Any aides for taking glamorous shots in-game?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hey all :)

I have been working really hard to take some screenshots of some really great sights for my server. Right now I'm running Optifine on Extreme draw distance and some shaders running around and "drawing" the backdrop for my scene then taking pictures. This is a great way to get long far shots but it can glitch from time to time and clear completely, requiring me to do it again.

Here's an example. I would have liked the draw distance to go even farther but I used up a lot of resources rendering a big chunk of that hill to the right.

tcWRvEM.jpg

I am looking for a program or tips for taking massive world screenshots. I mean I want draw distance to be no object. I want to be able to sit in one place and just let the world render what is in my FOV. And have it go on until the fog completely obscures it. I want to bring depth and life to my pictures, and I am hoping you guys can help.

Thanks!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I take it you took this screenshot ingame? if I recall this correctly, there should be some programs on the internet that can actually render a minecraft world in a way like that, and you can use a program like that to render a screenshot. I don't know anymore how these programs were called, as it's already been a few years since the last time I saw them

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
One of the programs I believe was called " Chunky ", but I know not if it is still up to date as I have never used it. Sorry. I cannot provide a link but if your "Google-fu" is stong then...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Can't certain graphics cards enable you to render a game in a very super wide ratio (like for duel screeners)? Then again even if that was true it probably wouldn't work with minecraft.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Any aides for taking glamorous shots in-game?
my 1st thought - build a bathroom.
2nd - apply duckface to your skin.
3rd - wait, do they have mirrors in mincraft?

as for the screenshot itself, it looks great, however i personally don't like trees in foreground because the clearly show that it's minecraft alright.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

as for the screenshot itself, it looks great, however i personally don't like trees in foreground because the clearly show that it's minecraft alright.
Man this is modded minecraft, there was a time where the portal gun mod let you look through the portal. If they can do that simple mirrors are easy (well as far as I can guess).

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Man this is modded minecraft, there was a time where the portal gun mod let you look through the portal. If they can do that simple mirrors are easy (well as far as I can guess).
it appears there is a mod for 1.2.5 that adds mirrors, so version for more recent versions of minecraft might exist too. with that it's possible to make screenshot of a mirror with a duckface in it, but i'm not sure if it's a good thing...

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
it appears there is a mod for 1.2.5 that adds mirrors, so version for more recent versions of minecraft might exist too. with that it's possible to make screenshot of a mirror with a duckface in it, but i'm not sure if it's a good thing...

43592-cat-abandon-thread-gif-lMoq.gif

I remember yogscast reviewed something to help with screenies and moviess inminecraft

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my, that is impressive... how do you get these shader packs working? I've tried so many times and just given up.

Running DW20 1.6.4 with Sphax texture pack.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Oh my, that is impressive... how do you get these shader packs working? I've tried so many times and just given up.

Running DW20 1.6.4 with Sphax texture pack.
I wrote a thread about it somewhere in these forums. Here's the quick and dirty:

Download GLSL ShadersMod core. Install it as a mod.
Download Optifine. Either it will work or it won't, YMMV. Install it as a mod.
Download your preferred shader pack. Do a lot of looking for what your computer can handle. Put shader zips and stuff into the /minecraft/shaderpacks directory.
Launch Minecraft.
Before you start a game switch Options>Video Settings and change "Graphics" to Fast. Then you can tweak stuff later. Disable Optifine features like anti-aliasing and mip-mapping, and if you feel the need you can try to add them later.
Select your shader in the "Shader" section of Options>Shaders. Then tweak to your heart's content.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy