Any point mining Uranium any more?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I remember a day when finding Uranium put a smile on my face. Now I see it and wonder if it's even worth the inventory space.

With the loss of breeders, is it? I appreciate your thoughts!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I think it can be used with Big Reactors, so that's why I collect it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I remember a day when finding Uranium put a smile on my face. Now I see it and wonder if it's even worth the inventory space.

With the loss of breeders, is it? I appreciate your thoughts!
Assuming you're only using it for IC2... no, not really. But IC2 Uranium is oreDictionary compliant. So if a mod uses Uranium and is cool with oreDict versions of it, then oh hell yes there is.
For example, Big Reactors. Uses Yellowrite or something, right? Nope, that stuff is oreDict Uranium so IC2 stuff will work with it. ReactorCraft by Reika, uses Pitchblend, surely not uranium, right? Just kidding, Pitchblend is a natural form of Uranium that needs to be processed, and yes, is uranium oreDict.

Reactions: PierceSG and Pyure

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactors and Reactorcraft of course.
(ReactorCraft is amazing. Just a basic pebble bed can produce 6000 RF/t with a single boiler.)

Reactions: eric167 and Pyure

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
and i just noticed...magic crops have a uranium crop. mining for ores? meh. that was so 8 versions ago.

Reactions: PierceSG

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
and i just noticed...magic crops have a uranium crop. mining for ores? meh. that was so 8 versions ago.
Yup, just need 4 uranium, a seed, and... 4 extreme essence. Yeah, maybe mining for them a while first.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, just need 4 uranium, a seed, and... 4 extreme essence. Yeah, maybe mining for them a while first.

not really. if you have a magic crop or 3 going, you'll already have extra weak essence on hand. I just built an automated system that manages to get all the magic crop drops (via water flooding) and looking at a half stack of weak essence already. Getting new seeds is not hard ;)

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to not mine uranium super early game because I'm more preocuppied with gold, iron, redstone, lapis, tin, copper, etc. But later on, I tend to pick up the spare uranium here and there mainly because I'll find a use for them later on.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
not really. if you have a magic crop or 3 going, you'll already have extra weak essence on hand. I just built an automated system that manages to get all the magic crop drops (via water flooding) and looking at a half stack of weak essence already. Getting new seeds is not hard ;)
Lets look at how many "essence dust" this takes to make, though. 4 for every weak essence, 4 weak essence for every normal essence, 4 normal essence for every strong essence, and 4 strong essence for every extreme essence. So that's "only" 1024 essence dust for one strong essence. You need 4 of them for a crop that uses extreme essence, so that's 4096 for uranium seeds, right? Right... assuming you already have a master infusion stone. If not, it's a additional 8 for the starter one, four weak essence mimimum for the next tier, four normal essence for the next tier, four strong for the next tier... and if you want to do the whole thing in a non-automated manner without going insane, then it's 4 extreme essence for the next tier, aka the master infusion stone.
So lets calculate this from scratch. 4096 for the uranium seeds, 4096 for the infusion stone upgrades, and 8 for the first tier of infusion stone, clocking in at 8200 essence dust minimum.
Even with those occasional weak essence drops, it's a long ways coming.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Assuming you're only using it for IC2... no, not really. But IC2 Uranium is oreDictionary compliant. So if a mod uses Uranium and is cool with oreDict versions of it, then oh hell yes there is.
For example, Big Reactors. Uses Yellowrite or something, right? Nope, that stuff is oreDict Uranium so IC2 stuff will work with it. ReactorCraft by Reika, uses Pitchblend, surely not uranium, right? Just kidding, Pitchblend is a natural form of Uranium that needs to be processed, and yes, is uranium oreDict.

What form of uranium can you put into a BigReactor then? Tiny piles of U-235?

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
my bad...i didnt see the new seed recipes. especially the part with the infusion stones. I played with magic crops when horizons just started and those stones were not part of the mod. that is pretty steep.

but, on the other hand...the farm i built with magic crops *now* is generating a lot of nature and weak essence. already looking at 500+ weak, and 1200+ nature essence, never mind all the other essence drops im processing. I'll have to play with this some more. Im pretty sure some sort of automation can be had for uranium ;)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Lets look at how many "essence dust" this takes to make, though. 4 for every weak essence, 4 weak essence for every normal essence, 4 normal essence for every strong essence, and 4 strong essence for every extreme essence. So that's "only" 1024 essence dust for one strong essence. You need 4 of them for a crop that uses extreme essence, so that's 4096 for uranium seeds, right? Right... assuming you already have a master infusion stone. If not, it's a additional 8 for the starter one, four weak essence mimimum for the next tier, four normal essence for the next tier, four strong for the next tier... and if you want to do the whole thing in a non-automated manner without going insane, then it's 4 extreme essence for the next tier, aka the master infusion stone.
So lets calculate this from scratch. 4096 for the uranium seeds, 4096 for the infusion stone upgrades, and 8 for the first tier of infusion stone, clocking in at 8200 essence dust minimum.
Even with those occasional weak essence drops, it's a long ways coming.

25x25 field of essence crop laughs.

JsutffJr

Jul 29, 2019
Pardon my ignorance (I haven't stayed completely on top of the mod packs since ultimate), but how is uranium no longer useful for ic2? Do you not still need it to make cells to power nuclear reactors? Thanks!

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Pardon my ignorance (I haven't stayed completely on top of the mod packs since ultimate), but how is uranium no longer useful for ic2? Do you not still need it to make cells to power nuclear reactors? Thanks!
The implication is that ic2 reactors aren't worth making probably because of a finicky enet or having a power type that is VERY non universal

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Big ones in monster pack are Big Reactors and Reactorcraft.
for the latter, even a modest pebblebed or 2x2 "normal" generate a LOT of power.

Reactions: Padfoote

DeadMech

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm the crazy one but I'm using RTG pellets and radioisotope generators to keep my AE system functional.