Any good Giant Castle tutorials ???

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I'm planning a massive build of a extra large Castle (160x160) and I'm searching for some tutorials and ideas, I got some plans in my head but I'm quite sure I'll forget a lot of details. I plan entirely on a medieval themed Castle, with a stable, a Blacksmith and such inside, the area won't have many mods in it but will have some parts of Tinkers Construct Smeltery for the Blacksmith (make sense after all) and a few mods that can provide like the drawbridge for the doors and suchm and microblocks for decoration. Also plan a stable for horses, a dock for some ships (I added Archimedes Ships to my DW20 modpack)

Strangely enough it seems I'm the only one that want to build a large Castle in survival using mods to help me out, I saw a couple of awesome Castles build using creative mode on youtube, but no real tutorials on them.

Any help is appreciated if you got any ideas that would match the medieval theme...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of tools you'll really want in survival mode are the Builder's Wand from Extra Utilities and the Wand of Equal Trade from Thaumcraft.

If you can program Lua quickly, Turtles are also a huge help.

As for making cobblestone or smoothstone, TE3 Igneous Extruder is cheap and effective. Spam 10+ of those and you'll be pumping out more (cobble)stone than you can use. Tree farms are of course good for making wood.

I like big, long, slow builds in survival mode. I'm working on a large wizard's tower that has a spiral of platforms for farms around it. It will take weeks to finish this tower. I'm building it as I'm progressing through the game, i.e. climbing the tech and magic ladders.

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
interestin. Mostly I do medieval/rustic/steam punk/psychodelic builds. I just restarted my world, and am finishing my little workshop. I will post some pictures to give you some hints how you can do things with ftb based modpacks.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of tools you'll really want in survival mode are the Builder's Wand from Extra Utilities and the Wand of Equal Trade from Thaumcraft.

If you can program Lua quickly, Turtles are also a huge help.

As for making cobblestone or smoothstone, TE3 Igneous Extruder is cheap and effective. Spam 10+ of those and you'll be pumping out more (cobble)stone than you can use. Tree farms are of course good for making wood.

I like big, long, slow builds in survival mode. I'm working on a large wizard's tower that has a spiral of platforms for farms around it. It will take weeks to finish this tower. I'm building it as I'm progressing through the game, i.e. climbing the tech and magic ladders.

Already got 380000 smooth stone from Igneous Extruder, planned that build a long time ago so no worry about the materials, I also just started a obsidian deep storage unit on top of a igneous extruder so should have no problems with that since its on my own private server and it runs 24h/24 and the place where it is the stuff is chunkloaded. Also have a tree farm that keep 50k oak wood in my system, no worry for the materials, I'm covered.

Also got a nice turtle program that can take care of most of the boring stuff (platforms, walls) but for the walls, I may try the builders wand, I got a bunch of them but never ever used any, I didn't start thaumcraft 4. don't wan't to search for that damn awesome wand of equal trade, too much trouble to get it. A Nice tool I found is some kind of a tape that help mesure the distance and such, so nice, can't remember the exact name and mod it comes from but its awesome to be exact on the distance and size.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Try building in creative once you have the materials. Afterall, that's one of the main things creative solves is to allow people to build really complex structures.

Also, the best solution I have for building cool stuff is to search for references and make the one you like the most. Try surrealist art and devianart

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like you have a good start on the materials and tools. And, you have to try the builder's wand. It's awesome.

A Nice tool I found is some kind of a tape that help mesure the distance and such, so nice, can't remember the exact name and mod it comes from but its awesome to be exact on the distance and size.

Bibliocraft

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, will try to get inspiration, I already made a Castle, but I quickly realized it was way too small for everything I wanted to add to it, so I got my goal setup for a larger build, I'll have to learn how that builder's wand work, quite sure it will be easy to find on youtube, just hope it will work with any kind of blocks cause I use a lot of the Chisel ones...

Graeme97

Jul 29, 2019
Yogscasts Sjin's let's build is good, help alot, though it is in creative mode, it shows him commentating and making a castle in 3'rd person (Using another player flying in creative) and sped up.
Check it out, I'm not doing it justice.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It's super-easy to use. Just right-click on any block and it will place up to 9 blocks of that same type. When you're holding it and hovering over a block, it will give you a "ghost" block preview. Right-click to place. It will take those blocks from your inventory. It's super-fast, too.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Yogscasts Sjin's let's build is good, help alot, though it is in creative mode, it shows him commentating and making a castle in 3'rd person (Using another player flying in creative) and sped up.
Check it out, I'm not doing it justice.

Really not my kind of LP at all, don't like the way he speaks, his voice gets on my nerves quickly I'll never know why... Same thing happens with BeBopVox, speak so fast and in annoying kids tone...

It's super-easy to use. Just right-click on any block and it will place up to 9 blocks of that same type. When you're holding it and hovering over a block, it will give you a "ghost" block preview. Right-click to place. It will take those blocks from your inventory. It's super-fast, too.

Can it work to make a floor, if it can make a floor, it will be a part of my arsenal for sure, in fact, I'll give it a try in around 10-15 minutes to see what I can do with it...

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Ive been working on a simmilar thing (120x120 castle) for awhile now. Testing stuff in creative has been a HUGE help. then i can get an idea of how things will look before I commit to creating lots of difficult to acquire resources. (try creating 5k frostbound blocks with no TE3...)

Another thing that has helped is to draw the thing out on graph paper. This gets me away from the distractions of the game and lets me concentrate on designing things.

And if i can ever get my CC code to behave, these big builds will be cake.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It does flat surfaces and straight walls extremely well. It also does corners very well. For a floor, just place (manually) 9 blocks of your floor and then switch to the builder's wand. Hover the wand over the side of the floor in the direction you wish to expand. Then, right-click when you're happy with the ghost blocks.

AndreMaartens

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, will try to get inspiration, I already made a Castle, but I quickly realized it was way too small for everything I wanted to add to it, so I got my goal setup for a larger build, I'll have to learn how that builder's wand work, quite sure it will be easy to find on youtube, just hope it will work with any kind of blocks cause I use a lot of the Chisel ones...
YouTube: keralis he is an amazing builder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
IMO do NOT just build a square castle. Its rather dull tbh. Find a nice hill and build a realistic castle as the landscape allows. Circular towers covering the walls, multiple layers of defences. Arrow slits with microblocks, wooden battlements on the walls, oil shutes over the gateways.

It end up looking much much better and is a far more interesting build. I did one of these once long ago for a thaumcraft lab. Marble brick walls, FULLY smoothed with microblocks all around. One of the most satisfying builds I have ever made.

Last edited:

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
IMO do NOT just build a square castle. Its rather dull tbh. Find a nice hill and build a realistic castle as the landscape allows. Circular towers covering the walls, multiple layers of defences. Arrow slits with microblocks, wooden battlements on the walls, oil shutes over the gateways.

It end up looking much much better and is a far more interesting build. I did one of these once long ago for a thaumcraft lab. Marble brick walls, FULLY smoothed with microblocks all around. One of the most satisfying builds I have ever made.

Sorry but that's not the kind of build I can manage to do, would have to flatten so much terrain to do it, without creative tools like WorldEdit, it would be so hard, and especially with so many biomes, there's no biomes large enough on my map to cover my plan except maybe a desert but I don't think a medieval Castle would look ok in a Desert, I have some plans for pyramids there...

My actual plan is a Square Castle but with towers that won't be exactly square, I tried to make them look like a circle tower but Minecraft cubic world prevent this, to make them realistic in circle they would be too big, but I may try to see again with the new size I have in mind maybe some circle towers could look right on this one.

And the Builders wand is my new friend for now...

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
My actual plan is a Square Castle but with towers that won't be exactly square, I tried to make them look like a circle tower but Minecraft cubic world prevent this, to make them realistic in circle they would be too big, but I may try to see again with the new size I have in mind maybe some circle towers could look right on this one.

And the Builders wand is my new friend for now...
Create a 'large biomes' world and you will have spots big enough. Especially swamp or plains.

And while you cant make stuff perfectly round you can get "close enough" if you arrange the blocks right. Get a hold of world edit and mess around in creative to create circles of various sizes.
If you run 2 servers, one "real" and one in creative mode with worldEdit, you can always swap over to the creative mode server to test things.

Instant tower with world edit:
/hcyl 5 10 stone

Another option is to look into using microblocks. Just the simple 'pillars' will give you 4x the resolution for making stuff look round.

Ive done the worldEdit in a creative server, and it works very well. Im still experimenting with microblocks.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I have plans for microblocks and also maybe some Carpenters Blocks which I also added to my server pack, but my main goal is to not use any kind of worldedit and such, I had fun with WorldEdit and made some awesome glass spheres in a Vanilla World in MC1.2.5, it was awesome, but there's no real credit for using WorldEdit, the challenge is to build something in Survival, much more challenging, and with the help of some mods like the builders wand and the Morph mod (thanks to the bat ability to fly) its like being in creative somehow) My Castle is on a platform I'm building at the moment in the ocean near some different biomes so there will be a bridge/drawbridge that will lead to the mainland to travel using horses and such. I found an awesome turtle program that can do a bunch of different forms, it can build some cylinder forms, I may test it out to see what a cylinder tower of 5 or 6 radius would look like.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah worldedit is very cheaty IMO, which is why I used it for testing on my creative server. So use it for TESTING, and do this on your creative or SSP server. Build whatever shape you want to test. Then it becomes a counting game to transfer the shape to your "real" server.

but having the turtle build stuff can work almost as well. You need to mine the resources, and its harder to undo mistakes.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
The towers are starting to take shape, but the mainland isn't finished, I'm probably not the only one, here's a view from the top, there's a slime island on top of it but I may take it off in the future.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah worldedit is very cheaty IMO, which is why I used it for testing on my creative server. So use it for TESTING, and do this on your creative or SSP server. Build whatever shape you want to test. Then it becomes a counting game to transfer the shape to your "real" server.

but having the turtle build stuff can work almost as well. You need to mine the resources, and its harder to undo mistakes.

It is only cheaty if you dont turn on inventory usage in the configs.

Also three other tools you will want in your pack.
1) Mekanism's digital miner randomly takes blocks when it mines and allows you to replace blocks in the process. This allows you to add "noise" to walls and structures using the mossy and cracked versions of the stone bricks I'm sure you will use. Have it set to mine stone brick and replace with cracked or mossy and you're golden

2) MFFS will let you place blocks in shapes like circles, squares, and half circles. You can "preview" the shape by leaving it as a regular force field, then transform it into the kind that replaces its field with blocks. Caveat is it needs power.

3) OpenBlocks has a building guide that you can use to show you a ghost shape for you to build yourself. It is the non powered manual altnerative to MFFS.

Additionally, build with large repeating patterns using multiple block types to keep large structures looking interesting. Even with simple geometry you can make builds look a ton better by varying the blocks with a pattern. For instance I used to use cobblestone to make smooth stone look like large 3x5 bricks in the wall and the cobble looked like morter.