wood, harvesting wheat and breeding animals. Yes, I could play in creative mode, but then there is not the fun of crafting anything; you just pick blocks and build static buildings without any mechanics.
That's why I suggest you go into creative mode and give yourself the stuff you want. Also, there's no need to go into caves. Just dig to Y=12 and start branch mining. If you meet a cave (which tends to have monsters) just turn a different direction. I easily net enough diamonds and materials to set up sorting system, ore doubling, and quarry within 3 hours at most.

EricBuist

Well, that is because it is Vanilla MC to Vanilla MC and not between two completely different ModPacks with completely other configs and mods -.-
If you want to minimize the restart from scratch stay in the same pack besides that don't use packs that are in a beta state but stable ones.
Or simply build your own pack and configuration. It really isn't that much of work. Sheesh

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

My intent is not to switch pack. If I can stay in Unleashed and Unleashed updates to MC 1.6, I would be happy. I don't need the new mods in Monster.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
My intent is not to switch pack. If I can stay in Unleashed and Unleashed updates to MC 1.6, I would be happy. I don't need the new mods in Monster.
You will never get that. Ultimate is still waiting... you must either Midas gold your world or work at making your own pack. Mystcraft is hard to get.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Is starting anew that hard?

If it was about aesthetic builds (and big ones to boot), I could understand the time, effort and love that was showered on the project.

But if it is just about the ore processing chain, power plant, farms (plantations and/or mobs) and maybe accumulated resources, I do not see the reason to not restart.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019

Well you dont need to go caving to get started. 20-30 min in creative will get you enough stuff for a starter base to avoid spelunking. Don't have to stay in creative for very long. But whatever makes you happy :).

EricBuist

That's perfectly true. Creative mode can help.

Here is the final status of this. First I prepared my Unleashed world by moving liquids I wanted to keep out of tanks to capsules. I made a bit of clean up and partitioning of my AE system to make sure I would be preserve some stuff. If there had been a crash when opening the ME access terminal, I had the possibility to move storage cells full of misc items out of the ME drive and put the offending cells into a ME Condenser to get back the storage without the offending contents.

I then used a PatchMaker tool to generate an ID mapping based on mod configuration files. Using NEI dumps gave all sorts of funny mappings, like obsidian plates becoming slabs of marble, carpenter transformed into rain tank, barrels transformed into lasers from an assembly table (was crashing the game because of the barrel metadata incompatible with the laser), etc. The patch maker missed at least two mods, EnderStorage and ChickenChunks. I had to manually add mappings for the ids of these mods. I then removed the EnderStorage folder and ic2_cfg file from the world, after I read they can cause problems.

That done, I fed the patch to mIDas gold, the modified version proposed on this thread. The proper patch is salvaging all my barrels and most of my items. The patched mIDas or the removal of EnderStorage folder avoided the holes in my map.

Then I figured out I just need to preserve my main base. I didn't care about the rest, so I passed the converted map into MCEdit, selected the chunks containing the main base and pruned the rest. This will favor generation of new terrain and avoid any surprise, like getting veins of carpenters, finding an item that crashes the game inside a dungeon chest, etc.

After that, I was able to open all of my chests without crash, except one. I emptied it using an hopper+thrashcan. My AE network was sort of working, except of course I had to remove a bunch of patterns from the mocular assembler because of changed recipes.

The most badly affected portion of my system is the Thermal Expansion conduits and liquiducts. I had to redo pretty much everything, as liquiducts became floating pieces of hardened energy conduits while redstone conduits became floating leadstone conduits. Energy cells became Creative energy cells I had to destroy in creative mode (unbreakable otherwise).

As expected, my Thaumcraft wand was gone. My Thaumcraft room was all messed up: the crucible became an hanging middle block of an infernal furnace. I initially thought I had a block of lava right in my room. Destroyed in creative mode, this blocked became a blaze I had to kill/destroy as well. The infusion altar became warded jars and nodes in a jar that I destroyed. This is normal since Thaumcraft mechanic changed significantly in 4.1 version, and this new mechanic is one of the main reason while I switched modpack. I wanted to have fun with infusion crafting.

Railcraft Creosote oil bucket became cut firestones. I will destroy these since I should not have 15 of this rare item! However, I am a bit concerned by fire hazards if I get 15 cut firestones out of my AE network (from an access terminal). Will every surrounding blocks of wood and dirt set on fire in a few seconds if I hold such an amount of firestones in my inventory?

All Factorization barrels became Deprecated barrels that I will progressively replace with the new barrel style. However, hooking a ME storage bus to the top of a barrel is not enough anymore to let AE push and pull items in the barrel; it would require one bus at top for pushing and one at bottom for pulling, which starts to be a bit expensive and clunky. I will probably end up rearrange this as a system of logistics pipes.

So in conclusion, doable but not easy at all!

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

Here is the final status of this. First I prepared my Unleashed world by moving liquids I wanted to keep out of tanks to capsules. I made a bit of clean up and partitioning of my AE system to make sure I would be preserve some stuff. If there had been a crash when opening the ME access terminal, I had the possibility to move storage cells full of misc items out of the ME drive and put the offending cells into a ME Condenser to get back the storage without the offending contents.

I then used a PatchMaker tool to generate an ID mapping based on mod configuration files. Using NEI dumps gave all sorts of funny mappings, like obsidian plates becoming slabs of marble, carpenter transformed into rain tank, barrels transformed into lasers from an assembly table (was crashing the game because of the barrel metadata incompatible with the laser), etc. The patch maker missed at least two mods, EnderStorage and ChickenChunks. I had to manually add mappings for the ids of these mods. I then removed the EnderStorage folder and ic2_cfg file from the world, after I read they can cause problems.

That done, I fed the patch to mIDas gold, the modified version proposed on this thread. The proper patch is salvaging all my barrels and most of my items. The patched mIDas or the removal of EnderStorage folder avoided the holes in my map.

Then I figured out I just need to preserve my main base. I didn't care about the rest, so I passed the converted map into MCEdit, selected the chunks containing the main base and pruned the rest. This will favor generation of new terrain and avoid any surprise, like getting veins of carpenters, finding an item that crashes the game inside a dungeon chest, etc.

After that, I was able to open all of my chests without crash, except one. I emptied it using an hopper+thrashcan. My AE network was sort of working, except of course I had to remove a bunch of patterns from the mocular assembler because of changed recipes.

The most badly affected portion of my system is the Thermal Expansion conduits and liquiducts. I had to redo pretty much everything, as liquiducts became floating pieces of hardened energy conduits while redstone conduits became floating leadstone conduits. Energy cells became Creative energy cells I had to destroy in creative mode (unbreakable otherwise).

As expected, my Thaumcraft wand was gone. My Thaumcraft room was all messed up: the crucible became an hanging middle block of an infernal furnace. I initially thought I had a block of lava right in my room. Destroyed in creative mode, this blocked became a blaze I had to kill/destroy as well. The infusion altar became warded jars and nodes in a jar that I destroyed. This is normal since Thaumcraft mechanic changed significantly in 4.1 version, and this new mechanic is one of the main reason while I switched modpack. I wanted to have fun with infusion crafting.

Railcraft Creosote oil bucket became cut firestones. I will destroy these since I should not have 15 of this rare item! However, I am a bit concerned by fire hazards if I get 15 cut firestones out of my AE network (from an access terminal). Will every surrounding blocks of wood and dirt set on fire in a few seconds if I hold such an amount of firestones in my inventory?

All Factorization barrels became Deprecated barrels that I will progressively replace with the new barrel style. However, hooking a ME storage bus to the top of a barrel is not enough anymore to let AE push and pull items in the barrel; it would require one bus at top for pushing and one at bottom for pulling, which starts to be a bit expensive and clunky. I will probably end up rearrange this as a system of logistics pipes.

Just go into NEI creative, grab the firestone from the AE terminal and shove it into the NEI creative tab, deleting the item. Prevents it from going into your inventory.
As for all that work...congratulations on getting it to work after all. I guess it is possible although that was A LOT of steps. I know for sure that I wouldn't have the willpower, inclination, or time to do any of that. Oh well. :) Congrats.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019

Congrats! It is a lot of work. And when I did my 1.6.4 conversion, some of the containers for fluids didn't work right in the new mods, so it took extra time to get them to work. Also I didn't have any Thermal Expansion at all, I really missed the liquid transposer. (buckets + turtle + pumps were an odd work-around.)
For factorization barrels, use a portal or gravity gun to move it on top of an import bus (with lever to activate it) setup your storage bus to use the single thing and place the new barrel (and upgrade as needed.) Seed the new barrel then hit the lever on the import bus. Turn the lever off and repeat. You might be able to use a dolly to move them.

Thaumcraft conversions are the trickiest ones, and I ultimately gave up and converted all wands and golems into stone. Also, you must carefully convert everything else too. I hope 1.7 can end this chore.

It is a challenge, but it is possible. I'm glad you persevered. I had the extra challenge of improving MidasGold and I am glad to see somebody else benefit from it.

IMarv