And so I'm making a Galgadorian Drill...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
And the annoying part is that there's no easy way to get Ghast Tears!

Any advice on how to farm them?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If I recall correctly, you can capture a ghast with a safari net and then auto-spawn them through MFR.

They need a large space, but that's probably the easiest way to farm them.

Of course, you need at least one ghast tear to make a safari net. So there's that.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
in the old versions of Twilight Forest you could go to those huge towers, and fight small ghasts, and they would drop ghast tears.
you'd find a whole bunch of them everywhere, but sadly the ghast tear drop has been removed from the latest versions

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Recent version of IC2 include some crop card addons as core. Included in this selection is IDontNow's Crops, which were intended to allow the player to get mob drops without having a crap load of mobs around to murder like crazy. Work like a mad man and get the tears via IC2 Crops!

Or, I suppose you could try and get Ghastly bees from Thaumic Bees. They produce Ghast Tears... and Ghasts.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, you need at least one ghast tear to make a safari net. So there's that.

Nope, you don't. 1 leather, 1 slime, 4 string = 1 single-use safari net.

The ghast tear is needed for the unlimited variant. So use the single-use to snag the first, then once you poke it in the eye and get its tear, get the unlimited variant to get a second.

Though I'm not sure how the safari net is going to help. The problem I have with obtaining ghast tears isn't in the killing of the ghast, but rather the catching of the tear before it falls into lava. A safari net, to hit a ghast, would need to be launched and would fall from where it hits and captures the ghast, thus creating the same problem as the tear. :)

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, you don't. 1 leather, 1 slime, 4 string = 1 single-use safari net.

The ghast tear is needed for the unlimited variant. So use the single-use to snag the first, then once you poke it in the eye and get its tear, get the unlimited variant to get a second.

Though I'm not sure how the safari net is going to help. The problem I have with obtaining ghast tears isn't in the killing of the ghast, but rather the catching of the tear before it falls into lava. A safari net, to hit a ghast, would need to be launched and would fall from where it hits and captures the ghast, thus creating the same problem as the tear. :)

I meant the safari net that is required to use in an auto-spawner.

You know, the auto-spawner that can create an unlimited amount of a mob within a safe, no-lava environment?

All you need to do is catch ONE ghast above Netherrack, as opposed to catching every single one that you need a tear for above netherrack. I'd say that's a sizeable difference.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, here is my option:

If you are a lazy bastard who will not hunt them down, just cheat them in.

I mean, they gave you the options you needed, and you rejected them. If you're playing minecraft but don't want to play minecraft to get stuff, you do one of 2 things: You stop playing minecraft or you cheat things in. Easy :)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
And the annoying part is that there's no easy way to get Ghast Tears!

Any advice on how to farm them?

Seriously, MFR has your back on this. You can spawn them. Set up a high volume cow farm using a railcraft feeder and cows and 2 chronotypes (one to pull kids out of the population and one to pull it out of the child pen into the grinder pen). Then grind for essence. Use a spawner with a captured ghast. Again, MFR can kill these for you and give essence back as well (although I think it's a net loss). But if you can get Immibis Liquid Experience installed, then you can also collect LXP from this which will give you the very best auto-enchantment stuff available in modded minecraft (both mechanically and design-wise).

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
All you need to do is catch ONE ghast above Netherrack, as opposed to catching every single one that you need a tear for above netherrack. I'd say that's a sizeable difference.

Eh, not even one. You're going to want a jetpack eventually so why not craft one before hunting ghasts? Then you can catch the tear before it lands in lava. Even easier if you are able to make a Coin of Fortune as well.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, not even one. You're going to want a jetpack eventually so why not craft one before hunting ghasts? Then you can catch the tear before it lands in lava. Even easier if you are able to make a Coin of Fortune as well.

'Cause he's lazy.

And BTW, yeah, this is the best option. And there's this other item that attracts item drops to you, like Nei does.. But i don't remember it's name, ive lost it in a mystcraft Meteorite-to-my-head accident.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I spent about 15m making a T5 Ghast soul shard. Setup a farm with high energy pellet launchers to kill the ghasts. It produces a lot of tears/gunpowder.

The sad part is regardless of how easy it is to acquire those tears the drill bit still isn't worth it.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
I spent about 15m making a T5 Ghast soul shard. Setup a farm with high energy pellet launchers to kill the ghasts. It produces a lot of tears/gunpowder.

The sad part is regardless of how easy it is to acquire those tears the drill bit still isn't worth it.

15 minutes? what? 1 killed ghast and 9 cows trick?

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I found my answer: make a tier 5 soul shard by combining a level 0 ghast shard with a level 5 zombie shard.

I like the high energy pellet idea. I'll try that.

Why the hell am I doing this? I wanted to build a huge ass tunnel, but I want to try something different other than frames.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I found my answer: make a tier 5 soul shard by combining a level 0 ghast shard with a level 5 zombie shard.

Why the hell am I doing this? I wanted to build a huge ass tunnel, but I want to try something different other than frames.

That drill will, um, do the trick. It's also insanely fast! Way faster than any frame machine I've ever seen. The biggest problem is that you'll have huge problems storing all the jumk you generate. In 1.5.1+ you can use lava tanks to burn the junk, but alas...

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
That drill will, um, do the trick. It's also insanely fast! Way faster than any frame machine I've ever seen. The biggest problem is that you'll have huge problems storing all the jumk you generate. In 1.5.1+ you can use lava tanks to burn the junk, but alas...
Battbox + batteries + sorting machine + item tesseract + cargo manager = pure win. LOL

StreetKing

Jul 29, 2019

BTW is combining soul shards an exploit or intentional ? I always wanted to know.