Any good ways of powering a quarry?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

InfiniLife

Jul 29, 2019
Since I have made a quarry moving on from turtles I need a good power source I tried to use my main power source which is 6 magmatic enginges powering all of my needs, except for the quarry. I'm looking for an efficient way of powering my quarry. I'm not sure of any good power source except for magmatic enginges but they seem to not work well for me. So does anyone have a good way of powering a quarry? Thanks for any replies!

EDIT: I'm using the Unleashed pack

Last edited:

Projekt

Jul 29, 2019
Get lots of pumps pumping lava in the nether, with redstone engines hooked up so they pump the lava... Then the lava can head into a tesseract, with another tesseract hooked up right beside a quarry. I would also suggest QuarryPlus if you haven't already got it. Best of luck!

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Lava(and solar) power is boring and uncreative IMO. You could make a tree farm and feed the charcoal to steam dynamos or boilers; You could build a simple reactor from Big Reactors; You could make an endermen farm and feed the pearls to an ender generator; You could get into rotarycraft and even produce over 10k from a single gas turbine. Those are just a few ways, but there are dozens of methods of making power.For your needs, a basic MFR tree farm should suffice :)

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
My quarry powers itself(kinda). The cobble it mines gets pulverized into sand, then togheter with my creeper farm I make Tnt for Tnt Gens

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
As an early-ish game solution, I think it works well to have a tree farm (MFR), then make charcoal and send to steam dynamos placed at the quarry using ender chests and item ducts. Fairly inexpensive and reasonably quick to move. You can have hoppers and chests for the charcoal at the quarry too, if you don't have material for ender chests.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Self-powering quarry: Tree farm runs steam dynamos, powering a handful of magma crucibles. Quarry sends cobblestone to magma crucibles to be melted to lava to power magmatics to power quarry. There you are, fun and interesting lava power.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Self-powering quarry: Tree farm runs steam dynamos, powering a handful of magma crucibles. Quarry sends cobblestone to magma crucibles to be melted to lava to power magmatics to power quarry. There you are, fun and interesting lava power.
Why not just run the quarry directly off of the tree farm instead? It would save the resources, time, and hassle of setting all that other stuff up while also not losing efficiency. I don't see the point in feeding a magma crucible cobblestone to create lava in any situation, unless you want to convert power(there would still a considerable amount of loss). If you need lava, you could just plop down an enderpump. If you want a true self-sustaining quarry that isn't reliant on a secondary source, you can just use the coal that it mines up. You could also turn the cobble into slabs, feed the slabs through a recycler, burn the scrap in several generators, and still get a decent profit.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to the End already, the Ender Generator from Extra Utilities work very well. A single pearl lasts 20 mins for 80 RF/t, a few of these generators with a stack of Ender pearls in them and you won't have to worry about the quarry anymore.

Although, the easiest way is still using a tesseract or EnderIO's dimensional transceiver. Set it up to send energy and receive items and put the counterpart directly on the quarry. (BC quarry and TE tesseract will need an energy conduit to work together, of course.)

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries rock, especially Enderquarries in the Nether running on lava pumped in Nether to Endertanks and sending material back in Enderchests. Mine to Nether ceiling, set fence as far as you like, set up system, walk away. Our first set still hasn't stopped producing from the first setup, and we can't build Rotarycraft processing equipment fast enough. The guys on my server have come up with some really awesome stuff lately/

As far as regular quarries and your predicament, the only sure and consistent renewable resource I know of is coal from a tree farm. That said I like magmatic dynamos if I have a good, easy to access source and I will start with reinforced tanks before moving to ducts pumping it right to the dynamos while sending material back in BC pipes. If you have a large oil source you can build a refinery or two and make fuel for compression dynamos which seem to be very very efficient.

Also, the power cables matter. If you use redstone cables and a redstone energy cell, you can push those quarries unbelievably fast with 400RF per tic, just make sure you have a large chest for a buffer, even if you're piping it out, because if you don't have Ender chests yet you will have a material geyser at the backup coming out of the quarry, btdt lol.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If you are running on Monster, then your quarry is digging up uranium and yellorite. So the logical choice is a Big Reactors reactor which outputs RF directly. Use a tesseract to get power to the quarry and items back- you will need a few segments of item pipe and redstone conductive pipe to form a power bridge and convert RF to MJ the quarry needs.

Ah. Unleashed is MC 1.5.x and Thermal Expansion 2.
You will need two tesseracts on each side to deal with power AND items. The choice of power is much less obvious.
For me the elegant solution would be to use the Quarr's own native (buildcraft) power system: You could find a large oil well, pop a chunkloader, pump and tesseract to pipe oil back to your base, where you refine it into fuel. Then carry portable containers of fuel to fill an array of combustion engines - fuel is very efficient in MB 1.5.2 and you should iirc be able to quarry out an entire 64x64 quarry with ~16 buckets of fuel powering two combustion engines.

Last edited: